Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-05-2013, 03:47 AM
Lord of the Minions

Default Trailer ramps or a full width ramp/gate?

On Pops 12' trailer it of course came with nothing. A family member added a very heavy gate full width and about 5' tall when swung up in place. It took two of us to pick that beast up and pin it.

The first time Pop tried loading an SA on it, it bent sway back to the ground rendering it useless.

I cut it off and used bits and pieces of it for other projects.

Now, about 2 years ago I started another gate/ramp for it and ended up with using odd and end scrap pieces of 1/4"x3"x2" angle for the frame and center ribs and was planning on adding expanded metal over that in lieu of using ply etc.

After looking at this frame standing up against one of my main doors since, I've decided to cut two pieces off either side making 2 ea individual ramps that will just hook on the supplied angle put there during the initial fab of the trailer.

Pop won't be using them and as so, when I need them, I'll just lash them to the deck and stack them on the same main door until I need them again.

I guess smaller and lighter is better than bigger and heavier in some cases.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Twice the size--half the man

I think for the weight savings your get for using smaller/narrower, you can get a more substantial ramp built as well.

The FIL just bought one of those trailers from Tractor Supply that's just about perfect for loading his little John Deere lawn tractor on. It has the full gate ramp at the back, but he has a thing about heights, so he won't ride the tractor up the gate. He's not a big guy, but if he were on it, I suspect the ramp would fold in half. I bet I end up having to rebuild it one day...

Really though, he didn't need the trailer. He already has a 14' tandem utility. And I think the mower would probably fit in his truck just fine as well. He has pretty much every commercially made ramp option, and even some I built him with the little metal brackets made for attaching to wood ramps. Some folks just aren't comfortable with individual ramps *shrug*
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Banned

Make vertical post's from 3" or 4" squ. box tube, that the gates/ramps
swing up to. weld latch on there, to secure ramp/gate for
xport.

Put garage door spring in tube, pulley on top, leads down to
end of ramp/gate.

Well Tenders have a "bi-fold" ramp" thingy on the pick up truck
tailgate for the snowmo's used in well tending.

They have an assist spring similar, but without the towers, and pulleys,
and cables.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Make vertical post's from 3" or 4" squ. box tube, that the gates/ramps
swing up to. weld latch on there, to secure ramp/gate for
xport.

Put garage door spring in tube, pulley on top, leads down to
end of ramp/gate.

Well Tenders have a "bi-fold" ramp" thingy on the pick up truck
tailgate for the snowmo's used in well tending.

They have an assist spring similar, but without the towers, and pulleys,
and cables.
digger, I was about to say the same thing, you have to have a lift system. The full width is great but to be as strong as two separate ramps they are horrible heavy.

I worked on a military tank trailer converting it to a fifth wheel and removing the front turntable and axles. It had a air motor and hydraulic cylinder to lift the ramp. It was a beautiful thing, worked very well.

When a liberal screams racism, you can bet they were also born with white skin.
“The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist’.”
Thomas Sowell
Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Default Ramp assist

A while back someone posted a very good thread with good pictures about installing the door springs on their trailer to help lift the ramp. It might have been this site but not sure. I think I saved the info someplace but can't find it right now. Worthwhile searching if someone was going to install a set of springs on their trailer.
Al
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Minions

Digger, a few years ago I scrounged around and found all of the parts necessary to hang a 'garage door' spring on and just in front of the upper front trailer frame work, to run cables to the back inside metal pipe and rollers/shives on each rear corner to allow the cable to run down to the gate when it was down and open.

Never started the project, never had the time. So, I think I'll just make a nice h/d set of single each side ramps which BTW can and will be used for every trailer we have on the place for our use.

A little cut here and a little weld there and it will leave me with a few more scrap structural pieces for another project.

Thanks.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 2 View Post
A while back someone posted a very good thread with good pictures about installing the door springs on their trailer to help lift the ramp.
Al
I believe you're talking about this thread by jniolon.
The link to his web page article about his "Girly Gate" is in his opening post of the thread.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Yes, that's the thread. I thought it was very well done.
Thanks
Al
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

This works good. I installed one on a customer's trailer who does yard work and hauls mowers, etc.

http://www.gorilla-lift.com/