Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 07-11-2018, 05:36 PM
Da Chief

Default long tail mud motor with reverse?

Now that the Isuzu tow rig is winding down to the last 50 hours or so, I thought I'd dust off another back burner project.

I've been exposed to a long shaft (Thai style) mud / marsh, surface piercing drive. Now I want one. There is a semi local manufacturer that will sell me parts or a complete kit. (As I have said many times before "why would I buy one for a couple of hundred bucks when I can build one for a grand or so" Finally, a project to use up some of the horizontal shaft, small engines, stacked 3 deep under a bench in the back shop.

Silly me, I want one with reverse.

Just a little aircooled something to push my little 10 foot , V hull StarCraft aluminum boat around the flats and big ponds. The little starcraft only draws about 4 inches of water, with my lard ass in it. I've been getting by with an electric trolling motor and oars, but I want to step up. (rowing against the tide, in the inter coastal waterway, to get home, in the dark/bugs is less and less fun.)

I was thinking about a F-N-R gearbox like in a chink 4 wheeler or perhaps step up to a planetary gearbox.

I'm sure somebody here has some interesting thoughts or perhaps even a source of said gearbox.

OK, pencil's up go for it. Let the games begin...

Thanks, RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Made From Scratch

Any chance you could get ahold of a golf cart motor and use it as a direct drive still?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Da Chief

I could, but after riding in a john boat with a 6 HP surface piercing drive, I'm done with batteries and electric motors around saltwater. I can easily pole around on the flats and never worry about running aground on the oyster bars and mud banks. I've wrecked a half dozen props on my Great white trolling motor, and they ain't cheap. it's surface drive for me...

RED

What I really need to know is, WHEN DOES THE SHOOTING START?
Old 07-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Stuff, Just stuff

Red

Fast forward to about the 45 min mark on this video here See if that is something you want. Looks like it has a go cart belt transmission and a forward and reverse setup. You might have to go a video before or after to find out where he got the parts. It is not in a surface boat like you are talking about though. Just an option.

Scott
Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM
I can dig it

Looks like Scott had a similar thought, I was going to say take a look at the gear box they use for Argo off road vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
I could, but after riding in a john boat with a 6 HP surface piercing drive, I'm done with batteries and electric motors around saltwater. I can easily pole around on the flats and never worry about running aground on the oyster bars and mud banks. I've wrecked a half dozen props on my Great white trolling motor, and they ain't cheap. it's surface drive for me...

RED
I hadn't thought about the added battery weight, I was just figuring that having a 2 stroke that ran forwards and backwards would make a pretty easy solution. I don't do any boating though, no experience with what you're trying to put together.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:15 PM
I can dig it

Garden tractor transaxle maybe with some modifications?

Trying to think of already available items with reverse that could be adapted.

Anything out there that already exists similar to what you’re thinking of?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:03 AM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED caddy View Post
...As I have said many times before "why would I buy one for a couple of hundred bucks when I can build one for a grand or so"...
You have just summed up the attitude of the vast majority of the people here on SFT...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

I have had the urge to build one too,but i'm thinking a 3 cylinder Geo engine maybe.
No little single for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 AM

Red, would a hydraulic drive be too complicated/ expensive?

Easy to have forward and reverse that way.

Rob