Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Speaking of the donor truck

Yet another epic road trip, with K'kins being dragged along for the ride. (This is why I gotta be real nice to her too)

Of note here...…….As usual, I tell her it ought to be just about a maybe 8hr round trip. (She knows better'n that shit...….she's figuring we'll get home by 10:00 in the evening......silly girl )

I scored this pickup truck sight-unseen on one of those internet auctions. $500 with no guarantees. As is/where is. Abandoned vehicle auction.

K'kins takes off work for the day, and made it a 3 day weekend.

Throw all the crap on the 1 ton, and hook the trailer, and away we go.

First cold day in the fall, and here we are, somewhere just across the Kansas border with no coats or warm clothing. Wasn't figuring on the cold coming down into Kansas. So, we stop at an Atwoods, and buy some jackets. So there's about $40 out the window, and we're just gettin' rollin'

Next stop.....lunch. Some craphole in a craphole town. Typical small town Kansas meal. Brown lettuce, stale meat, and water not fit to drink. $25. (We passed a coupla good McDonalds but K'kins refuses to eat at McDonalds)

We come draggin' into the impound yard after passing through base security. It's rainin' now

No problemo, we gots some brand new jackets

There it sits, in all its glory.

No key to attempt to start it, but I'd planned for that. I got my cordless drill, and a spare tumbler for the lock. Plan is to drill it out, then put a new tumbler in to unlock the steering wheel.

BONUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lock was already broken. I guess they had to break it to tow it to impound.

So now, it's time to unload the ramps, set up the outriggers, and set up the winch, then run some cable to the donor.

BTW.....did I mention that the tires all had air in them. Things are lookin' good.

I brief K'kins on the plan. She's gonna steer while I winch.

The goddamn steering wheel had had one of those aftermarket steering wheel covers that had come off. This is fine, except the goddamn glue shit is all stuck to the wheel. K'kins ain't happy.

No power steering (obviously), so she's trying to steer the damn thing with all her might.....HANDS GRABBING THE STICKY WHEEL AS HARD AS SHE CAN. (I had the smarts to not laugh)

We get it on the trailer, and tie it down. Re stow the ramps, winch, and outrigger. On the road again.

We're just a smidge behind schedule. (It took about 1 1/2hrs to get thru base security when we arrived).

I toolin' along the Interstate, and I GET A GLIMPSE OF THE HOLY OF HOLYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE RUSSEL STOVER FACTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best goddamn chawklit candy in the known universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K'kins breaks in on my reverent mood...…….."I gotta pee,, and I'm hungry"

Luckily for us, there's a Cracker Barrel nearby. (Goddamn clip joint) $28

All this sit-down meal shit takes time. So now we're really behind schedule. It's getting dark when we get out of the the choke and puke.

10:00 is looking EARLY at best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	donor1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	147107   Click image for larger version

Name:	donor7.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	147108  

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 09-21-2018, 12:19 PM

It's full on dark by the time we get back into Oklahoma. And we've picked up rain again. (Wipers on the 1 ton don't work so good...something with the wiper motor....runs about 1/4 speed)

By now I'm pretty wore out. So we stop at Braums for a little sugar. Nothing like a brownie sundae to put the wind back in yer sails

Roll in the gate at the house, park the truck, and hit the sack. Neither of us are spring chickens anymore.

So, now it's Saturday. Time to unload my new(ish) gem.

Do all that setup bullshit again, and have at it.

Use a come along to pull the damn truck to the end of the trailer. The front of the truck is hooked to the winch. Be a shame to get run over by a junk truck. Pull on the come along, then run up and take a few clicks off the winch.....lather rinse repeat.

Finally get it to the end of the trailer where gravity can do its thing.

(K'kins is back behind the wheel grabbin' onto that sticky wheel as I let it inch down the ramps)

End of story
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	donor2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	147109   Click image for larger version

Name:	donor3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	147110   Click image for larger version

Name:	donor4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	147111  

Old 09-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Auction Addict

You do seem to have all the luck.

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves"

William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Old 09-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Blast this!

Looks like labor bill just went up 125 .
Old 09-30-2018, 08:15 PM

Door on, fit tolerable. The placement of the catch on the door handle is about 1/2" different, but it does fit.

Knocked out the work on the AC this afternoon.

Clutch wouldn't engage without being hotwired.

Rat damage on a length of hidden wire. And a bad on/off switch. Luckily it didn't progress to a diagnosis on the other switches in the system. The rest of them are buried under the roof in a cavity accessible only by removing a panel on the roof.

Now I can start work on my PTO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jd door11.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	147210   Click image for larger version

Name:	jd door10.jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	147211   Click image for larger version

Name:	jd door9.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	147212  

Old 09-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
Door on, fit tolerable. The placement of the catch on the door handle is about 1/2" different, but it does fit.

Knocked out the work on the AC this afternoon.

Clutch wouldn't engage without being hotwired.

Rat damage on a length of hidden wire. And a bad on/off switch. Luckily it didn't progress to a diagnosis on the other switches in the system. The rest of them are buried under the roof in a cavity accessible only by removing a panel on the roof.

Now I can start work on my PTO.
Sounds like your close to being up and running with it soon...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-