Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 08-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Post Fiend

Wink HF 91110 120V 80A DC Inverter Welder, "display model", was $25 too much?

HF 91110 120V 80A DC Inverter Welder, "display model", was $25 too much?

Stopped in the local Harbor Fright to catch the tail end of their clearance sale on open box and display units. Sunday "discount" was 75% off. This guy was sitting on the table but I ignored him at first...

I initially picked up a pump sprayer new "damaged box" marked at $16, my price $4! LINK The manager then coerced me into buying the welder... It WAS missing the ground clamp and carry strap... It is no longer a "stock" item and doesn't even show up on the website anymore...

Got the HF80 back to the shop and broke out the Thermal Arc TA95 DC TIG/Stick bin and "borrowed" the ground clamp from it. Both are mini-Dinse connectors. I took a pic of the two side by side to show dimensional differences. A welding blanket usually sits on top of the welder and accessories all tidy like.

I have extra mini-Dinse connectors and was thinking of pirating the black lead off the B&D jump box/compressor/12V power outlet somebody gave me. At 3'-4', it might just be a little bit too short... The battery in the jump box is totally pooched and at $40ish to replace, condemns this unit to the junk pile. Too bad because the compressor works when hooked to a good battery. The "charger" for the jump box is a simple 12v brick...

I tested the HF80 with a 3/32" rod of unknown flavor. I think it is 6013 but might be 6011. I'm shy on steel "scraps" so this test piece (by other welders) would have to do. Took a little bit to dial it in but I finally got a decent bead at 75A, (-) ground. Welds are acceptable with a clear HAZ on the inside.

The HF80 is now sitting next to the TA95 in the bin. If I find I have a use for it, I'll probably sacrifice a pair of jumper cables to make a work piece lead for it.

PS: there was a HF (Chicago Electric) plasma cutter sitting on the clearance table way in the back. I think it is there because someone cut off the torch! I may call the manager tomorrow and see if I can get it for a Jackson or thereabouts. He was very eager to get rid of ALL the open box/display items. At 75% off, it was still up around $70ish, and a Chinese replacement torch is anywhere from $30 (3') to $100 (33') on Debay.

PPS: also shown is a freebie flashlight (with coupon). It is getting so I can't turn my head in the shop and not see one sticking to something metal like a tool box or press...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80a.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	151880   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80b.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	151881   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80c.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	151882   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80d.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	151883   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80e.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	151884  

TA Arcmaster 185 w/tig/stick kit
MillerMatic 252 w/3rd gen 30A
MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart (Miller) 625 plasma
Hobart 250ci plasma
Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
Lincoln Patriot autodark (freebie)
45ACP Black Talons for those stubborn jobs...

Last edited by mccutter; 08-18-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 AM
SFT Historian

I picked up one on CraigsList a while back new in the box for $50.00, I like it.
the one thing it trips my GIF so I need a non GIF outlet.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:03 AM

I think you did really well on that purchase even though it was missing a couple of items.

Victor Torch Set With Meco Regs
Lincoln Weld Pak 100
Giant Tech Arc 200
Miller Roughneck2E
Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
I picked up one on CraigsList a while back new in the box for $50.00, I like it.
the one thing it trips my GIF so I need a non GIF outlet.
Maybe you should find out why it trips the breaker. :-) and fix it .
...lew...
Old 08-19-2019, 04:52 PM
Gold Star Dad

My son had that HF welder when they were cheap. Later sold it to my bro-in-law for about $90. He likes it.

Later bought a barely used one off CL, with an auto-dark helmet and a nice Craftsman soft bag. I sold the helmet, so I may have $50-$60 in the welder. Figured it may come in handy some day. $25 is a steal.

I did get a screaming deal on a Thermal Arc TA95 and also a Clarke MIG. Sold them both for a good profit and kept a CO2 cylinder and a spare set of leads for the 95.

Now we have a TA 161STL (~ $600) and a Firepower TIG 161S (~350.), both close-outs. The STL has lift arc and a gas valve and a dig control. The S doesn't have a valve. Both came with regulator and TIG torch and seem to have power factor correction. Hefty little inverter units - made by Shanghai WTL, I believe.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
Maybe you should find out why it trips the breaker. :-) and fix it .
...lew...
It's a high probability that the GFI I have was made before Inverters got popular and it cant deal with high frequency spikes that are inherent with inverters. being cheap I don't want to spend $35 for a 20 amp panel mount GFI. just for the welder.
other than the welder the GFI works on everything else.
I figured I would mention it and see if any one else notes the same issue.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:57 AM
Post Fiend

Arrow Epilogue Plus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
PS: there was a HF (Chicago Electric) plasma cutter sitting on the clearance table way in the back. I think it is there because someone cut off the torch! I may call the manager tomorrow and see if I can get it for a Jackson or thereabouts. He was very eager to get rid of ALL the open box/display items. At 75% off, it was still up around $70ish, and a Chinese replacement torch is anywhere from $30 (3') to $100 (33') on Debay.
UPDATE: Went in and talked to the manager about this 240v plasma cutter. He was unaware the torch had been cut off. I also noted the power cable had also been cut off at the machine. After this tidbit, he determined he had to "send the machine back" to HF in CamarilloBrillo. Definitely a "by the book" guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccutter View Post
The HF80 is now sitting next to the TA95 in the bin. If I find I have a use for it, I'll probably sacrifice a pair of jumper cables to make a work piece lead for it.
I determined the HF80 was surplus. The TA95 can do anything the HF can do, only better--namely DC TIG. To easily sell it, I had to get it its own workpiece cable. In looking in my bins of "welding" stuff, I found the cable shown. A little birdy in my brain told me I had one. It may have been pirated from a jumper cable but I forget. It will do...

The little birdy also told me I had the Dinse 25 male connector shown. These were given to me by our resident monotreme Jack, at LEAST 10 years ago! He gave me 3 or 4--I can't remember. Thanks again, Jack! I've been using them up over the years... One I know is sitting at the end of a #9V torch and another is now sitting at the end of the HF 80 workpiece lead.

Next pic shows necessary tools for cable lug manipulation. Lugs of various cable and hole sizes bought from my local Ace Hardware. My "go-to" Ace store has been around for nearly 30yrs. One of the first things I did when moving here was to establish a "house" charge with them. Go in, pick up what you need, check out, pay the bill when it comes in at the beginning of the month. There is also a discount involved so that helps. The owner is a neighbor down the street. This store WILL have what you are looking for unlike some of the newer franchised Ace stores.

The Klein cutters were bought at Lowe's (I think) several years ago on special for $20. There is an Indy or F1 car in the package as well. Made in US, I've only used the cable "loppers" for welding cable. The side cutters are unused. This set lives with the welding cable tools/parts.

Pic 3 shows the HF80 in its "for sale" pose. $80 would make me happy considering the new HF replacement (same specs) is $160. As many of us would, I would gladly GIVE or loan it to a worthy soul who would capitalize on it.

About pic 4: While putting the Dinse end on the "jumper cable", I took the opportunity to add lugs and create a 1/2" lug to Dinse 50F adapter and put a lug on the end of the new 200A stinger from the TA185. This will be used to test a TIG 300/300 that just pulled into the stable. More on that later... I had previously cut the end off the stinger to make the Dinse 50M to Dinse 25F adapter shown. Didn't have a Dinse 50M connector in stock at the time. Also put shrink wrap around the TIG 300 workpiece lead lug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hfcab1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	151921   Click image for larger version

Name:	hfcab2.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	151922   Click image for larger version

Name:	hfcab3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	151923   Click image for larger version

Name:	shrink1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	151924  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 08-24-2019 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Post Fiend

Wink Eat Wheel Teeg! (as said by Doug M.)

A member here inquired about purchasing and wondered if the HF80 would DC TIG so I broke out the Weldcraft 9V and determined it would! At which point I took it off the market.

I think that is 14ga, 1/16 rod at about 70A. Seemed to do pretty good scratch starting. I did notice if the torch or stinger "ground out" when welding, the HF80 has a mild "squeak" to it.

One issue was the workpiece clamp started getting hot. So I flipped the clamp, drilled a hole and used a lug with nut and bolt.

Another issue was that the HF $21 open box gauge set did not come with a CGA580 hose adapter... So I pulled a Smiths from another cylinder.

Weighs just over 9lbs with cables.

Inside appears to be well constructed. The caps are well-sized.

Keep in mind this is a "close-out" but if you can find one in the $50-$75 range with all the cables, you will be doing good.

PS: note that the polarity is "reversed" for TIG. ie: (-) to torch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nocga580.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	152184   Click image for larger version

Name:	dctiggin.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	152185   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	152186   Click image for larger version

Name:	9lbs.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	152187   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf80in.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	152188  

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 09-12-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Post Fiend

Default Manuals...

Added a couple manuals below. The HF manual is fairly useless but the TA manual is much more useful, even for the HF.

I've shown a couple pics of the inside of the TA for comparison. I don't know if the TIG/Stick switch even does anything...

PS: These pics were taken when I bought the TA95. I detailed it soon after--looks a lot better and newer...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ta3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	152191   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	152192  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 91110.pdf (735.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf 95s_thermal_arc.pdf (2.25 MB, 4 views)

MM140 w/o AS, w/CO2
Hobart 250ci plasma

Last edited by mccutter; 09-12-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for the review. Might have to start looking for one on a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden