Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-04-2019, 11:43 PM

If you zoom into the above pictures, you'll see the new wiring is steel armour coated. And, they are also colour matched - matching the cedar wood walls. Yes. I live in Ontario and in Ontario, old aluminum wiring is becoming like the very old Knob & Tube. re: If its aluminum wiring, its near impossible to get house insurance. And if one gets house insurance, its very expensive. Thus, another reason why I'm converting OLD AGE unsafe non-protected copper wiring with armour protected copper (as shown in the pictures). And during the future summer months, I'll also be replacing its aluminum lighting wiring with new copper 14/2 wiring - inside 1/2" EMT steel pipe. And, the steel pipe will be colour matching the cedar walls as well. Being a cottage, I'm only allowed to work on Saturdays (after sleeping in). Sundays are for days of rest. Yes. This wiring upgrade will get done. Slow cottage pace - like a retired racing turtle. smiles.

Last edited by Jack99; 03-05-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:42 PM
Post Fiend

Good call on the MC cable. I think code here in US is hanger within 6" of box, then every 24" (I think). It can be laid in an enclosed ceiling without hangers such as in-between fixtures. Must go into a metal box/fixture with specific clamp and chafe bushing. Grounding is done with the green conductor inside the MC. Some types have a separate "bonding" wire but I don't think you need that...

I have a rental mobile home I ran metal conduit in to replace this strip that had twist-in receptacles. It is supported at every upright and last I checked, was holding out well.

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 03-07-2019, 04:05 AM
Elite Member

The NEC has the same requirements for protecting NM sheathed cable, "Romex®", & Metal Clad cable, MC from physical damage so doing it the way the OP did it would not be code compliant in the US.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

If your gonna use surface mounted handy boxes....Barf.

Why not use the corresponding metal cover (it doesn't extend
all around the box like your plastic wall ones do) and then paint them ?

IIRC "wiremold" makes surface mount ones for in an office and the like.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
If your gonna use surface mounted handy boxes....Barf.

Why not use the corresponding metal cover (it doesn't extend
all around the box like your plastic wall ones do) and then paint them ?

IIRC "wiremold" makes surface mount ones for in an office and the like.
If someone is going to use handy/gem boxes, they should spread out their hands on a anvil or other hard surface while someone hits each finger 10 times with a 5 pound hammer, after that if they still want to use those crap boxes, go ahead, if it was not for the destroy it yourself, DIY, market, those boxes would have gone out of production. As you might guess I hate those boxes, there is almost no intelligent reason to use one, as it is like trying to shove 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag when using them.