Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 AM
Auction Addict

Default Knives

Posting this for USMCPOP. You may have already seen this, but if not, thought you might like this.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Gold Star Dad

Thanks, Chris! I've helped forge a blade or three overseas. It is hot, hard work in the tropics! Some of the techniques here are different than what I'm used to. These are more modern - they actually have electricity and grinders! I'm used to seeing a small, thick blank fully forged out to net shape, finished with a draw knife and a wee touch of a file. Only the initial stubby blank was hot chiseled from a truck spring.

I do like the fact that they seem to have the heat about right when forging. Quenching techniques seem to vary a lot. My blacksmith guy paid special attention to getting the edge evenly red, then quenched spine first. Only for a second. Not a chance dip-dip like that guy. Then he immediately put it back over the fire and carefully drew the temper. He had some sort of clay mud wash he used prior to hardening, presumably to prevent oxidation so he could then gauge the temper color as he wiped it with a rag.

He did let me work the manual air pump when he was forging and tempering. I could tell by his mumbling when I was doing it wrong. Just wish I'd had more experience - I could have learned a lot more.

Thanks again. I have butt-loads more of the knives if you have't cut off your fingers yet.

Edit: The video was posted by the "Bush Channel". I saw one of his videos about Thai blacksmiths. In one, they were talking about how they glued the handles to the stick tang of the knife. The Thai interpreter said it was something from ants. I was the one who pointed out that the "glue" was "stick Lac", the insect secretion from the Lac insects. What we know in the refined form as Shellac. I still have a couple twigs given to me by a Thai blacksmith, and a few cakes of what they sell in the market. The original hot glue.

Last edited by USMCPOP; 04-16-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Thanks, Chris! I've helped forge a blade or two overseas. It is hot, hard work! Some of the techniques here are different than what I'm used to. These are more modern - they actually have electricity and grinders! I'm used to seeing a small, thick blank fully forged out to net shape, finished with a draw knife and a wee touch of a file. Only the initial stubby blank was hot chiseled from a truck spring.

I do like the fact that they seem to have the heat about right when forging. Quenching techniques seem to vary a lot. My blacksmith guy paid special attention to getting the edge evenly red, then quenched spine first. Only for a second. Not a chance dip-dip like that guy. Then he put it back over the fire and carefully drew the temper. He had some sort of clay mud wash he used prior to hardening, presumably to prevent oxidation so he could then gauge the temper color as he wiped it with a rag.

He did let me work the manual air pump when he was forging and tempering. I could tell by his mumbling when I was doing it wrong. Just wish I'd had more experience - I could have learned a lot more.

Thanks again. I have butt-loads more of the knives if you have't cut off your fingers yet.
I have used your knives a few times each year. The missus asked once where I kept them and of course, I asked why. She says she might need to use one sometime. I said NOT. Still have all the knives and the digits.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Gold Star Dad

Chris, I'd be happy to send the little lady a blade of her own. Chopper or stabber? Your choice.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPOP View Post
Chris, I'd be happy to send the little lady a blade of her own. Chopper or stabber? Your choice.
Appreciate the offer, but I cringe seeing her use a knife in the kitchen. Seeing her take a full arm swing with a 16" blade is not something I want to witness.

I can just see her trying to cut a tree root down in the dirt. She has no respect, fear or appreciation for using the right tools. For now at least, I will do any serious cutting that needs done.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Lord of the Minions

Chris, thanks for posting this thread.

Pop, appreciate your response as well.

I've got three 'go to' machete's at the farm and one here at the apt. The farm and apt has one each kept within grabbing distance from my BR at the farm and next to my bed as well at the apt. Of course, having a pair of Glocks, one here and the other at the farm allows me to not having to decide which to grab when necessary. lol

Two of the machete's returned home with my Dad at the end of his enlistment at wars end. One American made ant the other Japanese or possibly from Guam or one of the other hot spots they had an airbase at.

I prefer a thick blade of a good 20 or so inches or a tad more as I do use them at times for clearing brush and vine on the place for initial access. Of course the tractor and back blade works equally well. lol

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Gold Star Dad

I have a bunch of hand-forged Thai knives that have thick but somewhat shorter blades. But they have very long handles. In the last year or so, I've accumulated a LOT of South-American/African machetes on closeout deals. Thinner but up to 22" long blades. I do have two new-old-stock Collins machetes (18" & 20") which are quite a bit thicker.

It all depends on the use. Thin and long can be used to whack weeds and small twigs all day long. The Thai knives are good on small limbs and saplings, especially hardwood. Or dried wood.

Pretty soon, I'm going to thin out the herd if anyone is in need. Probably have a hundred or so.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Gadget Girl

Pretty cool vid... I've seen a bunch that they have posted..

Nearly all of them work more like I do..

These days it seems there are a few that guide the masses,, Right, wrong or indifferent...

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Pretty cool vid... I've seen a bunch that they have posted..

Nearly all of them work more like I do..

These days it seems there are a few that guide the masses,, Right, wrong or indifferent...
Just watched your latest YT vids. As usual, you are quite a master at what you do.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Gadget Girl

Thanks Chris, I am just now starting to feel better about my smithing skills.. I really figured it would take me about a year to come back up to speed after taking off all those years..

But now it's apparent with me getting older and in poorer shape I need to smith more often and more intensely to really feel good about what I am doing.

I really feel I have another year of smithing 3 or 4 times a week to get some mastery back..

This past weekend I spent with the NEB teaching a whole bunch of people how to forge weld as we had a working Spring meet and I chose a welded shovel handle (20 shovels to make) and a 2X welded handle for a side poker also 20 to make.. I gave each person the option for 1 or 2 welds on the side pokers.. I had a few who wanted to do the 2X.. Everybody who was there learned how to forge weld and every one of them even someone who never forged before learned the skill..

There were 30 die hards with a bunch of other rotating in and out.. Everybody learn forge welding..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_180900.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	145342   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_180906.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	145343  

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

Last edited by allessence; 06-04-2018 at 04:56 PM.