Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

 
 
SFT Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2024, 08:42 AM
ejiles ejiles is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: front royal Va.
Posts: 2
Default sebastian lathe in a box

First post here, I just purchased an old sebastian lathe that has been completely disassembled. I want to get it back together and am looking for a user manual of assembly manual or just allot of pictures show how this was originally put together. I believe its a 1915 13". It has the name SEBASTIAN on a brass plate, it was originally blue and it weighs 1500 + lbs.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2024, 09:06 AM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,988
Default

Try looking on Vintage Machinery.org website. They have a lot of manuals and info on older machines, especially if it was made in USA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2024, 10:46 AM
Shade Tree Welder's Avatar
Shade Tree Welder Shade Tree Welder is offline
Grumpy Bastard
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kankakee County, IL
Posts: 23,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Try looking on Vintage Machinery.org website. They have a lot of manuals and info on older machines, especially if it was made in USA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://vintagemachinery.org/
__________________
Shade

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2024, 01:40 PM
LKeithR's Avatar
LKeithR LKeithR is offline
Hey...wait...is there a prize?
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Langley, B.C.
Posts: 5,734
Default

Some info here...

http://www.lathes.co.uk/sebastian/index.html
__________________
Keith

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2024, 02:54 PM
ejiles ejiles is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2024
Location: front royal Va.
Posts: 2
Default the pictures help

Thankyou, the pictures help. I have most of it assembled but i believe this was someone's frankenstien's lathe. There is a gear on a shaft with a smaller gear on the other end. I can see where it use to go but I can not see its function? I will post a picture if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gears.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	171093  

Last edited by ejiles; 06-08-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2024, 05:24 PM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 6,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejiles View Post
Thankyou, the pictures help. I have most of it assembled but i believe this was someone's frankenstien's lathe. There is a gear on a shaft with a smaller gear on the other end. I can see where it use to go but I can not see its function? I will post a picture if I can.

I might be wrong, but that looks like a backgear assembly. On Southbend lathes, you can disengage the chuck from the driven spindle, and engage the shaft , usually buy rotating it into mesh with gears on the spindle, with 2 gears on a shaft like yours, to slow the spindle speed down by half. This allows you to have more low speed torque for certain operations.

Not sure if this is applicable to your lathe. I have not looked at any pictures yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2024, 06:09 PM
arizonian's Avatar
arizonian arizonian is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 2,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
I might be wrong, but that looks like a backgear assembly. On Southbend lathes, you can disengage the chuck from the driven spindle, and engage the shaft , usually buy rotating it into mesh with gears on the spindle, with 2 gears on a shaft like yours, to slow the spindle speed down by half. This allows you to have more low speed torque for certain operations.

Not sure if this is applicable to your lathe. I have not looked at any pictures yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. See attached photo.

There should be a pin that drops into a hole on the large gear on the headshaft that will engage/disengage the back gear function. If the back gear shaft is engaged AND the pin is left engaged, it will lock up the headshaft. Great for tightening something clamped in the chuck as long as too much force is not applied.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	South Bend Back Gear.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	171094  
__________________
Bill in sunny Tucson

I believe in gun control.

Gun Control: The ability to consistently hit what you are aiming at.

Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.