Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Sorry to hear about the legal issues but this will pass I'm sure. I applaud you with moving ahead to meet your current needs.

So is the plan to move everything out to the tent storage and then pour a floor in the shop?

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM
That HURT!

Looks like your on a roll Dan.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Pouring the Floor

Once the footers are repaired everything except the boiler that sets on the same pad as the chimney does will be moved into the rear of the shop . Basically that is the lathe , the surface grinder if it has been moved home , the work bench , the welding bench , the base cabinets that will go along the south wall ( the man door is on the north wall) , the drill press , my disc sander , eight inch bench grinder , wire wheel machine , my tool chest and roll away , and various and sundry tools , will be moved into the back of the shop into the storage bay and the work bay .
Then the ground work can be finished , insulating the perimeter wall , the vapor barrier , the remesh and tubing will be put in and ready for a Saturday morning pour . If all goes as planned I will have about six people here for the pour and the finishing of the concrete . I have to have the heat exchanger ready for the radiant floor heat before the concrete is poured . I want to have the pex tubing already attached to the heat exchanger and pressurized with air but the valves on the supply and return turned off while we are pouring the concrete .
The heat exchanger will be a home brewed one made from 8" schedule 40 steel pipe 66" long for the shell and 1/2" copper tubing for the exchanger tubes . The 240' of pex tubing holds around seven gallons of liquid and the heat exchanger will hold around 14 gallons of fluid for a total system capacity of 21 gallons .While pouring and finishing the concrete the heat exchanger will be full of fluid (water/antifreeze mixture) once the concrete is poured and we are sure there are no leaks in the pex tubing . I will pump the rest of the fluid into the pex tubing then turn on the valves and start the pump circulating the fluid through the tubing at low temperature , 65 degrees F. or there abouts . Not so much to cure the concrete faster but to keep it from freezing . The boiler will run for the next seven days until the next Saturday
I have everything for the shell except a blind flange . I will have to buy one of them new at around $50 , then drill and tap it for a 1-1/2 NPT X 1" copper adapter fitting . That will be a fun thing to build . The controls for now will be Aquastats and relays to turn the pumps on and off to regulate the water temp into the slab . With a thermostat controlling the whole mess .
The rear or back shop will be on a separate thermostat to control the FCU (fan coil unit) for heat back there .
Once the slabs are cure well enough to take the weight of the benches and the Machine Tools , I will build the wall and install the double doors , paint the walls and ceilings white , install the base cabinets , build the counter top for them and then bring in everything else and set it up . Just a little work , not much should have it done by next week . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Those pics make me feel GOOD!!!! I just thought I had a mess. Yes, a fair amount of stuff on the workbenches, usually in (what I describe as) FLUX, it comes and goes as the projects happen and get finished. Some stuff stays, some too long, some for a short while. Goodness, what a relief........ I THOUGHT I had a problem!

Charles
Old 01-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Talking Thats what we are here for , Charles

Charles , happy to do my part . One thing to remember , is that the mess you see did not happen overnight or even in a few months that Picasso of a mess took YEARS to form , it is like fine wine it must be treated with the utmost care and respect . Because if you don't it will rear up and bite you in the but . :evil:
Since the RPC Builds failure I have all weekend to whip the beast into submission . When I am done with it it will be an Amoeba . Of course this is weather dependent , as the various weather reports are calling for anywhere between 3 to 9 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow . I was hoping to get the RPC running so I could run the lathe this weekend but that does not look like it will happen . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Actual space

I started making progress again after two days of little to no progress because of snow , and NFL playoff games
GO STEELERS
Today I took my welding machine cart for it's longest trip so far . I moved it from the work bay to the storage bay and am fairly pleased with the way it moves . I did learn one thing about it though , the floor has to be smooth for the cart to turn well . The casters do not like rough concrete , they tend to grab instead of turn on the roughest areas of my floor .
  1. New security light
  2. Snow pile , about 8' high so far
  3. View out the driveway
  4. The welding carts new position
When I put the security light up there was about 3 to 4 inches of snow , now there is over a foot out there . The pile has grown since this photo as I plowed snow again today , after cleaning the chimney for the wood stove . I put the reflective stakes in to mark the driveway so idiot drivers can tell where the lawn starts . The bright spots in the pictures are snowflakes falling . I need to build a mount for my video camera , and get video of me plowing one of these days .
The welding cart needs a little more work and a few more parts built then it will get a paint job .
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO18a.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	40036   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO19a.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	40037   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO20a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	40038   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO21a.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	40039  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Question Space , actual and virtual

Space in a shop setting can be one of two types , virtual the space that exists in another layout of the shop that we are too lazy to go after , or in scale drawings that never seem to work in the real world and the kind that only exists in our minds . The second type is Actual Space that is the kind you can measure and define to a virtual certainty I am finding that the virtual space and the actual space intersect in some very strange ways in my shop . In the last post I had moved the welding machine cart , and have discovered some very nice space that I did not have before . Once the welding cart was out of the way I grouped some engiunes that have to go out to the staorage tent in the morning and decided to see if the 1050 Bolens would start , it started and I took it out for a spin . I also took the tiller off the back and tomorrow I will mount the snowcaster on it and be ready for the next big storm .
  1. Work Bay or North Bay
  2. Storage Bay or South Bay
The work bay had the welding machine cart setting in the middle of it for a long time . Now the bay is starting to take shape and with in a day or two the work bay will be usable again . The storage bay is where the Bolens sets during the winter so I can keep the battery charged and put a heater on it just in case it needs it . When everything is put away I should have a bunch of room I never would have thought possible in this small a shop building .
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO22a.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	40046   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO23a.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	40047  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 AM

2-3-1940 to 3-8-2011
Nobody was faster

I feel sooo much better after seeing your shop.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Director of Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
I feel sooo much better after seeing your shop.
Me too.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof

Millermatic 211
Harris oxy/act.
2 propane forges
147 lb. Peter Wright anvil
Old 01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Team DeSade

Man, that welding cart's a monster!