Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 07-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
...The general consensus seems to be having them standing for 2 hours will get everything back where it belongs.
The acetone ain't exactly sloshin around in there, it's more or less soaked into the filler material.
The wait time is for the acetone/dissolved acetylene solution percolate (for lack of a better term.) back down into the filler material; I believe most bottles still in service are filled with diatomaous earth. 2 hours is enought but longer will not hurt anything.

Can anybody tell me why the flame is green? Acetone burn almost colorless and acetylene burns yellow in the atmosphere?

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero
Ive heard so many things about acet that I dont know which way is up. Can anyone lay down the straight dope on acet handling? Donno if it was the right thing to do but I just had to get new cylinders of CO2, 02, and Acet. Shop I buy from is 30 min from my office, home is an hour. Between the store and work the bottle was on its side. When I got back to work from my lunch break, I stood the acet up. Will lay it back down on the hour commute home. What should I do before using it when I get home? Anything?
Well transporting upright in the bed of your pick up should not be an issue. Build a small rack to strap it too. Because I KNOW you would not be dumb enough to transport the bottle in the trunk of your car or in the cabin of a vehicle, if you are, cutter should begin getting you Darwin nomination written.

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 07-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
Well transporting upright in the bed of your pick up should not be an issue. Build a small rack to strap it too. Because I KNOW you would not be dumb enough to transport the bottle in the trunk of your car or in the cabin of a vehicle, if you are, cutter should begin getting you Darwin nomination written.
Rest easy STW, Im not that stupid. I have seen the explosive power of a fully functional battle station, er, make that acetelene gas. I truely fear and respect it. No joeying way in hades would I put that stuff in an inclosed environment, expecially the cab or trunk of a car.

Looks like I have a new project, removable bottle rack for my truck.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade Tree Welder
Can anybody tell me why the flame is green? Acetone burn almost colorless and acetylene burns yellow in the atmosphere?
BECAUSE it does, and that's a good enough reason.

If you had been paying attention in chemistry class, you'd probably know the reason, but you weren't paying attention, were you. No, you were figuring your boyish charm and good looks would get you by in the real world. Damn good thing for you Marie Curie took pity on yer sorry butt and carried you all those years at the oil company.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:43 AM

Here is my favorite way to transport your bottles.....it cuts down on tailgaters.

This is not my project! Just saw it on the web and my jaw dropped in amazement. I'm sure he will get the "Darwin Award" someday.

That being said a little switch under the dash and a few explosive bolts will cut down on any road rage real quick.

Last edited by AV8OR; 07-15-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

And, it's superior to OnStar. When struck from the rear, the vehicle instantly sends up 2 long burning flares.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Picture does give some information.

Well, the plate tells us that he is in Washington State and got his explorer in the city of Issaquah (somewhat east of Seattle) and the street sign could be either in Seattle or Bellvue would be my guess.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
Elite Member

I think there needs to be a STUPID or FUTURE DARWIN section added to the forum. What are these guys thinking?

Guess we could save bandwidth, just post a link to hofart's.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 PM

He is not the sharpest tool in the shed. If you go to his web page he has lots of interesting shop stuff and interesting articles along with his kid's schedule for the entire world to see.

http://www.tinyisland.com/

His 4x6 band saw page is frequently cited among different web sites for those wanting to tune up their band saws. It is easy to then link to his kid’s calendar. This day and time I would never put that much information out there on the web.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Team DeSade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
...Come to think about it, take Mr DeSade with you, he is misinformed about acetelene...
Franz,
With all due respect, while I do appreciate the link and the info contained therein, I fail to see where I'm misinformed. Perhaps my statement was a bit of oversimplification, but I thought I covered that with the statement

"Of course there's a bit more to it than that for acetylene, but this simplifies it."

I do understand that acetylene is stored as a gas dissolved in acetone and stabilized with a porous substance. I'll admit that I didn't know what the porous substance was, but I think I had the basics right.
For all practical purposes, it is still handled as a cylinder of liquid.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm still missing your point. If that's the case, please enlighten me. I come here to learn.

Guess it's time to go do that intro post I've been putting off...