Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt
Very nice stands, I might build me few soon as well. Just one question, is there a particular reason you chose to use 7/8 rod vs. 1 inch, to fit snugly inside the 1 inch pipe? Or did you maybe sch. 80 pipe, and it wouldn't fit?
That's a good question That is what I had on hand so that is what I used. If 1" fits thats all the better. I will check and if it fits I will change the print. Thanks good Idea.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

Here's my version of digr's pipe stands. Basicaly the same as his drawing, only I used 1 inch acme threaded rod and nuts for the screws, and am using a 60 degree V out of 3 inch wide 3/8 flat bar, allowing me to pile several pieces of pipe into a single stand, such as 4 pieces of drill stem if needed. I also welded some feet under the legs, to hopefully prevent it from sinking in soft ground as badly. Put a collar around the 1 inch pipe to rest on the 1 1/4 main tube. Other than that, same idea. My range is about 28 to 52 inches. Thanks for the picture digr, it motivated me enough to make somethings I'd been needing for quite some time allready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02189 (Medium).JPG
Views:	871
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	9167   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02190 (Medium).JPG
Views:	750
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	9168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02193 (Medium).JPG
Views:	718
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	9169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02207 (Medium).JPG
Views:	779
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	9170  
Old 01-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Trailers for sale or rent

I think I'll copy those. I copped a couple of saddles at the flea market a while back, $6 for both. They have 6" angle iron saddles with 10" of 1 1/2" Acme thread and T-nuts.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

Nice job, Bolt. I was going to use the same rod but couldn't afford it at the time. They are proud of that stuff.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 01-22-2006, 09:12 AM
The Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt
Here's my version of digr's pipe stands. Basicaly the same as his drawing, only I used 1 inch acme threaded rod and nuts for the screws, and am using a 60 degree V out of 3 inch wide 3/8 flat bar, allowing me to pile several pieces of pipe into a single stand, such as 4 pieces of drill stem if needed. I also welded some feet under the legs, to hopefully prevent it from sinking in soft ground as badly. Put a collar around the 1 inch pipe to rest on the 1 1/4 main tube. Other than that, same idea. My range is about 28 to 52 inches. Thanks for the picture digr, it motivated me enough to make somethings I'd been needing for quite some time allready.
Great job Bolt! I like the pads on the bottom. A lot of guys are putting braces around the bottom but the trouble with braces you can't stack them. They take a lot less space without them.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes girls, he's single!

After reading this thread a few times, and being on the bridge project that I am on now, which has a lot of scrap all thread rod that is perfect for pipe stands, I might just confiscate some of it. I have 4 Sumner collapsible pipe stands, but sometimes I could use a few more when fabricating some of the more elaborate stuff. The collapsible pipe stands are perfect for me, as they fold up and store easily.

Here is a pic of a collapsible pipe stand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipestands.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	9190  
Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and shouting WOW...what a ride
Old 01-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr
Great job Bolt! I like the pads on the bottom. A lot of guys are putting braces around the bottom but the trouble with braces you can't stack them. They take a lot less space without them.
Yup, mine do take up the space with the braces. However, I like the extra beef they add......just in case.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Elite Member

I ended up getting the acme rod at Fastenall, they had to order it in, 6 feet of rod was 36 bucks, and I'm not sure what the nuts where anymore, but nothing outrageous. It could have been done with all thread, this will just last a little longer when leveling out with heavy loads on them.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Dang, I would have done that if I could have found some. I spent close to that on the all thread and nuts. I did look around a little for the acme..just didn't find any in stock. All I could find was the 12 foot coil rods we use on concrete forms. 150 bucks plus 4 or 5 for the nuts. Didn't have time to look anywhere else. Next time I will plan ahead.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precisionworks
Priced out 7/8" Acme rod and nuts ($50)

Bought regular rod & nuts for $11!

If SWMBO has no other plans (right!) I'll get started this weekend. Compressed photos to follow
You guys must be shopping at the wrong place or you spec'd out some high tolerance rod & nuts.

Enco, 1"-5 ACME threaded rod, 36" - on sale for $10.00

Enco, 1"-5 ACEM nut, on sale for $2.79