Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 03-06-2019, 12:58 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
OK, this looks like a good place to ask a dumb question.

Is it possible to parallel 2 inverters, off the same or different battery systems?

What I'm trying to accomplish is added 120 VAC available on the tow/responder rig, for things like laptops, TV's, battery chargers, cordless drill's, rechargeable lights, cell phones, radio's, Etc. When All the onboard generator power is in use, and fully loaded with stationary tools or other useful gear. (think, a surface mount tap strip, powered from the aux batteries on the tow vehicle, charged from the truck alternator)

I added 2 950 AH batteries to the tow rig for use when boondocking with the 5th wheel trailer, to supplement the house batteries in the trailer.

They are charged from the truck alternator, thru an isolator. The ability to supply additional 120 VAC for recharging personal electronics when needed would be a welcome addition under emergency conditions.

Thanks,
RED
Ok I’ve read this three times and the fog is lifting but I’m not 100% on it. When you say parallel are you trying to take two 2500 wattt inverters and run one 5000 watt load? Or two invertors running off the same batteries powering different things?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:02 PM
Something's Fishy ...

some inverters have paralleling built in for use with another unit from the same company. it works by designating one as the master and all others as slaves. the master uses whips and chains er communications through the linking cable to the slaves to make them toe the line. There may be a universal protocol that works with different inverters but when you get to that level it would probably be cheaper to just get one larger inverter and skip the complications.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:41 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
some inverters have paralleling built in for use with another unit from the same company. it works by designating one as the master and all others as slaves. the master uses whips and chains er communications through the linking cable to the slaves to make them toe the line. There may be a universal protocol that works with different inverters but when you get to that level it would probably be cheaper to just get one larger inverter and skip the complications.
There are 12v inverters out there now for the same money if you shop around
that will produce 220v.120v and done right you will never need to run an underpowered inverter and can be stepped down from 220v to 120v
I don't know but a 150.00 120V inverter or a 220V/110 inverter for the same price Humm. I'll go 220v/120v any time that is for the application I might need it for...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Da Chief

OK, my plan is clearing up a bit, My high draw 120 VAC needs are easily met, when camped, by the genset. 2 AUX batteries on the truck and 2 house batteries in the trailer. (or just plugged into the campground lollipop)

The trailer A/C will likely not run all night on batteries, so it's either shore power or genset if we need cool, overnight.

The 5th wheel has an installed inverter to charge the house batteries when on shore power or the generator.

Down the road, running 4 in cab 12 VDC outlets, as well as 2 small inverters, (400/700 and 1200/1400) drawing from the start /run batteries, total of 4 120 VDC plugins. That should be all the power we could ever need when moving. (a 12 VDC warming coffee carafe is priceless from jacks up 'till lunch.)

Plugging the AUX batteries in series with the House batteries, when towing, should keep all the trailer batteries charged ready for an overnight stop. (thru an isolator, from the truck alternator)

I think the best plan for providing 120 Vac charging outlets would be a single large (2000 watts) inverter, fed from the AUX battery bank, or perhaps from the genset, if there is power available, depending on the need.

what is the best choice, true sine wave or modified sine wave? (I don't really understand the difference)

Are there any holes in my plan?

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
OK, my plan is clearing up a bit, My high draw 120 VAC needs are easily met, when camped, by the genset. 2 AUX batteries on the truck and 2 house batteries in the trailer. (or just plugged into the campground lollipop)

The trailer A/C will likely not run all night on batteries, so it's either shore power or genset if we need cool, overnight.

The 5th wheel has an installed inverter to charge the house batteries when on shore power or the generator.

Down the road, running 4 in cab 12 VDC outlets, as well as 2 small inverters, (400/700 and 1200/1400) drawing from the start /run batteries, total of 4 120 VDC plugins. That should be all the power we could ever need when moving. (a 12 VDC warming coffee carafe is priceless from jacks up 'till lunch.)

Plugging the AUX batteries in series with the House batteries, when towing, should keep all the trailer batteries charged ready for an overnight stop. (thru an isolator, from the truck alternator)

I think the best plan for providing 120 Vac charging outlets would be a single large (2000 watts) inverter, fed from the AUX battery bank, or perhaps from the genset, if there is power available, depending on the need.

what is the best choice, true sine wave or modified sine wave? (I don't really understand the difference)

Are there any holes in my plan?
pure or true sinewave is better from what tiny bit I understand about it and that ain't much at all but the price is reflected between the cost of the two types of inverters sold.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Be sure your load will run on a modified sine wave inverter. Pure sine wave inverters are much more expensive but do produce grid quality power. Most,power hand tools and small motors work fine on the cheaper inverters. Some cordless tool chargers and electronics do not like it.

I just installed a Schneider 4kw pure sine wave inverter with a 120/240 Volt AC output and a 24 volt DC input on my son's off grid residence in rural Idaho. It's an amazing piece of engineering. Weighs 80 lbs.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

Just in case someone wants one. Aired up my Case 580 backhoe tires with it today. Works great. It finally stopped raining. 22.2 inches of rain here YTD. 5 in Jan, 13 in Feb and 4.2 in March so far. Im sick of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0309190833~2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	149830  
Old 03-10-2019, 05:37 PM
Da Chief

AH YUP, that's what I want. Anybody ever seen one in 12 VDC?

I have a 120 VAC Hitachi twin tank that I was going to put in a pelican case on the truck bed. (A buddy borrowed my last HF compressor and ran it to death, he gave me the Hitachi to replace it)

The plan was to run it on the Yamaha genset when I needed it.

I'm now thinkin' of mounting a pancake tank up under the bed and plumbing it as a stand alone reserve tank, with a shrader valve at the bed rail, for the air lock slider and also plumbing it (QC hose) as an extra volume tank when I'm using the main compressor / tanks with air tools. (impact wrench, jacks etc.)

Comments?

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
pure or true sinewave is better from what tiny bit I understand about it and that ain't much at all but the price is reflected between the cost of the two types of inverters sold.
RED, most of the wandelodges have 2 inverters,mostly for extra battery charging and redundancy.
The inverter people say you can run a roof air off of an inverter but it really does not work so good.
Heres what happens.
The inverter overheats.
the alternator overheats,300amp delco oil cooled alternator,DN50,very expensive.
We run two 3000watt inverter chargers,one side of the bus runs on one inverter,the other side runs on the 2nd one.
We run 6 4d batteries,Lifelines,about $600 each.

The weak points of inverters is batty cap and the alternator,and the belt on the alt.
With 2 truck batteries (group 31?) your not going to run much for long.
You really need some L16 batteries or something with some ass.

Inverters are good for TVs and crock pots and computers,but you need a true sine wave to run electronics,even running a coffee maker with a clock in it will not work on a modified sine wave.
Microwaves don't like inverters either,yeah,everybody says they will work fine,but in the real world they make odd noises when running on even the best true sine wave inverter.

Odd noises will result in releasing the magic smoke.

My personal coach had 2 inverters,i have one in it now,and my battery pack is 4 L16s.
The alternator is down sized too,to a 160 amp.
I use my diesel generator to power the mic,and the ac units.

Diesel fuel is cheaper than 3600 bucks worth of batteries,$3000 worth of inverters and $5000 for an alternator.

The L16s are $300 each from my supplier,so i have 1200 in them,they last for years if you take care of them.