Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 12-28-2018, 11:14 AM
Director: Fish Seduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
A window glazer's tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
That was my thought too, Dan.

CRL's primary focus is, or at least was, products for glazer's and the glass market. We had a lot of their stuff from the late '70s, early '80s when my Dad was in that career. I've got a couple of those putty knives left in a drawer over there. They last forever and have similar discoloration. I suspect it was from the acids in a particular putty or window compound. No need to clean it up, just store it in the bucket until the next day. Most of that stuff doesn't ever harden up so over time it makes a purdy pattern.

The bend allows you to see what the hell you're doing, particularly if you're puttying the windows with them still installed rather than laid flat. It gets you enough clearance around the bottom plate and upper window sash so you're not dragging your knuckles all day. It shouldn't be overly sharp or used as a scraper. You want the edge clean and straight so it doesn't leave a deformity in your putty.

My favorite CRL tool is the point driver. I can't recall how many times I got my ass chewed out for shooting them all over the shop. They fly better and hurt more than staples

Wade's Custom Kydex