Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Elite Member

Default drill sets good deals

Ok, need some bird dogging, can someone point me to a internet vendor for drill bit sets/ drill dispenser cabinets?

My junk sucks and that is if I can track them down, so in the interest of less frustration i need to get my misc, tooling in order.

drill (bits) good buy's or avoid at all cost , opinions wanted tia

ps. please disregard the whiny tone
Old 06-25-2005, 09:17 PM

I don't know about everyone else but most of my bits come from work out of the scrap bin. At the company I work for anything under 1/2" is not resharpened I get them and resharpen on a Drill doc at home. My large bits I buy from a local mill supply house. What I did to keep them organized was buy one of the traveling tool gypsy (cummins set) sets for around ten bucks for the metal fold out organizer box most of the china bits are good for about 3 or 4 holes before they are dulled to the point of resharpening so you can go thru them pretty quick and replace them in the box with good bits. I think Union Butterfield does offer a complete bit set up to 3/4 but it is expensive.

All that was probably no help at all

Jeff
Old 06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Grumpy Bastard

I suggest you look for a Nachi (Japanese) set they are top line drill bits for a reasonable price. They are better than PTD (Precision Twist Drill) made here in Illinois. I like buying American made but the quality here is unbelievable.

I suggest M-42 (cobalt) for metal cutting.

http://www.nachiamerica.com/distribu...utting%20tools

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 06-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailers for sale or rent

http://www.use-enco.com
Old 06-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

allrightee, seems I need some schoolin-
118° or 135° ?

and if you have any links for information on drills, beginner level prefered, I think need to find time this winter to take a machinists 101 class

More info: have 3/8 drills & 1/2" rt angle drill and one central machinery (hf) t-583 drill press. these are pretty much what I use to make holes. Just incase there is some information about drill bits relating to the above tools that will be useful

found this link, kind've the choices are a tad bit too much for my enfeebled brain
https://www.otelo.org/catalog/catalog1.asp?ix=668362
Old 06-26-2005, 01:20 AM

12-29-1943 to 1-17-2020
Curmudgeon emeritus

Ray,

I don't claim any expertise about drill bits other than having worn a lot of them out but I do have a question that might help you get the right answers here, especially with respect to angles:

what kind of stock are you primarily drilling your holes in?

I'm kinda like Jeff except I usually get my bits out of my own scrap bin & anything from 1/2 inch down to about 5/32's I just try to re-grind with a Drill Doctor & keep on trucking. They may not be perfect but that little tool has been a lifesaver to me.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"I am not a body, I am free.
For I am still as God created me."
Old 06-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Elite Member

Cutter, almost always mild steel 1/8-1/4" thickness, 3/8" & 1/2" sometimes, but less frequently.

Thanks again SFT crowd
Old 06-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Wyoming

X-ray,
Just got a MSC flyer in the mail today. Lists the Letter/Number/Fractional set for around $91. This is the American made set...might be Triumph as the ones I have ordered from them before were. Whether you need the full set of L/N/F or not is up to you. I have a set from 3-4 years back...might not be the same set...that have lasted very well.

I'll second Shade's recommendation of the Nachi bits. Bought over a 1500 of them when an East coast machine shop went under and they are exceptional.

You might also look on eBay. I was able to get a new in package Chicago-Latrobe 29 bit fractional set for $10 and shipping.

Decided to add a photo before Franzie takes away my Directorship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drill bits.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	4654  

Last edited by Wyoming; 06-26-2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 AM

I got my 115pc Number/Letter/Fractional set, it's a plain Hertel 118* HSS set.

Paid $75-odd dollars from jlindustrial.com

They go on sale every once in a while.

I don't *need* a fancy, expensive set. I don't need split point 135*, I don't work enough that I can't center punch everything. I don't need Ti coating. I hand sharpen my twist drills. Hertel is a basic, high quality American made brand.

Two other American brands that will set you back twice that much are Chicag/ Latrobe or Cleveland Twist Drill.

The most imporant thing about my set is this. I *have* one. I always have the right size for hand tapping, for everything basically.

It stays very sharp for the abuse I put it through. It takes a hand sharpening even though myskills are less than expert.

Twist drills are a no-brainer American purchase IMO. We make top and mid-quality sets at competitive prices. There is absolutly no reason whatsoever to buy offshore for these things. Just pointing that out
Old 06-28-2005, 05:17 PM

With drill bits you usually get what you paid for.

For the most common and most used sizes get good ones. The others can be down on the scale.

Keep them sharp and don't overheat them.

I have a varied assoetment from the extended employee benefit plan. Many are in dire need of sharpening but I have no Drill Doctor and have not mastered the freehand style.

A block of wood and drill holes to the bit size will store them easily. Not pretty but works.

Egon