Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 12-08-2020, 03:51 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece View Post
The cab I plan to use. This one is by far the best in my collection.
So a "collection" implies more than one?

Nice big heater box on that one--they don't make them like that any more--or is there an evaporator in there I don't see?

Was the bed also wood-grained? What did they call that model?

Enjoying your build! I think you are making great progress! Keep it up!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
TA 95 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 12-10-2020, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
So a "collection" implies more than one?

Nice big heater box on that one--they don't make them like that any more--or is there an evaporator in there I don't see?

Was the bed also wood-grained? What did they call that model?

Yes, I have more than one, seven detached cabs that I can count from memory. Might have one or two more somewhere that I forgot about.

The box contains the heater core only. All FSJ”s use an under dash AC unit when so equipped. There were only two variations of the dashboard structure during the 28 years of production. Jeep didn’t see fit to integrate AC into either.

I bought this cab as is, I never saw the rest of the truck. I should point out that this truck is being entirely built with “off the shelf parts”. I have a rather extensive supply of parts from some forty FSJ’s that I have had over the years. Unless I did not have the ability to repair these parts they were most all tagged and put on a shelf.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

The frame is too long to fit in my clean/dirty room. In this room I do anything that creates significant dust, smoke or fumes. I spend a lot of time in here.

The front half has been sandblasted. I had a chance to try out my new to me sandblaster, it is a Lindsay 200. I had a Lindsay 25 for a few decades and I like it but it holds about 15 minutes of sand before I must reload.

After five coats of PPG DPLF epoxy prime on the rust pitted areas I will apply flat black paint from a pressurized spray can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3FFEA993-EBE2-4336-9684-87C4464F2668.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	158730   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAFAE64A-358B-4E70-BE8D-02DCE1A31016.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	158731  

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

One of the rear shock absorber mounting studs is broken off, probably by me some 20 years ago when I took this truck apart.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F870B3D7-54A7-43B4-9A15-3E46F1C35577.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	158732  

Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 AM
Elite Member

That 3/4 bit looks a lot like a rotabroach kit I've got, been very happy with that purchase.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
That 3/4 bit looks a lot like a rotabroach kit I've got, been very happy with that purchase.
Yes, a Rotabroach. I like them too. They are versatile tools in both hand and floor held machines.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 AM
Elite Member

Here is the new rear crossmember. At 1/4” thick the wall is twice as thick as original. It was made from a 4.5” square tube ripped in half. There was a small amount of stress relief that caused a slight inward bow.

It originally attached with rivets. I drilled the same rivet hole locations in the new member and used them to locate it to the frame rails, then plug welded and seam welded it on.

The heavier crossmember will be integrated into my trailer hitch design.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F1EACEA2-8C3C-4FE7-8D26-1B3B10202477.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	158913  

Old 12-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Elite Member

The drawing for the hitch.

I succeeded in making it from material that I already had. Let’s hope it succeeds in performing the way I want.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D4377235-08A7-4465-B157-F885A326B558.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	158914  

Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Trimming the main frame of the hitch, 5 x 5 x 3/8” angle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7E804B8D-448E-4AC0-979A-1B16D3368F9D.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	158915  

Old 12-22-2020, 10:21 AM
Elite Member

I could not find a suitable place for D rings or shackles so I integrated two holes in the frame for attaching a strap or hook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CFB542BD-61EC-4E44-A6C4-9A6AAC19BDDD.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	158916   Click image for larger version

Name:	582828BE-BBAC-447A-8F1A-9E0F6B6B436E.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	158917