Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default N/W Pennsylvania Shop Redo

Since I bought the lathe and needed a different layout in the front of the shop to fit everything in there I decided while I was at it , I will fix a couple of problem areas . Two of the problem areas involve broken footers . which happen to correspond to where the original doors were in the building .
Since the front of the shop is where the lathe will reside , I want to close it off from the back of the shop and do my welding , grinding and general dust making back there . I have two sets of two hour fire rated double doors which will give me a nice wide doorway in and out of the shop . Once the lathe is in and the shop is tidy , I will start on the footers .
The footer under the main door was broken by a root growing through a crack in the foundation , the root was removed years ago and the building has settled back down into place . I am going to remove the broken part of the footer , dig down a little deeper , and then add a rebar cage that will be epoxied into the existing footers . Then form the new threshold to the correct height .
The major damage done to the footer was from freezing and thawing over the years , it did not help that ground water level there was at about 18" before we tiled the area . Since the tile was put in the building has not moved . The footer where the double door needs to go has the same problem . I will dig it out and replace it also . Once that is done then everything in the front of the shop will come out and the "new" concrete floor will be poured . The shop has has had a bank gravel floor for the last 24 years and I guess it is time for a concrete floor with radiant heat in it .
Today I finally got the work bench moved out of the way , the accumulated junk and trash picked up , and the 2B stone down there . I went to hang the SS box that ill be the control panel for the RPC and discovered I had to move the clock , the thermostat , and take down one power cable for my welder . So I have one dead welding outlet in the back part of the shop but I do have one welding outlet left in the shop .
Photo 1 , you can see the original door in this photo , it has the posters on it ( yes that is Pamela Anderson when she was young and pretty ) . The door was made from 1 X pine and 1/4" plywood , it does not seal well and since I live in N/W Pennsylvania and that is the northwest corner of the shop it can get right chilly standing there . I have a Stanley steel insulated door that I will either buy a frame for or build one from wood . The old door is 42" wide and the new door will be 36" wide . Yes there is a ringer up above the box and a buzz saw blade hung there for many years .
Photo 2 , this picture is a little fuzzy but it is my shop clock , which was a Valvoline clock that hung in the service station my dad and uncle owned before I was born . It has a neon light in it but it makes the meter spin faster than when my air compressor is running . Would like to get the clock restored but I doubt if the blue paint will come off without ruining the artwork below it . It has served me well in the shop for many years , it losses about a minute every three to four months .
More photos tomorrow . Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3PhaseControlPanelBox.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	39719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	39720  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank

Last edited by Lu47Dan; 01-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Unhappy Since the lathe is in .... Or sorting out buckets of "Stuff"

I started the dreaded job of sorting stuff out I started with the stuff ( I use this term loosely ) closet to the lathe . Found a lot of Ideal clamps in the one bucket that I had been looking for for the last few years . I have discovered that throwing out what is really junk and just saving the good pieces is a real exercise in self control . It is one of those things where you say to yourself "That MIGHT come in handy someday" . See that is the trap of the word MIGHT , it has caused me a lot of grief over the years . I need to start a chapter of HOARDERS ANONYMOUS around here . Hi my name is Dan and I am a metal hoarder .
But I managed to get six buckets of "stuff" , down to three and culled a bucket and a half of copper down into #1 copper , #2 copper and brass valve bodies . They pay better if they are separated . I can actually walk from the front door to the back door without turning sideways I hauled out two 2-1/2 gallon buckets of scrap and decided that I will have to cut the lid out of another drum or find another depository for the clean-outs that I have stored in another drum . I think I need to put the clean-outs in the storage building on a shelf and that will give me another drum . That drum if filled completely would be #6
I really need to get the truck finished and haul scrap into the scrapyard soon , before it starts multiplying exponentially .
Some of you might think what does this have to do with the remodel of my shop ? Everything . If I had not let my shop get to this point over the years I might have had more ambition in getting the metal working machinery that I have wanted all these years . Buying the lathe has really jerked a knot in my tail over the shape the shop is in . It use to be a joke around here , not anymore .
The best advice for anyone out there contemplating leaving a "parts" of a finished project in a bucket , DON"T DO IT !!!! I can tell you it just gets worse from there , the bucket doesn't get sorted when you need a bucket for another project it just sets there !
I must have three dozen buckets in my shop I never thought much about buckets other than they were handy thing to put "stuff" in , but they are not they are evil things :evil: , they work on you , they whisper to you " what the heck put that "stuff" in here , you can sort it out on a rainy day , go ride the four wheeler" . But the rainy day never comes where you set down and actually sort out buckets , there is always something better to do , if it is just enjoying your favorite adult beverage ( mines Coffee) . The last thing you want to do is sort out those buckets full of leftover bits and pieces from too many projects .
Buckets were designed to store stuff in with a lid on it , what do we do when we get an empty five gallon oil bucket , we take the lid off so it can be used for putting "Stuff" in . But what happens to the lids , a bucket without a lid is a space hog ! Where you could have stacked three or four of them full of "stuff" vertically without the lids they must be set side by side , now instead of taking up a space 16" square they now take up a space 16 " wide by 64" long ! Lids have a habit of dissapearing on their own volition or you just get tired of seeing them setting there and throw them out or god forbid recycle them . Then the bucket monster is released @#$%!*& . Once released it is a fearsome critter to tame again . Take it from someone who knows , save your lids and safeguard your sanity , because I am about to lose mine Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank

Last edited by Lu47Dan; 01-06-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu47Dan View Post
I need to start a chapter of HOARDERS ANONYMOUS around here . Hi my name is Dan and I am a metal hoarder .
Shorten it and it might catch on.

Metal Ho.

I think I like Iron Ho better.

I should register that right now.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"... the catastrophe that awaits everyone from a single false move, wrong turn, fatal encounter. Every life has such a moment.
What distinguishes us is whether—and how—we ever come back.”
Charles Krauthammer 1950-2018
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Armchair Webbie

Well Dan, at least you recognize the problem and are doing something about it. It may sound silly but, a book called, Not For Packrats Only, helped me out, somewhat. There's another by the same author, Clutter's Last Stand. He has another, I believe but, I can't remember the title.

If it wasn't a universal problem, that guy wouldn't have sold any books. They say, if you haven't used something in the last two years, there's a good chance that you never will.

Taking the time to do the sorting will get you bogged down in a hurry. Something I did once, that helped, was to go around with a little note book and look at the stuff in question and write it down, if it was to go, on the next big trash night. That way, all of the hemming and hawing was taken care of, right then and there. When big trash night rolled around, there was no more discussion with myself. Sentence had already been passed on the offending junque and it was simply a matter picking the stuff up and hauling it to the curb.

Sounded like a good idea at the time but, it kind of backfired on me. I picked items from here there and everywhere, instead of working from one end or, one room to another. What happened was, after I was done, I had a huge pile of stuff on the curb but, when I looked back through the house, I couldn't tell where I had been.

So, what do I know, anyway?

Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Director of Languages

Dan,

I hope you dont mind me saying this, but I find your posts very hard to read.....

Would you mind breaking them up into paragraphs a bit more?

you often have very interesting projects but I find them very hard to read.

sorry

Oh and good luck on the tidyout
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default So we are all on the same page

John , I do get to rambling once in a while . I will try to remember to break up the post into paragraphs more often . .
Okay to give everyone a little Idea of how bad my shop is here are some pictures . Okay crappy ones taken with my cellphone camera but still pictures
  1. View looking in the front door
  2. Work bench where lathe now sets
  3. Work bench just about ready to move
  4. New shelves I built to hold all my cased tool
  5. Work bay rear
Okay this is just the beginning . Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REDO002a.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	39840   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO003a.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	39841   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO004a.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	39842   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO005a.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	39843   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO006a.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	39844  

Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Red face More on the mess .

Here are more photos of the mess .
  1. Storage bay front
  2. Storage bay rear
  3. Whole of storage bay from outside
  4. Another shot of the new shelves
  5. Work Bay from outside
More photos next post , Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REDO007a.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	39845   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO008a.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	39846   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO009a.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	39847   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO010a.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	39848   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO011a.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	39849  

Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Default Storage building and double doors

More photos
  1. Storage building mess
  2. One of four fire rated double doors I have
  3. Progress , my 14" chain wrench , 14" & 24" aluminum handled RIDGID pipe wrenches hung up .
  4. My big wrenches for the crawler
The mess that is shown in these photos was a lot worse than it is now , Almost all the cased tools were setting on benches , on the floor and on several small shelves that were spread out around the shop .
In photo # 4 of post #7 you can clearly see the set of shelves that were built over the last few weeks for the cased tools . Not only did that free up a lot of space but it got all them in one place that can be quickly surveyed for attendance in the shop . No more rooting around for a tool .
Photo # 1 in post #7 shows a bench in the bottom left hand side , that had way too many boxes of stuff sitting on it , most of the Stuff in the boxes was junk or just plain trash and was sorted out of the good parts and either burnt up or sent out to the scrap barrel's .
Once the bench is out of there I will move the two engines and the stand the one engine is on out to the storage tent , to free up more room .
After the shop is done then comes the storage building , it is not as bad as it looks from the outside looking in . It needs a good organizing .
The door in photo two of this post is a 2hr fire rated door that is one of four that came out of a school remodel that I was on as an apprentice in 1998 . Two of then will be my inside doors between the front ( machine area ) and back (welding , auto repair and project build area ) shop . They need a good stripping and a coat of POR-15 then a lite sand paint job .
I do have progress to report I have managed to get some of my tools organized , and out of my roll away chest .
More tomorrow , I have a lead on a 10hp 3-phase motor for a RPC . Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REDO014a.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	39850   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO015a.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	39851   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO016a.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	39852   Click image for larger version

Name:	REDO017a.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	39853  
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Director of Product Reviews

Shelves, Now there is a neat idea to try! Of course it wasn't a problem until the floor space ran out. I have to say it looks as though you have done a great deal with what you have Dan!

Do I understand right that you have a gravel floor for now? What is going on with the new shop build?

Mother, mother ocean, I have heard you call,
Wanted to sail upon your waters
since I was three feet tall.
You've seen it all, you've seen it all.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

Tommy , Hmmm , how do I put this . The new shop was Denied in December , Lawyers will handle it from here and that I all I can say about it .
So with that out of the way , the "new combination machine area and mechanical room" has a bank gravel floor which was great for getting me out of the dirt and mud that was in there but became polluted with steel dust from grinding and burning over the years , I covered the floor with 2B stone to get away from the black dust that was getting tracked everywhere I went .
Now the plan is to fix the footers and pour a concrete floor with pex tubing it it for heat . Replace one section of concrete floor in the work bay , that section won't have the pex tubing in it as that area will be unheated unless I will be working back there on a project . A lot will be happening in the next few weeks . Dan
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank