Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 12-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Amalgam

Default Sand Blasting equipment

Hi there,
I got the permission from my dictator General boss (read wife) to buy a sandblasting system. Since this is once-in-life-time opportunity, I need help from you liberated guys

1) The Air compressor is capable to deliver 15.1 CFM @ 90 PSI. Is that enough to run a good gun?
2) What would be a good sand blaster? (Please, consider that I got the permission, not the money) I have been looking at the Harbor freight one but I am afraid to buy one. Are they ok? Any experience?
3) The Cabinet: What is cheaper buy one or build one. I do not have scrap metal to build one, so I would have to buy the material. Now, I do have a lot of wood; can I build a wooden cabinet? Will it work? What do I need to consider when building one?
Thank you guys, as always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alfredo
Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Dodge City Marshal

What do you plan on cleaning with it?

<envy> Looks like you have a nice compressor... </envy>
Old 12-14-2004, 10:23 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Alfredo, I believe that Banzai bought a HF or Homier cabinet and modified the weak points out of it and wound up with a sandblast cabinet he was pretty pleased with. Maybe we can get that secret agent to come forward & help you out.
Ok, it was him; I took time out for a little search and found this followup thread:
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326

John Banzai would indeed be the man to help advise you about the Hormier/HF pluses & minuses. I'm sure some others have some experiences to contribute as well.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 12-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Urban Gunfighter

homier tool gypsies sell the same cabinet as HF, but for a lot cheaper. I'd wager you could build a decent one out of plywood, and then line the inside with rubber, similar to big truck mud flaps to keep the wood from being eaten up in short order. look at tiptools.com for their home brew kits and plans. there are a lot of sites and threads around on blast cabinets and home brew contraptions.

Banzai's got the 411 on fixing up the tool gypsie one.

"I am a man of peace, but if war comes to my door it will find me home."
Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 PM

The pressure pot type uses less air than a suction gun. The nozzel id makes a big difference in air comsumption. I got by for a long time using a 3/32 nozzel on a small compressor.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to rodburner Send a message via Yahoo to rodburner

Alfredo I bought one from homier also and it works fine for what I do with it. I did replace the gun because the orings in it didn't last very long. and the hoses are not worth a crap,replaced those too. And like Chumly said homier is cheaper on their cabinets. And from lookin at the one in HF there isn't much difference.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Amalgam

Thank you guys,
I have been checking your tips and now I know that I can build a cabinet out of wood. For those of you educated in the subject, some more questions
1) The cabinets that I have checked have two wholes in the back, one that I guess is for the vacuum machine and another one that looks like it is an air intake what is the last one for?
2) The vacuum cleaner is to collect the dust. However, I read something about a dust collector for 3 hundred bucks isn't a vaccum like I have seen in one of the threads enough?
Thank you again
Alfredo

Last edited by Amalgam; 12-14-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 PM
f350ca

Alfredo,
Not sure if its available in the sunny south but there is a plastic product up here marketed as PUCK BOARD. Its the stuff used in hockey rinks. Building supply places carry it. Its a white medium hard plastic sheet. 4x8 in 1/8 or 1/4 thickness. think it might be a polyethalene but not sure. Think it would be soft enough that the sand wouldn't cut it very much, but I've never tried sand blasting it. Always planned on making a cabinet out of it but haven't got around to it yet,
Could use the 1/8 to line a plywood cabinet or the 1/4 with an angle Iron frame to fab one.
Greg
Old 12-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Banned

Alfredo, do you know how much dust a sandblaster makes? Yer wife's gonna KILL you.
Build the cabinet from plywood, and line it with rubber sheeting, ought to be plenty of rubber roofing still around from the lat hurricane.
Since I'm workin from LN's puter, I don't have all my cheatsheets available.

You want a good gun assembly, preferably without a trigger, and with a foot pedal.
I believe there are plans on frugalmachinist for the homemade cabinet he built.
Vacuum cleaners don't make good dust collectors, and definitely don't last long.
I believe I posted the site on this board that is the bible of sandblasting, but if I didn't, I'll get it up here.

MOST IMPORTANT, get a good air compressor, and Harbour Flotsum don't sell them, neither do box stores. Look into a Champion or DevAir
When I get my machine back on line I'll have more info available.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:41 PM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Alfredo, maybe you could build a blasting cabinet out of plywood and - in fact, I'm almost positive you can. But look a little closer at all the accessories and hardware you're going to need to buy. You're going to need some kind of glass for the viewing area, hinges for the doors, seals for the doors. Find some rubber gloves & gauntlets of the right variety; you have to be sure to get the collection area of the cabinet shaped just so to allow the media to accumulate in the pickup area of the chute, you need a gate here & a hose connector there _ you know what? Damned if I don't think you could have bought a cheap one for less money and concentrated your time & resources on slicking it up and finishing it - like Banzai did. Even if you buy a bench model & make a stand for it & then bring it up to snuff, you'd probably be time & money ahead.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."