Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 03-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Below Wholesale

Default Truck tool storage

After reading the socket post, I got thinking. What are ya'all doing for hand tool storage on trucks/trailers. How do you keep it organized and more important not rattle like 100lbs of tools in a metal box? I have seen these advertised..seems like a nice idea but they are way overpriced, does not solve the rattle problem..
http://www.montezumamfg.com/show.htm

Last edited by Cavalry; 03-28-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Elite Member

You can get all fancy with this, I havent done it, but it's an option:

http://www.toolfoam.com/

The CPL toolbox like you posted is very popular around here, many people have them mounted to their truck. I have seen guys with 2, one for metric, one for standard. I have seen a flatbed driving by once that had 4 of them, yikes. At one time they made them with parts bins in them, with holes and pins to store nuts, bolts and washers. Not sure if those are still around.

On my service truck, I have one compartment with drawers, and I just chuck the drawers full of crap, one has dividers, holding aresol bottles, the next has pliers, crescent wrenches and such, the next has 15-24" pipe wrenches and 24" crescent wrenches. After that it becomes less organized, with a drawer full of sharps (saw blades, grinding disks, sandpaper, emery cloth, etc) and then below that it's almost a free for all, impact wrenches, socket sets, etc. I need to organize the things more, but never get around to it. Most of the rest of the compartments are more organized, with dividers for hardware and parts. Visit this thread to see some pics, http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5139 it's not done though, but it's on the list (along with a million other things.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:13 PM
Below Wholesale

Do the clp ones rattle as much as I think they might?

I wish I had the space like you do.. I am limited to a tool chest sized container.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

They aren't too bad. There's a piece of foam rubber along the back wall to stop the wrenches from clanging too bad.

Are you concerned about noise or tool damage/finish getting rubbed off, etc?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt

Are you concerned about noise or tool damage/finish getting rubbed off, etc?
This would be for my off road truck. It drives me nuts listening to all that noise when I should be hearing something else. Now I pack my tool box drawers with rags...but thats a problem as well.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

All the custom combiners I know use the tool box you use. Well, other than the really big guys who have a special service unit. But I worked for a custom combiner for about a week, and most of that time was running up and down praire trails for repairs. I can't recall the tools rattling all that much, but then again, he had the box under a topper.

The true weld test isn't done by bending metal or with x-rays, the true testament to how strong a weld is how much you cuss trying to take a piece off that you welded in the wrong place. ~ AntiBling
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM
Elite Member

If all you are worried about is noise, go to the kitchen dept at a WalMart.
They have sheets of that foam that you can use instead of rags to cushion the wrenchs.
To me it looks like the same stuff they sell it the tool dept. just a lot cheaper.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Below Wholesale

the rags "fill" up the drawer space so the tools dont jump (and rattle) against the drawers and themselves.