Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Blankee Master

Default Prince Spool Gun Questions

Anyone here with this spoolgun, problem I am having is that I have to run the thing at 700 ipm, which is maxed out.

According to the manual that came with it, 3/16 material, settings at 16 volts and 250 ipm, does not work, have to run 19 volts and 600 ipm.

Talked to my supplier and the Lincoln rep for my area will be in the shop next week. I ordered .045 wire and tips this morning to see if I can slow it down some with thicker wire????? Have a trlr in today for welding work so will check this all out.

I figure I need the spoolgun to feed upwards of 800 ipm to control the burnback, this is with .035 wire.

Any thoughts suggestions.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Elite Member

What tips are you running, .044 ? .044 for .035 aluminum and .060 for 3/64 aluminum wire.

Are you burning back at the start? Is run-in available? What drive rolls, Knurled or the .035 smooth U ones from MK? I had better luck with the smooth ones.
One burnback with those tips and they are toast. Use a new tip when that happens. .035 does it worse then 3/64 wire

Side note on your friends 1500 esab----

Tell him some of the Powercut 1500 were overheating the fet's when running on 480 volts (high side) and long arcing the machine. Esab has fixed that problem on all of the new ones.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Larger wire will let you slow down the speed. 600 ipm doesn't compute, are you sure about that? That would be a bunch of amps.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Blankee Master

Tending to burn back as I am welding and well into the weld, start is okay. Running .044 tips.

Just loaded the gun with .045 and .059 tips. Wire speed at 500 voltage 20.8 and getting good results. Ran a couple beads on some 3/16, a little hot, but have not dialed it in yet.

Yes correct numbers I am posting here, specifically, .035 wire, .044 tip 20.8 volts and 700 wire speed

same material with .045 wire .059 tip-- 500 wire speed 20.8 volts. I can turn down the power and wire speed now as I am running it too hot just to try out.

Scottv, thanks for the info on the Esab. Buddy runs single phase 240, home shop. Good to know this info, he really likes the machine as well, I like mine too, not too happy with the standoff guides though, real cheap.

I have no problem with the tips, lasting a very long time, ran about 6 pounds of wire with one tip and still looks good, that was .035.

The powermig has the run in for the steel torch, don't know if it applies to the spoolgun???? Wil check out and post, I have some welding to do this afternoon and will fiddle some more with it
Old 04-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Blankee Master

okay, got decent welds on 3/16- .045 wire .059 tip 16.4 volts and 290 ipm, this is close to what Lincoln says in thier manual, good enough for me.

What I don't understand, is that much difference from running .035. Do these numbers sound reasonable. Is this gun, maybe suited to work only .045 and heavier wire?????

The other gun I have on the Powermig 200 with Lincoln gun, runs the .035 and works well, ran .030 with it as well and got good results.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the Lincoln gun in place of the Prince gun.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by big rig guy
okay, got decent welds on 3/16- .045 wire .059 tip 16.4 volts and 290 ipm, this is close to what Lincoln says in thier manual, good enough for me.

What I don't understand, is that much difference from running .035. Do these numbers sound reasonable. Is this gun, maybe suited to work only .045 and heavier wire?????

The other gun I have on the Powermig 200 with Lincoln gun, runs the .035 and works well, ran .030 with it as well and got good results.

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have opted for the Lincoln gun in place of the Prince gun.
Where are you reading the IPM from? Is it off the settings on the gun or off your meter on the machine? The control circuits may not be compatible or calibrated for each other. I know some guns run off 24V and some off 30V.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Blankee Master

Ron, this whole setup that I bought is all integrated with the welder and the spoolgun and is supposed to work properly right out of the box. They are mated for each other.

I am running the .045 now and it is working better and closer to the settings that Lincoln recomends. The info I got for the settings is right out of the owners manual and the machine labels as well.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Ron, this whole setup that I bought is all integrated with the welder and the spoolgun and is supposed to work properly right out of the box. They are mated for each other.

I am running the .045 now and it is working better and closer to the settings that Lincoln recomends. The info I got for the settings is right out of the owners manual and the machine labels as well.
Scratch that idea. 600 - 700 ipm on 0.035 wire doesn't make sense at all?!
Were you running 100% argon or argon helium? 4043 or 5356?

Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Blankee Master

Yes 100 % Argon, .035 4043, correct on the wire speed at 700 ipm, which is maxed out. Have you got the same gun, and if so, what are your settings????
Old 04-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Yes 100 % Argon, .035 4043, correct on the wire speed at 700 ipm, which is maxed out. Have you got the same gun, and if so, what are your settings????
No I have a Spoolmatic 30A on my MM 350P.