Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 05-13-2019, 05:34 PM
Boiler God

Default Harbor Freight #62323 Chipper/Shredder

At 9 am this morning, I bought a Harbor Freight gasoline powered chipper/shredder, model #62323, that has the 6-1/2hp Predator gasoline engine. I jammed it into the Equinox and took it home and assembled the unit (wheels and handles, filled it full of gas and oil, it started on the second pull.

While the engine is relatively quiet, the chipper/shredder part of the unit is quite noisy. I removed the clean out covers and check to see if the hammer blade assemblies were tight, they where, it seems very well made.

I’m very happy with it, the wife wished it produced a nice wood chip. She was expecting mulch style chips, there is a strange mix of saw dust, 6-8” long twigs and chunks about as big as my first thumb joint. It transformed a pile of Arbor Vidies branches the size of a full size Chevy van, into roughly 55 gallons of shredded wood scraps, the local town will gladly accept.

It seems to be rather cold blooded, after running it for roughly 45 minutes, I shut it off for about 2 minutes, to clean out a small clog in the outlet. I had to choke it to get it to restart. Flip on the choke, one quick pull, and it chugged to life, slow even puffs, then as you open the choke the rpms pick up, from the first chug to the idle rpm, roughly 5-8 seconds, then it runs perfectly.

I never thought I’d ever own a HF gas powered anything, but it really is surprising in both operation and build quality.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Sounds like a hammermill.

If so, you should be able to make a new finer screen for it.

I would try 3/8" perforated.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post

It seems to be rather cold blooded, after running it for roughly 45 minutes, I shut it off for about 2 minutes, to clean out a small clog in the outlet. I had to choke it to get it to restart. Flip on the choke, one quick pull, and it chugged to life, slow even puffs, then as you open the choke the rpms pick up, from the first chug to the idle rpm, roughly 5-8 seconds, then it runs perfectly.
I own only one Predator engine, the 11hp I put on Ol' Yaller to replace the Onan engine I finally gave up on maintaining.
It has to be choked every time I crank it, hot or cold, but has started & run very reliably. I have heard or read that this is common to the species.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 05-14-2019, 02:59 AM

I have a power washer with a Chinese Honda clone engine. It also needs choking to start each and every time. Without using the choke it just refuses to start.

I have never bothered stripping the carb to find out why it’s like this.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Elite Member

Sounds like it will do the job. And if it always needs the choke to start, so be it. As long as it starts.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Might not have that leetle passage in the carb that looks like
it is for "ram air".

FWIW it might have been removed for emissions.

Back to the OP, try shredding some paper, might prove to be the best security
shredder made (not stopping every 3 minutes to "cool down")
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
Might not have that leetle passage in the carb that looks like
it is for "ram air".

FWIW it might have been removed for emissions.

Back to the OP, try shredding some paper, might prove to be the best security
shredder made (not stopping every 3 minutes to "cool down")
Yep, You are right on the money, there is a fix for that problem and even though I know how to it just not worth the trouble but buying the Honda car to replace the clone carb with is not cost effective either.
Plus if you make it to oversized or wrong spot it will run too rich or just flood.

Plus you will find this issue in any of the economy brand power equipment
because of China cloned parts used. Homlight for one I have had three warrantied due to this problem figured its just something wrong with the batch of them but no its a normal issue but choke it once pull once and starts every time shut down and pull it still needs to be choked and will run but without chocking it I can pull and pull and might act like it will fire but not without that one time choke-n-pull...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus20 View Post
At 9 am this morning, I bought a Harbor Freight gasoline powered chipper/shredder, model #62323, that has the 6-1/2hp Predator gasoline engine. I jammed it into the Equinox and took it home and assembled the unit (wheels and handles, filled it full of gas and oil, it started on the second pull.

While the engine is relatively quiet, the chipper/shredder part of the unit is quite noisy. I removed the clean out covers and check to see if the hammer blade assemblies were tight, they where, it seems very well made.

I’m very happy with it, the wife wished it produced a nice wood chip. She was expecting mulch style chips, there is a strange mix of saw dust, 6-8” long twigs and chunks about as big as my first thumb joint. It transformed a pile of Arbor Vidies branches the size of a full size Chevy van, into roughly 55 gallons of shredded wood scraps, the local town will gladly accept.

I never thought I’d ever own a HF gas powered anything, but it really is surprising in both operation and build quality.
Jack, I said this before to lots of people Don't sell your self short of a good buy to save a lot of money.
There is a hell of a lot of good and well-made tools At HF you just have to know what to buy... and what not to buy from them...
What get me is I hear people talk smack about HF tools and then brag on norther tools as if they are so much more superior "NOT" same crap!
HF use to sell name brand tools as well but only a few and online-only thig

And because Northern still sells lots of the name brand equipment they still sell the same china made tools as well just branded with a different name and more of it with other branded unknown names. but yet still made in China at almost twice the cost.

So, in short, it does pay to shop around some of the china made tools and equipment are just as durable and strong and dependable as some of the So call name brand... but we all know there is tons of total junk crap too.

I have a top-notch chipper shredder and that SOB has never worked right since day one and has been sitting for more than five years because I just got sick and tired of taking it in for warranty repair and tired of having to try to keep it running when I got it back so now it sits in the pile of not sure what to do with... it's in the keep or junk pile.

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!