Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Boiler God

Question Walter EnduroFlex Flap Discs

For the last 5-6 years, I've been using the Walter EnduroFlex flap discs, according to the LWS receipts, I used at least 400 of them last year, and so far this year I've used about 200. Welp, its time to start looking for another supplier, there has been about a 25% price increase recently, now pushing them into the $10 each range. This maybe a real short search, I've tried about every model from, Norton, Sait, Carborundum, Lehigh Valley and some many others I can't remember their names, and none of them hold up anywhere near as well as the Walter. Some that I've tried, I needed about 5 of them to equal one of the Walter, but there are 2 that were equal to or maybe better than the Walter, but I can't remember the names or the source. There is one with a black plastic back, that was out of Japan, and one that with a red plastic back out of Austria. Any one got a name or supplier? I like to find another source, the Walters do work great, but the costs are killing me, on the others, I really don't have enough room to keep their discs in stock at the 4:1 or 5:1 wear ratio, so I really need to find the source of the black or red discs. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	30129  

Last edited by platypus20; 03-24-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Below Wholesale

I cant help you but those are the discs I use and I agree they are the best. I will have to look at the welding store bill to see if mine have gone up as well.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

Is there a good online source for Walter discs? I've had pretty good luck with Camel (CGW) flap discs and have to order them to get a decent price, around $4.50 for the thick ones. I'd be interested in Walters if I could find them reasonable.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Theyre the ones I use most of the time also. I was wondering have you tried the Norton twinstars? If so how do they compare?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Blood, Sweat & Concrete

Send a message via MSN to DDA52

I'd like to try them to compare one day. No one around here sells them as far as I know. My Blacksmith Brand works pretty good for now. Still, I'd like to compare. The Blacksmiths last about 1 to 5 of the Lehigh dics. That and they really don't cost too much. $39.99 for a case of 10 and $32.25 per case if I buy five. All in all, I guess I should stay pat. Wish I knew who made them at least.

Grand High Poobah...(by appointment.)
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Armchair Webbie

Please enlighten me. I've never used this type of disk. Do you use them for prepping or beveling a weld joint or for cleaning up after a weld or all of the above? What about them is better than a solid grinding wheel or say, a coarse sanding disk? Forgive my ignorance.

Dave
Old 03-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Elite Member

Dav...Yes to all.....they leave a nicer surface vs the solid wheels and you can go light on them to polish or lean into them to remove lots-o material if needed....

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of "up to and including my life."
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Boiler God

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebass View Post
Theyre the ones I use most of the time also. I was wondering have you tried the Norton twinstars? If so how do they compare?
Yes, I've tried the Nortons and the Carborundums, they are owned by the same company, and I'd rate them mid pack, not terrible and not great. I'll probably end up staying with the Walter, It just galls me to pay that much for something I use so many of, maybe they are a good buy after all, you do get what you pay for, and I'll have to eat the difference, I can't raise the work prices again so soon, after the last increase.

Jack
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Boiler God

I may have found the Austrian flap discs, a rep I talked to today, said their abrasive supplier, has them in their warehouse in either NJ or NC, and will ship me some samples, if they are the correct ones, it will be cheaper, the quote was $6.50 ea when bought by the box of 10. I will let everyone know about the discs, after I try them.

Jack
Old 03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Below Wholesale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lee View Post
Please enlighten me. I've never used this type of disk. Do you use them for prepping or beveling a weld joint or for cleaning up after a weld or all of the above? What about them is better than a solid grinding wheel or say, a coarse sanding disk? Forgive my ignorance.

Dave
I use 120 grit discs for jobs that require welds ground smooth. Rough in the area with a regular disc as they can remove more metal faster, then hit with the 120 flapper. Works great for capping tubing.