Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default Time, and room to breathe.

Yesterday I dropped off all the forged door handles for coating. Finished those Tuesday night at 9pm. Finished a door and delivered that today. Came back and took a nap for an hour.
My shop has been in disarray for months with piles of bar by the bandsaw for cutting, layers of chips around and under everything, tables full of projects under way, etc.

Today I came back out and cleaned house a bit. I sweep up daily, just can't get under everything. Put on a mask and glasses and blew all the chit out and cleaned it all up. Filled up a 5 gallon bucket with chips and grinding dust.
I can now move freely again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170420_191945.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	138980
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Just something ya gotta do from time to time! Looks good from here. Want to come do my shop next?

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM
Elite Member

I've been cleaning my garage out for the last couple weeks. Its amazing how much I've "put back where its supposed to go" and how much I've thrown away. I still have piles and boxes to go through, but at least I can walk in now.

I had to climb over crap for the last 3 months.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:37 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
I've been cleaning my garage out for the last couple weeks. Its amazing how much I've "put back where its supposed to go" and how much I've thrown away. I still have piles and boxes to go through, but at least I can walk in now.

I had to climb over crap for the last 3 months.
I'm in the same boat, but it's been far longer than 3 months. It's gotten to the point I don't have room to work on anything anymore.

2 weeks ago I gave myself an intervention. I do NOT need to hoard every tiny ass scrap of metal. For Christ​ sake I work for a steel fabricator that recycles more in a day than I could hoard in a month! I need to can the "I could use this some day" bullshit and get honest with myself. Am I really gonna rebuild that 12.5 HP small engine that I disassembled (I say five years ago) but it's probably ten, that now resides in a Rubbermaid box? With the list of projects I WANT to complete, probably not (but I couldn't toss it anyway . . .yet).

I guess I started the journey about a month or so ago. It was when we were talking about annoying YouTubers. I had the thought that maybe I could develop content like a hybrid of John Heisz, Jody Collier, Matthias Wandel, April Wilkerson, and Jay Bates, except geared towards metalworking/welding. I probably won't, but it got me started by making a list of projects that I WANT to build. I couldn't see myself building something just for the sake of video, I have to want to do it. I came up with a list of about 80 items.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I finalized a plan of how I want to reorganize the shop and decided in what order I'm going to move shit around. I started cleaning those areas and I move my first bench this weekend. I already have buckets and totes separated by tools that don't have a home, and consumable items/hardware. My drawer where I keep nothing but writing utensils is overflowing.

This is a real bitch, but by having the end in mind with a true motivation to get back into the shop to MAKE stuff is a true motivation. It's embarrassing to have it get this bad.

Thanks for listening, I'll get off your couch now, lol.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
I'm in the same boat, but it's been far longer than 3 months. It's gotten to the point I don't have room to work on anything anymore.

2 weeks ago I gave myself an intervention. I do NOT need to hoard every tiny ass scrap of metal. For Christ​ sake I work for a steel fabricator that recycles more in a day than I could hoard in a month! I need to can the "I could use this some day" bullshit and get honest with myself. Am I really gonna rebuild that 12.5 HP small engine that I disassembled (I say five years ago) but it's probably ten, that now resides in a Rubbermaid box? With the list of projects I WANT to complete, probably not (but I couldn't toss it anyway . . .yet).

I guess I started the journey about a month or so ago. It was when we were talking about annoying YouTubers. I had the thought that maybe I could develop content like a hybrid of John Heisz, Jody Collier, Matthias Wandel, April Wilkerson, and Jay Bates, except geared towards metalworking/welding. I probably won't, but it got me started by making a list of projects that I WANT to build. I couldn't see myself building something just for the sake of video, I have to want to do it. I came up with a list of about 80 items.

Then about 2 weeks ago, I finalized a plan of how I want to reorganize the shop and decided in what order I'm going to move shit around. I started cleaning those areas and I move my first bench this weekend. I already have buckets and totes separated by tools that don't have a home, and consumable items/hardware. My drawer where I keep nothing but writing utensils is overflowing.

This is a real bitch, but by having the end in mind with a true motivation to get back into the shop to MAKE stuff is a true motivation. It's embarrassing to have it get this bad.

Thanks for listening, I'll get off your couch now, lol.

Wow, I could have written this post myself.

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 04-22-2017, 01:08 PM
I can dig it

Almost 20 years of inventory, and an entire hobby farm of stuff, and I'm basically downsizing to what will fit in 'maybe' a double car garage, that has to move 3500 kilometres/2000 miles. Think I'm gonna be busy.

Two thumb typing on a phone, as I never have time to use a computer!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
Almost 20 years of inventory, and an entire hobby farm of stuff, and I'm basically downsizing to what will fit in 'maybe' a double car garage, that has to move 3500 kilometres/2000 miles. Think I'm gonna be busy.

I would be a nervous wreck. I don't think I could handle liquidating so much "stuff".
Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM
I can dig it

I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Know all those projects that have been sitting on a back shelf that we all have? They are the ones going first. Put a couple ads up, and a bunch of stuff should be gone by Monday.

Funny thing? Right now I'm getting about 3-4 times what I had paid for the starting 'inventory' for these projects.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post

Wow, I could have written this post myself.

It was an attempt to mind game myself. If I say it in "public", I have to get it done to save myself from the embarrassment. Lol - it's working!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

I would say public shaming should work, but usually won't.
My shop is chaos. I normally say organized chaos, but it's not very organized at the moment. It looks like several bombs went off in strategic areas!
I have posted pics of my shop before... but not this time!
I need about 2 weeks uninterrupted.
I envy those of you that have the tenacity to keep your work space spotless.
I'm in awe!

Learning boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some have to pee on the electric fence. - Norm W.

Mathew 10:36
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household
-Ironman quoting the Bible