Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 04-16-2005, 10:23 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

Quote:
Also I do get calls where a larger truck will get stuck, so part of my thoughts were to keep it light.
This truck will be stuck too if thats an issue. How have you been doing it up to now? Don, I have done it out the back of a regular pickup box too, not really all that bad. Out of a pickup I would be skimpy, get rid of the large bottles, skip the co2, skip the compressor. Get a simple electric impact if you need to do bolts. I find most field work fairly simple as far as welding goes, sticks are fine, grinder, torches, hardly ever drill, burn holes. Kind of like JT said, just the basics. Misc stuff adds up, welding lead etc.

Last edited by Sberry; 04-16-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

It occurrs to me, having seen Shade drive, he best have tow hooks, front and back, and plenty of tow chain too.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 AM

Back when I was still considered employable in oil field work I saw many welding trucks.

All were 3500 series with preferably four wheel drive. Only once did I see a 3/4 ton being used and it did not have a full load of equipment.

They had many different deck styles but basiclly the same. The welder would be mounted just over of the rear axle. Bottles were mounted just behind cab on one side. The other side would have a full height tool box. Most had tool boxes that enclosed the welder and also hung down on the sides. The air compressor would be on one back corner. All the cables were on reels in a cabinet.

Some were spotless and others looked like a disaster. Strangely enough this was no indication of the welders ability.

The welding platform was transferable from truck to truck.

Your situation may be different but from the units I saw a 1/2 ton is just too small.

Egon
Old 04-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
Shade, why do you care what a 330 weighs? A 5# bottle of Co2 will more than dispense the half barrel of beer you'll be carrying. What's the beer barrel weigh with taps and cooling equipment?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley
Old 04-17-2005, 01:58 PM
GOD of Strawberries!!!

One thing is that as your work picks up it is often hard to raise rates. When I went to a big heavy truck no one complained about the rates. I can tell how some customers feel about it. When I show up on a commercial job with mine it looks like I mean business and not like I crammed some stuff in the family truckster. Now this is somewhat related but I collected enough stuff that I dont have to take from the shop to go on the road, grinders, drills, sawzall, etc. The stuff for the truck stays on the truck and in the service biz having it pays off. I carry steel, bolts, pipe fittings, a lot of things that make it easy that I just couldnt when I was using small rigs, power pipe threader, jacks, chains, blocks, etc that just added up to a lot of weight. I was on a job a while back and the guy says, you wouldnt happen to have a set of door hinges for a repair,,, I did and he was impressed. Its things you dont always need but is handy when you do, on a small truck its a big decision to carry a 16# hammer or if you should have a couple hundred feet of weldeng lead extra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nuts and bolt bin.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	3717  

Last edited by Sberry; 04-17-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:17 PM
North West Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberry27
16# hammer
Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to AntiBling Send a message via MSN to AntiBling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickairmedic
Firestone is the industry leader in air suspension . What I was referin too as far as the kit was the original link Ron posted before he switched the link for the bags . compressor lines wires guage and switch . I would prolly go for the convoluted bags though like franz posted not the lighter weight ones posted by Ron . Pretty much any lowered vehicle you see that has an air bag suspension on it has firestone bags under it aand almost every Big Rig you see going down the road has multiple firestone bags under it even the cabs on alot of them have seperate bags under them too provide extra cushion for the driver

Rick
I agree with everything hes said. One thing that seems to be coming up again and again is weight issue here. One thing that I could see cutting down on weight for you is running a Engine Driven Compressor out of a semi and get a tank to mount in the bed. Saves weight on electric motor. I will be running a york compressor in my pickup I am bagging, and a lot of off road guys are starting to run them to run their air tools off of for trail fixes.

Also it wouldnt be tough to setup a couple valves and gauges for the bags.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Trust me here bling, York compressors aren't up to running air tools, unless you have one he11 of a lot of tank capacity on the rig. If you really want compressed air, find yourself a Bendix 7½ from a rebuilder or truck wrecker, and an air govenor. The Bendix will outperform the York by a factor of 10 to 1. It will deliver air at idle, and it's self lubricated.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to storts
Default S Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sberry27
One thing is that as your work picks up it is often hard to raise rates. When I went to a big heavy truck no one complained about the rates. I can tell how some customers feel about it. When I show up on a commercial job with mine it looks like I mean business and not like I crammed some stuff in the family truckster. Now this is somewhat related but I collected enough stuff that I dont have to take from the shop to go on the road, grinders, drills, sawzall, etc. The stuff for the truck stays on the truck and in the service biz having it pays off. I carry steel, bolts, pipe fittings, a lot of things that make it easy that I just couldnt when I was using small rigs, power pipe threader, jacks, chains, blocks, etc that just added up to a lot of weight. I was on a job a while back and the guy says, you wouldnt happen to have a set of door hinges for a repair,,, I did and he was impressed. Its things you dont always need but is handy when you do, on a small truck its a big decision to carry a 16# hammer or if you should have a couple hundred feet of weldeng lead extra.
Cary, Ive seen rigs that are comparable to your( very nice!!!!!) and then seen there welds, Its not always the rig, yes I agree with you that is impressive, and you fall into the "mechanics" catorgy, But ive seen rigs that make yours look stone age, and they owe the bank 100 grand on them, I use to make the bodys for them, Now thats a real fabricator?????????,,and they would say, well you have the overhead cranes to fab. it and a 300 ton brake,,,Then take a look at there welds,and they were working on the docks in ct,,Long story short, They did not last to long,I build a 6.5 ft allumiun body for a local for his toyota, Wish i took a pic.He set it up so nice and he was a real "mechanic"He had more work than he knew what to do with, But!!!!!! no buisness lincess, no real ein # and ins,But they liked his work, and worked for 25 bucks a hour less than the real Buisness's , So what does that tell you? Got Me Jack
Old 04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Grumpy Bastard

Cool Jeez....

Okay! You guys beat me up enough! I got a lead on a Ford F-700 (thanks Chad) expecting to pick it up later this week or weekend (got approval from SWMBO) so it should be a go.

Sooooo! Is that enough of a truck? (Y'all too damn picky!)

Short term I will be working out of the Dodge. So it may be for sale down the road.....

Later gators.....

"Prepare to defend yourselves."
-- Sergeant Major Basil L. Plumley, Ia Drang Valley