Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-19-2005, 05:50 PM
TD15

Default Looking for corn stove plans

Burning corn seems to be the hot ticket this year, but ready made stoves are very hard to come by. After reading Karl-NC's post on waste oil burner plans, I googled for plans for a corn burning stove, but came up empty handed. Has anyone come across any plans for building a corn stove and allied equipment? My guess is that it would be significantly more complicated, (and they are much more expensive!) than a comparably sized wood stove.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:36 PM

is there any benefit to burning corn then wood or oil? other than maybe you have a sufficent supply of corn over wood or oil
Old 12-19-2005, 07:06 PM
s_ontario

well i tried to help you out with a google search but i got sidetracked

http://homedistiller.org/designs.htm

hey they will help to take the chill off too plus use up your corn supply
Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM

To burn corn the right way, your stove needs to have electronic controls. Same with pellets. I'm trying to beat the system with a semiautomatic stove of my own design. This system is based on the fuel that I have available (woodchips, Northeastern NY State) and to suit my specific load ( machine shop, house, domestic hot water). It's an uphill battle. Unless you have time to live like Paul Bunyan, or have someone in your house who is willing to feed the pyres 24/7, you might as well hold down a second job to pay the Oil Barons.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Big Shovel

Well, I'm not going to be much help here, just some input.......My dad has an indoor corn furnace. It works pretty good and is hooked up to the central heating system. He also has a natural gas furnace as a backup. I think it burns about 2 bushel a day when it's really cold (like now) . Like stovepoker mentioned, it is electronically controlled. There is a small fire pot in the center, and the corn is augered into it on demand from a hopper bin. I imagine the firepot to be similar to the oil burners, you need forced air to keep it burning. the corn also needs to be clean and dry (don;t try using crappy, wet or moldy or dusty corn, - won't work)

Nice thing is they dont smoke or smell as bad as wood. If you grow corn this would be great. if you have to buy it, and the market goes up.........your screwed, just like buying oil. I havent seen an outdoor corn furnace up close, but I'm betting it's just like the wood furnaces, only adapted to corn???

well, that's all I got. good luck finding some plans. I'm sure it can be done.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:35 PM

I toyed around with the idea of building a corn stove to. I couldn't find plans for one either so I ended up buying one this fall. It was supposed to go into the house and then I was going to see how it was built and build one for the shop. Well I decieded how was I supposed to build a stove in a cold shop. So needless to say my wife is not to happy but the new corn stove ended up in the shop. After seeing how it operates I am not so sure about building one. I have had trouble getting the computer control unit set right so it will remain burning for more than a couple hours. I have contacted the company a few times but we don't have all the bugs ironed out yet. I must say that every thing has to be timed just right to maintain a good burn. This stove has the auger that feeds in corn and also an agitator in the firepot that stirs the burning corn to keep it from forming a hard deposit. When I was considering building one we were going to use a little electric motor on the auger with a dial switch to speed it up or slow it down. I think that might work. Other than that it is just a holding bin and ash pan. I might be able to take some pictures if you like.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Let There Be Light

where does the burnt up corn end up?

growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Old 12-19-2005, 09:08 PM

From everything I've read in this thread, it sounds like the corn stoves are just glorified and modernized coal stokers. I used to deliver coal and the furnaces that burned 'rice' size coal seem pretty similar to what's being described here. Maybe if you could find an old stoker, or plans for one, that might be an avenue to pursue.

Just MY 2 cents worth!

chaikwa.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 PM

In my stove the firepot has small approx. 1/8" holes in the bottom where the ashes are fall through into a ash drawer below. The agitator helps to work the ashes out.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 PM

10-28-1951 to 4-19-2021
Da Chief

Hey, TD15, google "mother earth news plans", I dimly remember seeing some plans and test articles a few years ago on wood chip and corn stoves. RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?