Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 01-24-2023, 10:44 PM
Blast this!

Good Luck seems my Nephew has to work on his quite a bit .Clean filters and filtered oil helps .
Old 01-24-2023, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Kinda looks like mine.

Clean oil is really helpful. And keep air bubbles out of the line. I still need to get mine set up properly, but keep pump down low and the feeding line to burner all uphill, with no drops on line so the air can bleed out easy. Helps to have a bleeder just before the burner.

I’ll try to locate the cheat sheet that helped me.

I had a terrible time last weekend with my burner. Ended up with a clogged nozzle, and then trying to get it primed without air in the line was a pain.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
I can dig it

I don’t know a lot about the waste oil burners, other than it seems everyone that has them seems to struggle to find enough oil to feed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Do I have a life?

Just in time for Spring!

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
HF 80 lunchbox w/tig
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Administrator

http://www.centralohioheaters.com/Clean-Burn.html

This site has a wealth of information on waste oil heaters. And tips and tricks to getting a clean burn.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Something's Fishy ...

I used to service two of them in shops around here before they were both removed a and sold away from here.
a few tidbits from this experience.
1 they do not like antifeeze in the fuel.
2 the combustion suffers when there are fluctuations in the air pressure caused by any reason,
The nozzles used here were cleanable but suffered from short life due to wear caused by particles in the fuel.
These nozzles were very expensive $40=100 each depending on the supplier. availability was also hit and miss so each customer bought 3 spares at a time and filtered the used oil before letting it be put in the fuel tank.
We found that you either kept the heated space at a nearly constant temperature or you spent hours fiddling with the burners. in addition every user i dealt with added winter diesel to the fuel to keep the burners working when the air temp around the supply system dropped below about 40F.
You need about 6 motors to change oil in to maintain your supply for a single building and could not trust random soursed oil to be contaminant free.
The addatives that went out the chimneys contaminated the ground and needed proper cleanup if you want to sell the property, This may not apply every where.
the result was that the furnaces were not even close to cost effective here YMMV
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

I currently have a diesel fired torpedo heater and have been mostly happy with it. Only complaint is the smell when shutting down. Uses about a gallon a hour of run time. The Clean Burn lists a hour a gallon for diesel also.

I hate to admit it but I only use diesel from the station nearby the shop to fuel the heater.

I would not trust any used oil that I didn't drain myself. I suppose the oil from the lathe headstock and out of the horizontal mill would be good to burn too. Supposed to flush and refill with clean oil yearly. Just an example.

I think my main source of fuel would be store bought diesel just like I'm using now.
Old Today, 07:20 AM
Administrator

My two cents on the used oil heater.

We have one at work. We are a hydraulic cylinder rebuilding shop. We generate all our own oil. We supplement our natural gas heat with the used oil furnace. It works pretty well for us, but we do have to fuss with the heater from time to time. If I had to guess, it might be mainly due to the way it is piped from the tanks.

We pour the oil into 55 gallon barrels first. Then after it settles there for couple months, the oil is transfer pumped into the four main 250 gallon fuel oil tanks for main holding.

I think the oil is filtered at this stage to. Also the oil has had a chance for the bigger stuff to drop to the bottom and water to separate a bit. The mechanics are not the most careful to try to keep oil as clean as possible. After all I see them throw their cigarettes into the buckets.

After this the pump is above the tanks with another filter that pushes the oil up and over the walk way to the furnace which is in the middle of the room, next to the steel storage rack. I think this is where we might have some of the problems, at least to where I understand it from reading on the website I listed. If there is an air bubble in the line, it will not totally purge out due to the line, and then the furnace will not get consistent oil pressure and will have burner trouble.

I do not think you can over filter the oil. If you can get the water separated, even better.

I still have a lot to do to get my own setup properly. But it works pretty well for the temp set up I have. But I have have had some problems, and it seems to stem from dirty oil, and not getting air bleed out totally.

But when it is running , it blasts nice hot air.

I plan on tying to source oil from friends, and maybe local oil change place. I hear they might be happy to get rid of some so they do not have to get rid of it any other way.

As far as being efficient in a business? If your business generates oil, you have to get rid of it. And generally it will cost because it is considered a hazardous waste. So this will be another expense that will be added to business overhead, and passed onto the customers any way. And if no one at the place knows how to troubleshoot it, and needs to call in outside hvac help, then it can add up quickly in costs.

But our shop is still small mom and pa shop. So we need to save where we can, so try to keep our rates low enough for the small local repairs. The boss does most of the troubleshooting on the oil furnace. Just another hat he wears. And is reluctant to pass it on to anyone else. His choice. I try to learn from him when I can.

Another thing that was recommended was a metered pump. I guess that is a great upgrade. If I ever have to buy a new one, that will be the way I go.