Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:03 PM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default Another new project............truck bed extender

I have been changing out the 29 year old trim in the house a couple of pieces at a time for a while now, but since selling my boat, I can afford to buy a larger quantity at a time now.
One thing leads to another; one or two pieces of 14' long trim I can hang off the side of the box and run the other end through my truck mirror brackets, but that won't work for larger quantities.
My creative juices got flowing a bit more quickly after fabricobbling the bird feeder stand from a previous post, so I cast a critical eye on the ju.............er, resource pile, and decided I had pretty much everything needed, minus a couple of acquisitions I picked up today.
I had various lengths of 2" square tube, what was left of a trailer hitch from a long gone car, and today I picked up a hitch receiver and a pin, then got busy.
First pic, resources on hand gathered up into one pile yesterday.
Second pic, today's purchases added to the pile.
Third pic, material and hot glue gun are cooperating with each other. Pieces are actually on the same plane............hot damn!!
Fourth pic,receiver tacked up after squaring to tubing. I wanted this thing to be easily stored away neatly when not needed, and that is infinitely easier when it can be broken down into sub assemblies.
Fifth pic, decent looking weld considering how little welding I have done for quite some time. I think I'll just paint that one and not bother grinding it down.
I think the earth must have shifted or something. Every one of these pictures is right side up on my computer, but all are shifted 90 degrees counter clockwise when posting. Something to do with taking pictures on my Iphone???????????????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	150596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender2.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	150597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	150598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender6.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	150599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender8.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	150600  

__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default

A couple more pics. Everything is welded out, only took about two hours or a little better to cut everything square, fit up, cut to length, cut some more and try it out for real on the truck.
I think the old trailer hitch will work quite well; has built in tie down points on it, and together with the rest of the pieces, looks better as an assembly than it did taking up space on the rack by the garden shed.
First pic, not overly pretty, but it ain't going anywhere.
Second pic, trial run after adjusting cross piece height. That will work out all right.
Once again pictures are rotated. Frustrating, but clueless as how to fix them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender9.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	150601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender11.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	150602  
__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2019, 12:38 AM
cutter's Avatar
cutter cutter is offline
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lubbock,Texas
Posts: 32,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
Something to do with taking pictures on my Iphone???????????????
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
Once again pictures are rotated. Frustrating, but clueless as how to fix them.
I still say the best way to do it is just break down & use Irfanview on your desktop.
Other than that, you have to first remember how you oriented the phone for these pictures. If the shutter button was on your right then try rotating the phone 180° to put the button the left. Take a couple of pictures that way & try posting them here to see how they turn out.

Secondly, I have recently learned that there is a utility on your iPhone that allows you rotate the picture before you save them. Using the pictures stored in the camera utility, open a picture and click "edit". On my phone there is a little icon next to "Cancel" (lower left) that is shaped like a box with overlapping corners and a pair of counterclockwise arrows. That is your rotation utility. Tap it. A little white box with a single counterclockwise arrow will appear above "Cancel". Tap it once to rotate 90° left; tap it again and your picture should appear upside down. Click "Done". Play with that a little bit & it gets really easy. The picture will appear upside down on your phone but should post correctly here. See my sample attachments.
That's quite a bit of trouble but until you figure out how to reset your phone camera orientation it might come in handy.

Metalwolf posted something that his computer guy advise him to do a couple of months ago and I follow his instructions to set my phone orientation. For the life of me I cannot remember how to get to the screen to do it again or to post it. It's pretty embarrassing because it was dead simple to do. Maybe he'll see this and re-post the instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	150610   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	150611  
__________________
cutter
Housekeeping Staff: the Gatekeeper
Director of Policy, Syntax and Grammar (by appointment)

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:48 AM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Vernia,Tx.
Posts: 3,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramd View Post
I have been changing out the 29 year old trim in the house a couple of pieces at a time for a while now, but since selling my boat, I can afford to buy a larger quantity at a time now.
One thing leads to another; one or two pieces of 14' long trim I can hang off the side of the box and run the other end through my truck mirror brackets, but that won't work for larger quantities.
My creative juices got flowing a bit more quickly after fabricobbling the bird feeder stand from a previous post, so I cast a critical eye on the ju.............er, resource pile, and decided I had pretty much everything needed, minus a couple of acquisitions I picked up today.
I had various lengths of 2" square tube, what was left of a trailer hitch from a long gone car, and today I picked up a hitch receiver and a pin, then got busy.
First pic, resources on hand gathered up into one pile yesterday.
Second pic, today's purchases added to the pile.
Third pic, material and hot glue gun are cooperating with each other. Pieces are actually on the same plane............hot damn!!
Fourth pic,receiver tacked up after squaring to tubing. I wanted this thing to be easily stored away neatly when not needed, and that is infinitely easier when it can be broken down into sub assemblies.
Fifth pic, decent looking weld considering how little welding I have done for quite some time. I think I'll just paint that one and not bother grinding it down.
I think the earth must have shifted or something. Every one of these pictures is right side up on my computer, but all are shifted 90 degrees counter clockwise when posting. Something to do with taking pictures on my Iphone???????????????

Ya know here in Texas those are Illegal in some cities like San Antonio and surrounding townships... the popo love to see trucks with lumber racks and bed extenders in use of course... the city of San Antonio deemed them dangerous. mainly because some dumbasses figure they have a rack and don't need to still tie the load down. I had a rack on my 16ft welding trailer to tie, r-panel down on got tired of being pulled over because of it when I did use it. I knew not to go into SA with it but later the outlying areas of SA adopted the law/regulations.
Glad to see the rest of the world has not taken something else away from a guy that can assist in carrying his materials to and fro...

I assume you are like me and others who know to tie the material down as I don't want to cause an accident let alone have to lose it or load it a second time from in the middle of the highway somewhere

It just was not good enough to give citations to knuckleheaded people who lost material or caused an ass-dent due to an individual idiot who prolly doesn't need to be on public roads, to begin with, if he/she has no common sense so the city decided to punish all instead of the individuals...
but yet you can still buy them "truck bed extender" in some of the hardware stores in San Antonio

Oh, by the way. The, extender looks good and well made too.
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:59 AM
MetalWolf's Avatar
MetalWolf MetalWolf is offline
Lubrication Consultant
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Vernia,Tx.
Posts: 3,543
Default

Here ya go maybe this will help
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	150613Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	150614Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	150615Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender6.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	150616Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed extender8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	150617
__________________
MetalWolf, AKA---- Metallic Shapeshifter-----

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:05 AM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Yes.

I still say the best way to do it is just break down & use Irfanview on your desktop.
Other than that, you have to first remember how you oriented the phone for these pictures. If the shutter button was on your right then try rotating the phone 180° to put the button the left. Take a couple of pictures that way & try posting them here to see how they turn out.

Secondly, I have recently learned that there is a utility on your iPhone that allows you rotate the picture before you save them. Using the pictures stored in the camera utility, open a picture and click "edit". On my phone there is a little icon next to "Cancel" (lower left) that is shaped like a box with overlapping corners and a pair of counterclockwise arrows. That is your rotation utility. Tap it. A little white box with a single counterclockwise arrow will appear above "Cancel". Tap it once to rotate 90° left; tap it again and your picture should appear upside down. Click "Done". Play with that a little bit & it gets really easy. The picture will appear upside down on your phone but should post correctly here. See my sample attachments.
That's quite a bit of trouble but until you figure out how to reset your phone camera orientation it might come in handy.

Metalwolf posted something that his computer guy advise him to do a couple of months ago and I follow his instructions to set my phone orientation. For the life of me I cannot remember how to get to the screen to do it again or to post it. It's pretty embarrassing because it was dead simple to do. Maybe he'll see this and re-post the instructions.
Thanks for the tutorial Rod. The frustrating part is that I had the damn phone vertical with the "shutter" button at the bottom. All the pictures I took on the phone are oriented properly in the phone itself (see attached photo of my phone screen), and all of them are orientated properly on my computer. It was only when I posted them that they were rotated 90 degrees to the left.
Some of the pictures I took of my previous project (bird feeder hangar) were taken with my Canon camera, were correctly orientated on my computer, but got rotated once posted. I sometimes think there are gremlins in electronic devices that occasionally wake up with a hangover and cause people grief out of sheer orneriness .
BTW, I just noticed the bird flying across my driveway in the background, not a bad picture for a phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	150618  
__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Thanks for rotating those, your efforts are much appreciated. Sure beats rotating the computer or trying to bend my stiff neck around enough to see them properly .
__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 AM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Ya know here in Texas those are Illegal in some cities like San Antonio and surrounding townships... the popo love to see trucks with lumber racks and bed extenders in use of course... the city of San Antonio deemed them dangerous. mainly because some dumbasses figure they have a rack and don't need to still tie the load down. I had a rack on my 16ft welding trailer to tie, r-panel down on got tired of being pulled over because of it when I did use it. I knew not to go into SA with it but later the outlying areas of SA adopted the law/regulations.
Glad to see the rest of the world has not taken something else away from a guy that can assist in carrying his materials to and fro...

I assume you are like me and others who know to tie the material down as I don't want to cause an accident let alone have to lose it or load it a second time from in the middle of the highway somewhere

It just was not good enough to give citations to knuckleheaded people who lost material or caused an ass-dent due to an individual idiot who prolly doesn't need to be on public roads, to begin with, if he/she has no common sense so the city decided to punish all instead of the individuals...
but yet you can still buy them "truck bed extender" in some of the hardware stores in San Antonio

Oh, by the way. The, extender looks good and well made too.
I used to haul pipe and digging/backfilling/pipe handling equipment, so tying something down securely is second nature to me any more. So is flagging overhanging material, unlike some of the twits I see on the road.
Thanks for the compliment; for some reason everything was going well yesterday, including being able to see the joints and not go wandering all over the place while welding them.
__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-02-2019, 11:32 AM
toprecycler's Avatar
toprecycler toprecycler is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petoskey, Michigan
Posts: 4,046
Default

Looks good. I have had that project on my to-do list for quite a while myself. One of these days....


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
__________________
Brian

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2019, 03:27 PM
cramd's Avatar
cramd cramd is offline
Drivin' Fool
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yorkton, Saskatchewan,Canada
Posts: 4,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprecycler View Post
Looks good. I have had that project on my to-do list for quite a while myself. One of these days....


Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk
Another one of those things that gets filed in a dark place with all the Round Tuits .
__________________
Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
Hobart Handler 190
Angle grinders,14" chop saw,Hobart medium duty O/A set
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"
____________________________________________

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Web Search:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.