Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Gadget Girl

Default How To forge a Non Welded Ring (then make into a trivet)..

Video How to on making a non welded ring..

https://youtu.be/N5UoyaGdYWI

Please subscribe and like.. Or not and please let me know what you think, one way or the other.. Feedback is always welcomed and encouraged..

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM
Standard of Excellence

Nice work as usual. I still don't know how you tolerate the use of those heavy hammers though.
Being the fabrismith that I am, I just cut the rings out on the cnc and hammer them.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Nice work as usual. I still don't know how you tolerate the use of those heavy hammers though.
Being the fabrismith that I am, I just cut the rings out on the cnc and hammer them.
Well, as for the hammers.. I'm finally getting back in shape.. Swinging the 4lbs cross nearly 90% of the time now..

The 6lbs was my go to hammer for years (still not ready for the 6lbs yet).. it's just a matter of getting back in shape..

Funny how both my shoulders, elbows and wrists were sore after I quite smithing and now everything feels better than they have in the past 10 years..

my elbows have started feeling better as well with the marital arts training again..

I think it sometimes has to do with starting this game at such a young age.. Things just adapt and then it becomes normal place.. Turning 50 this year and haven't felt this good since I was 30..

On cutting the rings out. For sure.. If you have the equipment.. But for the newbs or even the long time people who have never done it. It will come in handy to know when the world falls apart and we are back to living in holes in the ground..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Old 02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Standard of Excellence

Good point about the world falling apart. I would still be able to work without power, but it sure takes longer.
Funny, I am about to hit 50 and I feel the opposite. I have been going and getting my ass kicked by a 5' nothing blonde chick at a yoga class trying to get the old useage of my body back.
I did those upset handles and backing plates last year. IIRC they were about 2500 strokes from raw materials to finished product. It took weeks to recover.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 PM
I can dig it

Fairly certain I won’t be challenging Jen to an arm wrestle!! Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 02-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Good point about the world falling apart. I would still be able to work without power, but it sure takes longer.
Funny, I am about to hit 50 and I feel the opposite. I have been going and getting my ass kicked by a 5' nothing blonde chick at a yoga class trying to get the old useage of my body back.
I did those upset handles and backing plates last year. IIRC they were about 2500 strokes from raw materials to finished product. It took weeks to recover.
Yoga would leave me lame for months.. For me the loosening of the joints especially the back makes Yoga a must miss.. It leads to intolerable pain for me.. As does any of those gravity chairs..

Best therapy for me is doing the things I was accustom to as a child up to my 20's..

What I find is taking time off from any of it is the enemy.. I really do best if I swing the hammer at least every other day.. And for flexibility Dynamic stretching and Bo work is best..

After the back surgery I still have some partial paralysis in my left leg and it really needs tough workouts to keep it flexible.. Not tough like weight lifting but tough as in range of movement and keeping the hips flexible.. Snow shoeing or skip walking is a great way to keep it in check.

First 6months of starting to blacksmith again had my back in knots. Constant pain for the 6 months. Now its not a problem even forging for demo's which can be 8 or 10 hrs..

For hammering I start out with a 1.5lbs or 2lbs hammer and work my way up.. it took about 6 months to work up to the 3lbs and then another 6 months to the 4lbs.. If I were to be in the shop daily it would happen a little faster but I am in no rush to push it.. I find now that it really does take working every other day to keep in ok shape.. Taking off a week and it takes me 3 or 4 days to get it all back..

Sadly I am not nearly as talented as a blacksmith as I was back in 2004 which was when I quit.. I just saw the last thing I made which was a grapnel hook and it was so nice with such quality work..

I'll take a picture of it next time I see it.. It was made for one of the students.. We used it this past weekend..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"