Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

 
 
SFT Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2024, 01:44 PM
Swede24 Swede24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 8
Default Sander won’t start

Hi all, new member with my first post.

I recently purchased a new to me used drum sander. Before purchasing, I insured that the tool worked by having the seller turn it on and run a board through it. Then I drove it home five hours in the back of my pick up. Took it out put it in the shop and plugged it into my extension reel. The unit did not turn on. Next I picked an extension cord off the rack and plugged it into a different outlet and it turned on immediately. That was the last time it turned on. In the last few hours I’ve plugged it into multiple different outlets with and without extension cords. The unit just won’t turn on. I’ve taken off the panels looked for obvious electrical issues by looking at the switch, it has an internal circuit breaker, which has not tripped.

I am open to any and all suggestions of what to try as I’m not an electrical expert. In reading the manual, it says the next step is to replace the switch, which seems logical to me and I’ll order one from grizzly when they open on Tuesday. Grizzly is the manufacturer of this ShopFox, W1740 model.

Is there anyway to diagnose this problem myself?

Randy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-14-2024, 01:53 PM
dubby's Avatar
dubby dubby is offline
Twice the size--half the man
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Posts: 10,636
Default

Welcome aboard Randy. Glad to see ya, and hope to get to know ya.

First suggestion on anything that gets used on wood and electrical issues is to bust out the air compressor and blow everything out as best you can. During your ride home, it could have easily dislodged some ancient dust and gummed up the works.

ShopFox is a decent 'brand' as well. I don't know that Grizzly actually makes the tools so much as specs them, or if they're even related at all. It's been my experience that they're a bit better quality of chicom equipment. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. One advantage is that the switches, components, etc. are all readily available and much cheaper going through Amazon than ordering from the manufacturer or vendor.

If blowing it out doesn't work, pull the switch and check it out. It's likely very inexpensive and a good place to start the diagnosis.
__________________
I've always had more time than money.

Wade's Custom Kydex
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2024, 03:22 PM
GWIZ's Avatar
GWIZ GWIZ is offline
SFT Historian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 7,603
Default

Welcome to the site.

Sounds like the cord on the sander maybe bad, wiggle the cord at the bends and see if the sander starts.

bypass the switch and see if it starts.
what type of motor does it have?
__________________
*
*
The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. ~Warren G. Bennis
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2024, 03:56 PM
LKeithR's Avatar
LKeithR LKeithR is offline
Hey...wait...is there a prize?
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Langley, B.C.
Posts: 5,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
...Sounds like the cord on the sander maybe bad, wiggle the cord at the bends and see if the sander starts.

bypass the switch and see if it starts...
Yup, start with the cord and work in...
__________________
Keith

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2024, 04:07 PM
midmosandblasting's Avatar
midmosandblasting midmosandblasting is offline
Blast this!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calhoun ,Mo
Posts: 9,160
Default

Welcome .I think you have a good place to start Blow it out then start at plug and go from there . A Volt meter check will help find the loss .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2024, 06:30 PM
mccutter's Avatar
mccutter mccutter is offline
Do I have a life?
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 11,479
Default

Pull the switch out so you can access the connectors--when you do the next step be careful you don't touch the bare connectors on the switch or let them "short" against the housing. Wrap electrical tape around it if you have to. Plug it in, check for voltage at the switch "in" connector, turn it on, check for voltage at the switch "out" connector.

If there is voltage at the out (to motor) connector, it is something with the motor or connector at the motor. Possibly a start or run capacitor?

To check for a bad cap, with unit "on", spin the roller in the direction it should turn. If the unit starts, a cap is bad--make sure it doesn't bite you when it spins up.
__________________

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2024, 07:35 PM
Swede24 Swede24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubby View Post
Welcome aboard Randy. Glad to see ya, and hope to get to know ya.

First suggestion on anything that gets used on wood and electrical issues is to bust out the air compressor and blow everything out as best you can. During your ride home, it could have easily dislodged some ancient dust and gummed up the works.

ShopFox is a decent 'brand' as well. I don't know that Grizzly actually makes the tools so much as specs them, or if they're even related at all. It's been my experience that they're a bit better quality of chicom equipment. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. One advantage is that the switches, components, etc. are all readily available and much cheaper going through Amazon than ordering from the manufacturer or vendor.

If blowing it out doesn't work, pull the switch and check it out. It's likely very inexpensive and a good place to start the diagnosis.
Ok, blew inside clean, reassembled the switch and housing. No obvious electrical problems. Non start continues.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2024, 07:36 PM
Swede24 Swede24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Yup, start with the cord and work in...
No cord issues.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2024, 07:40 PM
Swede24 Swede24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Welcome to the site.

Sounds like the cord on the sander maybe bad, wiggle the cord at the bends and see if the sander starts.

bypass the switch and see if it starts.
what type of motor does it have?
Main Motor: 1-1/2 HP, 115V, 60 Hz Feed Motor: 1/8 HP, 110V, 60 Hz Full-Load Amp Draw: 13.3A
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2024, 08:08 PM
Swede24 Swede24 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2024
Location: Florida Keys
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
Welcome to the site.

Sounds like the cord on the sander maybe bad, wiggle the cord at the bends and see if the sander starts.

bypass the switch and see if it starts.
what type of motor does it have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
Pull the switch out so you can access the connectors--when you do the next step be careful you don't touch the bare connectors on the switch or let them "short" against the housing. Wrap electrical tape around it if you have to. Plug it in, check for voltage at the switch "in" connector, turn it on, check for voltage at the switch "out" connector.

If there is voltage at the out (to motor) connector, it is something with the
motor or connector at the motor. Possibly a start or run capacitor?

To check for a bad cap, with unit "on", spin the roller in the direction it should turn. If the unit starts, a cap is bad--make sure it doesn't bite you when it spins up.
Attached pic. Which wires correspond to your instructions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	169823  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.