Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM
I can dig it

ORF, anything 1/2”-3/4” and up I generally hand sharpen, usually on a belt sander. Under that it’s a bench grinder. One of the reasons I’m getting job offers in portable machining is because I can hand sharpen drills and cutting tools. When you’re 200 miles from a shop you make what you have work.

Personally I don’t find sharpening by hand difficult. Sometimes one edge is off a little, and the chips will show it, so a quick regrind and away you go.

In Jack’s case, I’m thinking that due to the volume of smaller holes, having multiples ready to go saves him time in the field. Some worksites ‘sparks’ are a no-no, yet drilling or machining are considered safe. So in those places, re sharpening may not be an option. Many of these portable machining companies I’ve been talking to have grinders etc setup inside a van or trailer to be able to resharpen as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12 AM
Drivin' Fool

I use a Drill Dr., exact model number I don't remember right now for my drill bits up to 1/2", and it does a decent enough job for my purposes.

I don't have many bits larger than 1/2"; really don't have any need for many, but the ones I do have I can sharpen on my bench grinder. The tool rest on the right hand wheel has a built in sharpening guide and I have had pretty good luck getting a good point on the few drill bits I have sharpened on it. The grinding wheel itself is so-so (original wheel on the grinder; some day it will get replaced with something of better quality), but suffices for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	150351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	150352  
Some air tools,fair selection of hand tools,and other "stuff"

The difference between genius and stupidity, is that genius has limits. Albert Einstein