Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 01-14-2020, 07:00 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Are you looking to make a cant hook or a peavey? A cant hook has a blunt end with a small dog on the inside edge; a peavey has a long, heavy, straight point. A cant hook is designed primarily for turning cants in a sawmill while a peavey is used when you're working raw logs.

I can never remember the difference between the two, so I call mine a "Log Wrench"....
Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Are you looking to make a cant hook or a peavey? A cant hook has a blunt end with a small dog on the inside edge; a peavey has a long, heavy, straight point. A cant hook is designed primarily for turning cants in a sawmill while a peavey is used when you're working raw logs.

Lumbering was such a big thing here on the coast and you could find peaveys everywhere--when I was a kid just about every household had one or two laying around. My dad never worked a day in the bush but there were still 2 or 3 peaveys in the shed. When we bought our place in '72 my father-in-law and I did a lot of logging and we had 4 or 5 peaveys around all the time. They made them in a variety of sizes from little short three footers to what we used to call "bull peaveys" which had handles at least 6 ft. long and almost 4" thick at their largest diameter. Three guys with one of those could turn a pretty big log.

Too bad you're not closer JohnBoy, there's almost always a peavey or two on Craigslist--I could round one up for you pretty quick...
From my reading I thought the peavey wasnt much different, just that it had a round spike pointing straight ahead vs the cant having smaller dogs that pointed back towards the hook.

We don't have the lumbering history here, up until very recently wood was a relatively precious resource. Our good neighbours the English took most of our native Oak forests and built a navy from them so there wasnt much spare for paddy.

where local timber was used it was in very modern times even still just used in the round. Hay lofts and sheds were still being built with straight trees 40-50 years ago.

A lot of logging in Ireland kinda jumped from axes and wedges to chainsaws and forwarders. There is very little old growth trees here cut commercially. it's too rare and valuable from an amenity/ecological standpoint. we have a modern timber industry based on planted forestry, but even in that sense we're a century or two behind some of our European neighbours.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post
A lot of logging in Ireland kinda jumped from axes and wedges to chainsaws and forwarders. There is very little old growth trees here cut commercially. it's too rare and valuable from an amenity/ecological standpoint. we have a modern timber industry based on planted forestry, but even in that sense we're a century or two behind some of our European neighbours.
You-Would-Tink....with the sparseness of timber in your country, the usage
of wood chips would be front and center.

Particle board, OSB board, LVL timbers etc.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
You-Would-Tink....with the sparseness of timber in your country, the usage
of wood chips would be front and center.

Particle board, OSB board, LVL timbers etc.
Sheet goods yes, but LVLs are something I've never seen used. You'll see glulam beams in articechtural situations but otherwise steel would be used in construction for spanning anything wider than a doorway.

Because most of the timber harvested here is crop timber there's a lot of thinnings involved, plus a lot of the timber grown here is pretty low grade spruce so we're net exporters of MDF and OSB.

The government wanted to create/support a forestry industry 40-50 years ago so started encouraging planting but an awful lot of it was sitka spruce, a very popular and good quality scandinavian pine. The problem is our climate is too good and the sitka absolutely thrives here, which means the rings are too big and the wood is relatively weak. Hence we make a lot of OSB and MDF.

Generally long lengths of any larger timber are imported, because the irish stuff would hardly bear it's own weight beyond 16 foot!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:57 AM

testing posting a pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DD-LogHook-1.pdf (712.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 AM
Director of Languages

it works! danke
Old 01-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Probably should indicate what dia. (max) logs you want to play with.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
...so I call mine a "Log Wrench"....
Good 'un Doug...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 PM
Something's Fishy ...

"Log Wrench"
I have never heard them called anything else except Peavy ( a manufacturer of log wrenches)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Good 'un Doug...
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lingle View Post
"Log Wrench"
I have never heard them called anything else except Peavy ( a manufacturer of log wrenches)
Well, I've had a couple of "experts" get mad at me if I call it a "Peavey", they say "It's a Cant Hook" .

And then if I call it a "Cant Hook" someone else get's mad and yells at me that I'm wrong (again) and that it is a "Peavey"...

So it's a log wrench.....