Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Talking Ho - Ho , Ho - Ho , it's off to work we go .

Terry , that cart is the best it has at one time or another had all my welding equipment on it , except for the O/A rig . Welders , wire feeder , small mig and all my rod . just to get them out of the way .
For those of you who missed the build of the cart .
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12418
I still need to add a few hangers and some odds and ends to the cart , and then paint it .
OM & Brian C . soon your shops will be worse then mine :evil: What everyone forgets here is this condition creeps up on you .
What I got done today . Sorting and more sorting , or as I call it Classifying the Treasures Tonight I ended up with TWO empty buckets from sorting and re-classifying a bunch of stuff . I have started cleaning out the lockers that are where I need the work bench to go . I have half of them cleaned out and will get the others done in the morning . Then they can be removed and the work bench put in place .
  1. A little more room
  2. Concrete that will be replaced
  3. Cleaner less "stuff"
  4. Getting there
When I stopped yesterday you still needed to walk around the one table full of STUFF . After reclassifying it a time or two Most of what was on the table has been thrown out or classified as usable within the next six months . The concrete that the orange arrow is pointing to was my first attempt at mixing my own . It held up for about a year then started to degrade . Until all it is now is slightly hard dirt . Getting closer to the ultimate goal , a clean , warm and safe shop . . Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO24a.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	40089   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO24a1.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	40090   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO025a.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	40091   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO026a.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	40092  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Curmudgeon

Man! I gotta get me one of them chip trays.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Space is still at a premium

Cutter LOL , most of the parts you see there are for the RPC , of course the axle shaft isn't but most of the rest are .
Before I called it quits tonight out in the shop I did some measuring for where the cabinets will go and found that I can put eight feet of cainets in there and have room for the RPC under the counter top on the one end .
For the counter top I was planning on two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated together for strength until I got the price on enough to do the full length of the counter top which will be in the neighborhood of 10'-9" . So now it will be whatever 2 X's I have and 1/2" plywood top with a tempered masonite or steel top painted a light color .
The base cabinets I have are 24" deep by 48" long and 35-1/4" tall with the 2X frame and 1/2 plywood top would make them 37-1/4" tall . Once the base cabinets are in I will hang the upper cabinets just to make sure of the alignment of them for now . I should be ready to start on the cabinets tomorrow or the next day . The cabinets represent storage to replace the lockers that I am removing and placing in storage until I add on to this shop or build a new shop down the road . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Curmudgeon

You know Dan, my eyes like to play games with me. Especially when I'm looking at one thing and seeing something else out of the corner of one eye, or something. Anyhow I keep seeing the title of this thread on the main index page and it says to that part of my brain that monitors that corner of that eye, "N/W Pennsylvania Shop Rodeo".

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Press One for Trash

Hey Dan,
Don't worry I understand your situation. I could actually take a few steps into my shed two weeks ago and now all I have is a place to stand. I'm leaning over piles of crap...urr "stuff" to get to what's on the shelves. I plan to go at it tonight but it won't take as long as your shop. I'm on your side friend.
GO STEELERS!
Sen. Max Baucus Montana

Do you want it right or right now?
Ya can't polish a turd.
The Techie Geek Podcast
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Have you ever thought that your shop has been the base for an alien invasion? Don't call Washington for help

Even duct tape can't fix stupid ... But it can muffle the sound. Attributed to Red Green
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM

Dan, have you got any photos of your shop before the bomb went off? Just kidding, been there done that.
Clive
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Cutter , Rodeo LOL :evil: I don't know what a shop rodeo would entail .
Setup Boy , I have had a long time to accumulate all this stuff , and the amazing part of this is most of the stuff that I saved is still usable stuff . I have thrown out a lot of "STUFF" since I started this space reassignment project and most of what I have thrown out was in buckets of leftovers from various projects from long ago .
Ironman , them clowns down there could not find their a** will both hands and a road map . Besides anyone from D.C. would have to have a study done on the feasibility of the possibility of the opportunity of having a clean-up done . But first there would have to be HazMat survey done by a licensed Hazardous Materials Company , filled out in triplicate . Once that was done any offending substance found would have to be removed and disposed of properly . Thus leaving no shop left standing , so there would be no need for the study on the feasibility of ...................
Clive , yes I do have a few photos of the shop before the bomb went off but I would have to scan them into the computer , as they were taken twenty years ago .
What I got done today .
Today I managed to plow snow and get the old lockers out of the shop . Cleaned them out and then took the screws out that held them to the wall put them on the hand truck and wheeled them out of the shop . Then I had to fix the fiberglas insulation that the mice chewed up . I need to get some OSB or 1/2" plywood to finish that wall , I am leaning towards plywood as it takes paints better . Once the insulation was fixed and the floor cleaned up , I hauled in enough 2B stone to cover the bank gravel . Then the work bench was moved into place and rough leveled for tonight .
  1. New location for the work bench .
  2. Work bench , shelves , and tool chest & rollaway .
Once the heavy work is done and I get down to the detail work . I will be adding a light under the shelves in these picture for light above the work bench . The tool chest & rollaway will go out in the shop area on the new concrete once that is poured . But for now it will stay in the front of the shop but it will be back by the cabinets instead of blocking the view out the front window . I might actually be getting down to the last part of the removal and starting on the final installs tomorrow . Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REDO027a.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	40115   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO028a.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	40116  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Just about done with the rout out of the shop .

Today I did not have to plow snow . It was sunny but cold today . I worked on getting the last corner of the shop cleaned out . What was left there was my old homemade sandblast cabinet , the drill press , my home built wire wheel machine and a bunch of STUFF . I sorted , cleaned , and disposed of what needed disposed of . Throwing out the real junk gets easier with practice :evil: . After I got into the corner I decided to wire my FCU (Fan Coil Unit heater) directly to the same breaker as my boiler is on . It had been running on an extension cord since I installed the system about three years ago . That was a fairly easy fix that took longer than I figured it should and I went back to cleaning the corner out after the heating system was back up and running .
I soon discovered that I had to burn trash as both of my trashcans were full , numbers 10 & 11 , so I had to shovel a path to my burn barrel through the snow . There is about a foot of snow in the yard still and we are supposed to get another 3 - 4 " of snow tomorrow . I moved the drill press to it new location at the left end of the work bench , the drill press is a lot lighter than I remember it being when I bought it . I need to run power down that wall for work outlets , an outlet for the drill press , and three way switches for the light over the bench . I will run conduit and boxes for these since I will be replacing the breaker panel that is in the shop with a bigger one . The new panel will be mounted on the surface of the wall to allow me to insulate behind the panel , with it getting as cold as it has been lately I need all the insulation I can get in the walls .
Then I started tearing the old sandblast cabin apart . I built it in about 1984 or '85 . No matter how hard you tried to seal it up it always leaked sand , since it was built from wood . Apparently every time it swelled up and shrank from differences in humidity it would start to leak and make a mess on the floor . Building it , taught me quite a bit about them and the major thing I learned was not to build one from wood again . With that said , RIP ol' girl you served me well all these years . Once I had it disassembled I saved the working parts , the gun , the hopper and the lights , and burnt the rest of it . Tomorrow the first thing I need to do is to finish cleaning up the corner by vacuuming up the spilled sand and removing the weld fitting that were sitting under the sandblast cabinet .
  1. What I started with this morning
  2. What it looked like tonight
  3. Another picture of the corner
  4. Next project
The wire wheel has to be moved before the 2B stone can be put down , once the stone is down I can bring in the first cabinet and get it set in place . Once the first cabinet is in , then the other one won't be to hard to get set right . Once the base cabinets are ste I can take the Ambient Air Cleaner down and get ready to move it into the attic space above the front area . I plan to duct it so it can pull air from both areas of the shop . Eventually I will build a second bigger unit to handle the work area , and this unit will strictly be for the Machine area .
I have to take the backhoe off the Super-H in the morning as the snow has gotten too deep for the four wheeler to navigate . I should be able to get some more done in the shop tomorrow as it usually takes about an hour to take the hoe off and put the drawbar back on . Dan , hoping not to get frostbite tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REDO029a.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	40184   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO030a.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	40185   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO031a.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	40186   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO032a.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	40187  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Curmudgeon

Dan, I'm beginning to think you should paint that shop while you've got it all emptied out like that.
Just think how much warmer it would if the walls were white.
It might be brighter in there too!

Just Keep Walking