Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Elite Member

Well, I went into the dryer to grab my clothes this morning, they were still wet! Seems someone forgot to turn the gas valve back on once he put everything together! (Dryer mounts to top of washer) So I re-ran the dryer with the gas on and it works much better.

Though now the water petcocks leak at the stem from never using them in 14+ years.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
Though now the water petcocks leak at the stem from never using them in 14+ years.
Try tightening the packing nuts. Usually doesn't take much if it's going to work; be sure to use a backup wrench so as not to twist the valve on the pipe, or twist the copper line.
Hint: turn the stops off before tightening. One time I tried turning the nut with the stop out in the full on position and the center of the nut popped out.
Makes a considerable wet mess.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Not sure how i managed it, but it seems i got the hot and cold hooked up backwards. Good thing i haven't fixed the leaky packing yet!
Old 12-07-2016, 02:46 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Not sure how i managed it, but it seems i got the hot and cold hooked up backwards. Good thing i haven't fixed the leaky packing yet!
Don't feel lonely. Lots of my days seem to go that way. However, yesterday I put in a new worm drive gear and a new pawl for the Penn 320GT level wind reel, and I did not lose any screws or reassemble any parts out of turn!!!!

You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.
Harry S. Truman
Old 12-07-2016, 03:13 PM
SFT Historian

Quote:

If they are the old fiber seals, they dry-out and need to be replaced.
not being able to find half moon seals I ended up cutting the round/square ones about 1/8" longer, and squishing them in with the nut.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Gold Star Dad

Awhile back I had to replace the rear bearing in my dryer drum. Ordered parts on-line, but something didn't match up right. Tried to make do, but messed up the parts. So I went to a local appliance place. The Mfgr changed the design, so the replacement wasn't like the original. The old gal behind the parts counter knew exactly what I needed.

Worse was replacing the spin-cycle brake pads in the top-loading washing machine. Houdini would have had a hard time laying on the floor and reaching back under the front of the machine to get to the bottom of the tub.

I will say that some of the various YouTube videos on appliance repair are great. I picked up a free lawnmower that needs a new drive belt. Found a video by an old guy that shows the exact model and how to do it in the least amount of time. Sometimes it isn't obvious on machines designed for minimal production cost.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

Seems its decided it wants more attention.

I believe the timer is going out. After setting it to do its thing, 40 min later, its only half way done, just sitting there thinking.

Guess I'll order a timer and see if she starts choochin again.