Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Being a tech guy, I modified an old GM car stereo (early 90's) for an aux. Input. Built a wooden box with a gel cell battery for memory backup and mounted a couple salvaged speakers from a big ass TV (speakers were separate entities intended to be clipped to the side if the TV or set apart in the room). 12 volt power supply and a lifetime subscription to sat. radio gets tunes pumping in the shop 24/7.
It's not fantastic, but I'm not hosting a disco party.

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible
Old 09-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Post Fiend

Neighbor at home dragged an old Sony "all-in-one" with speakers down to the curb on trash day. I promptly grabbed a furniture dolly, loaded it and rolled it up my driveway. Wife says "you're not bringing that in the house" not that I planned to...

At the shop, I constructed a platform from an $8 HF dolly with a ratchet strap found in the street to keep it all together. The speakers were replaced with nicer Fishers grabbed from the curb at the shop. I think I had to replace the tweeters for around $6/pair.

The pictured adapter plugs into the phono port or tape port (I forget which) and plugs into the smartphone or mp3 player. The adapter conveniently just lays on top. I use a repurposed TV antenna on top for FM stereo which is 95% of what I listen to.

The stereo makes a nice "shelf" for markers, tape measure, utility knife, scissors, etc. but not shown because I was testing some Bose speakers that will probably end up hooked to the home shop stereo. It is also a nice shelf for keys and cell phone as I walk in the door. There is a power strip mounted in back that makes a convenient location for a cell phone charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopster.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	147128   Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	147129  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old 09-25-2018, 04:49 AM

Im on my 4th stereo reciever in the shop,-the first one(Fisher)died,unrepairable,-2nd one(Pioneer) burst into flames(I guess the grinder dust finally built up inside it) -3rd one(Sony 110watt)-got hit and knocked off the shelf by a section of c-channel being turned around(whoops) this 4th one is on a roll,another Sony off eBay for $35..holding up good so far. I dont need much just some background music or the game on..FWIW
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

What ever I find out at the curb....couple of cheap minimus copies hanging in the rafters.
Set is on an upper shelf, I can just reach it....and no one else can.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3IFVQhTqq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI4SzEb5tog

I don't "crank it" I just need a leetle background moosic...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf9-BCix4io
Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Below Wholesale

Shop tunes you say? I like my music and wanted to do something "a bit" over the top.
2 Yamaha 15" PA speakers wall mounted, a 18" powered Yamaha subwoofer up on top of my shitter, run by a QSC amp and Driverack PA signal processor. Actual inputs is a tablet with a bluetooth adapter (stream everything) We wont talk about cost because it was too much, I bought a component at a time over 2 years just so I wouldn't know either.

It sounds phenomenal and cranked up it will shake every tool in every box and cabinet out of place! One can run a needle scaler with muffs on and hear music perfectly well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wall mount.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	147224  
Old 10-02-2018, 04:00 AM
Director of Languages

I got an old backup tape drive from work and opened it up slightly, fitted a car head unit into it.

Some old speaker cabinets from a 70s record player have some car 6x9s in it.

I have a stack of CDs that somehow still play or aux cable to a laptop running spotify if there's some flat space for it to sit on at the time.

I had a big 90's multi disc cd player, double tape, radio, hi fi monster on the farm but it didnt like the damp, so now I mostly use a pair of peltor ear defenders that I put some headphones into.