Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 PM
Auction Addict

I have only one choice in my town of 3500. The local Hardware Hank store. It is painless. Roll out an empty from my truck and roll in a full one, no hassles, no questions.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
I use Praxair, they are great to work with, and after bitching (in a friendly way) they finally said OK we are going to put you down for the same prices that the company you retired from pay, but I still bitch about prices Need a extra bottle is not a problem. It is crazy what they charge for off the street people.
I have the same good luck, and they charge industrial price to me. Of course, after the movie came out, there are 3 more Ironman's besides me, and they probably think we're all one.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 03-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Armchair Webbie

I bought my tanks back in the late 70's. The counter guy said, "Hang onto that receipt. It's just like a car title and proves you own the tanks." Well, fast forward to 2018 and the LWS decided they'd had enough and went out of business.

Supposedly, another local company took over their customers. As little as I use my torch though, it's going to be years before I need to get the tanks refilled. I hope the new outfit, ( which has also been around forever), will honor my ownership.

I think I bought the tanks at least, one or two sizes too large.

Dave
Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

This is my LWS
https://www.industrialwelding.net/index.html

Been with them since 1979, started with just a/o tanks (all "owned") now up to 4 C25's, couple O2, couple Ar's; most are 150 cf and up. IIRC, last 300cf C25 I had filled was around $45.

I drive in, back up to loading dock, THEY unload whatever I got, swap it out for full (and load it in whatever I'm driving) while I'm inside paying, I come out, make sure everything's tied down MY way, done...

Considering the OTHER options in my area (usual complaints already expressed here) the best I can hope for is that I croak BEFORE the last of their family does ...Steve
Old 03-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shade View Post
I own 3 tanks, but have never had anyone check a certification date on any of them. When I go in to Matheson I take the empty tank off my truck and they roll a full tank out for me to take home. They exchange them just like I was leasing them.I did buy the tanks from them though, maybe that makes a difference.

The way it works for me, Airgas bought out the LWS I purchased my tanks from. Reading the horror stories about them was expecting the worst, did not happen so far so good.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 AM
I can dig it

When I was in Onterrible, I had the choice of a few. Praxair, Boc, and two smaller ones, not sure whose gases they carried. None filled on site, they were all exchange bottles.

I ended up using Praxair, the guys in the office were knowledgeable, and even when I was a ‘small’ customer they would sharpen their pencils and give me decent deals.

Where I am now, there is a welding shop in town that acts as a depot for Praxair, and I believe they are the only game in town. Next spot that I believe to have welding gases is about 60 miles away. After that it’s likely the same place Gerry uses in Leduc.

The NAPA here carries a lot of other welding supplies though, rod, gloves, wire etc.

This area the majority of welding is portable/outdoor work, so rod and flux core are the most common stuff needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM
trust but verify

LWS staff changes make quite a difference. For example my local Airgas have always been decent from when I was a noob to when I spent eight grand a month on gas and consumables for our local college, but they had a worthless manager just before my time. (I know the staff and they despised her.) Their staff turnover is frequent. They've been great at getting my collection of used cylinders hydro'ed and exchanged, but they have to send out the hydro tests to a facility that tends to lose them. I get back a good cylinder either way so I'm content.

My local Southern Welders are very friendly and good if you're a walk-in, but they kept fucking up school orders. That was years ago but the school went to Airgas and remains with them. No problems that I know of and my buds at the school would tell me.

BTW I've done well scoring used cylinders because I did my homework and knew what companies Airgas bought out so I either bought those brands or blank neck ring "owner" cylinders. I'm an industrial gas glutton. I quit counting a while back but have about twenty cylinders. They don't depreciate so why not? I only leased one cylinder before getting smart. I use CO2 for welding, tire filling in the field (don't buy a Power Tank, all you need is a fixed pressure regulator and an air chuck) and running my pneumatic impact on 200 psi. I use nitrogen to pressure check auto and truck AC systems (vacuum isn't great at leak detection and pressure pushes UV dye nicely). Oxygen, acetylene, LP, MIG mix and argon cover cutting and welding needs. Now and then I score balloon helium cylinders which I exchange for other gases. (If you remove the ballon filler and replace with a chuck you have a handy fixed pressure regulator, and the balloon filler rubber dick works well as a pneumatic blowgun if you add a brass air QD nipple.)

Multiple tanks mean no urgent refills ever, total convenience, a variety of cylinder sizes for any occasion, and rarely having to push cylinder carts.

I transfill medical oxygen cylinders from my welding O2 (so common in general aviation they sell transfill whips) for lightweight portable cutting. I recently had my first heart attack (cholesterol got me though I work out, check yours!) and now keep 'em handy for their original purpose.

Gas is good.

Last edited by monckywrench; 03-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Difference in commercial size owned bottles and leased bottles

Ok, so others can see what I've been saying about the difference in a true commercial sized owner bottle and a leased commercial size bottle.
This is good to know what to look for when buying used bottles from questionable sources like CL.

Slick neck rings are always personal ownership bottles federal regulations for identifying...

Smaller ownership bottles will be embossed like any other Commercial size lease bottle. But, can be owned as are not as regulated for ownership as deemed commercial sizes.

two pic's o help anyone who is not sure what slick neck and embossed neck ring are. or looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0357.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	150072Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0359.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	150073

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:08 AM
I can dig it

Ring markings mean squat here. ‘Owning’ a bottle is basically a lifetime lease, as they are always exchanged, never refilled.

So it really depends where you are located.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 03-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I have always been suspicious of "owned" bottles for sale, especially when sold very cheap. Because they are not cheap to buy at all.
I have a small argon bottle that cost $300 from KMS tools. If I sold it the lowest I would go would be half the new.

The only time it pays to own, is if you use so little of it that your rental lasts 2 years or more. Then you should buy.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott