Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Standard of Excellence

Default All right now, let's get with it

After a crappy day on a jobsite doing rework of stuff that got effed up, during a week that I don't have time for it, I now get to go spend tomorrow in the same place doing work that they didn't want done before when it was easy and I was all set up for. Now they want it done with all the other trades work in front of it, and glass all around. No problem, I can drop everything and come down and fix it, that is what I live for!

So, can somebody post up a nice fab project to get my mind off of it???
Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Andy, sounds like you are have the same week I am. Only difference is I am fixing someone else's mistake. It is starting to get interesting when the owners walked through and asked what we were doing? Some interesting emails are going around now. Hope you get your job done with no extra damage. I was warned to make sure I do not burn down this 60% completed 20 million $ home. Gotta love cut off wheels and welding sparks. Other guy can't figure out why we have to use a cut off grinder when a torch would be faster. Sure faster and a lot more increased chance of fire that we do not want to take. Sometimes you just have to take the safer route. We had to remove all treads and reposition the level and at the correct rise/ run. The stringers were not leveled when originally installed and the treads in the center were lower by about an inch from where they were supposed to be. Not the quality you would expect in this caliber of house. And this is the last thing we needed to get thrown in our laps right now too. Everyone else is trying to get last minute jobs done before the nasty weather hits and stays. have a good night.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2696476550.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	127261  

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 10-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Standard of Excellence

Well Brian, at least I know I am in good company! Mine doesn't look as bad as yours does.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Post Fiend

I'll trade both of ya. 9.5 hours of working on a garbage truck will make most anything else look pretty damn appealing.

Sent from my ipotato
Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
I'll trade both of ya. 9.5 hours of working on a garbage truck will make most anything else look pretty damn appealing. Sent from my ipotato
Ya you can have that one. :-) although I was just informed that I will be going back to the waste treatment plant to fix the other side of a stainless pipe that was eaten away again. I fixed it about 6 months ago. There was a 1/2" diameter hole that I tigged up. I thought I posted pictures. Now the other side ate out. I think I will be making a new piece this time and welding it on. I dread going back, between the smell and laying on the floor under the equipment.

Brian

Old 10-29-2015, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Here is picture of the main staircase. The upper section of stairs in the second pic I had to cut those steel treads out a year ago and fix the rises on them too. I think the top one was off by 1/2". The carpenters made the other ones work. There is insane amount of hours in the making of the wood handrail, but looks awesome. Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2499781636.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	127262   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3424660795.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	127263   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3722220770.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	127264   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4278377836.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	127265  

Last edited by toprecycler; 10-29-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:07 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Ya you can have that one. :-) although I was just informed that I will be going back to the waste treatment plant to fix the other side of a stainless pipe that was eaten away again. I fixed it about 6 months ago. There was a 1/2" diameter hole that I tigged up. I thought I posted pictures. Now the other side ate out. I think I will be making a new piece this time and welding it on. I dread going back, between the smell and laying on the floor under the equipment.

Brian
Does this pipe carry wastewater, or is it a chlorine treatment line?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flametamer

Quote:
I'll trade both of ya. 9.5 hours of working on a garbage truck will make most anything else look pretty damn appealing.
It's not a lot of difference, but at least you work at the front of the garbage truck and not the rear.

Dt
Old 10-29-2015, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopmonkey View Post
Does this pipe carry wastewater, or is it a chlorine treatment line?
It is a inlet pipe for water that rinses out some tank. I think the tank separates water from the sludge coming from the sewage treatment process. I guess before they installed this piece the waste was considered hazarderous waste. By separating the water from the sludge the dried solids can just be disposed in normal landfill. This SS pipe is where a water hose connects to inject some water into the sludge hopper before it goes up a corkscrew pipe to be dumped into a dumpster. I guess it might take a week for the sludge entering the tube before it comes out the top, so it has a lot of time to dry out. The SS pipe is about 1/2" inside diameter but the inlet end is reduced to about 1/4" hole to limit amount of water entering the hopper. Boss thinks this allows the water and sludge to swirl in end of pipe causing it to be eaten away. We are thinking about drilling a piece of solid round with small hole drilled through it and welding that into the hopper instead of pipe. I have some pictures but they are on work computer. Brian Actually here is the original thread I posted with pictures. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43747
I hope the link works. I guess I should have welded all the way around the pipe. I guess the filler rod I used is holding better than the stainless pipe.

Last edited by toprecycler; 10-29-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to Destructo_d Send a message via Yahoo to Destructo_d

Quote:

Sent from my ipotato
Sorry for thread drift... Did you see the video floating around of the guy on the back end of a rear loader? He was um. very angry at a home owner who packed their garbage into their plastic garbage can.... he couldn't get it all out... got ticked and threw it in truck... he continued his rant and ripped out the post mounted mail box and tossed it in the truck too. best angry video I have seen in a while