Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Default Making a Machete

A few weeks ago I bought a machete to do battle with some weeds and an unbelievable amount of grape vines. I figured that for $54.00 the over expensive knife should have whacked a vine without loosing pieces of the cutting edge. If that was not bad enough, after getting frustrated that I lost most of the cutting edge in the most used section of the blade, and just smashing the vines, I hit a vine with the blade somewhat sideways and broke it.

I would like to make my own if someone would be kind enough to tell me what type of steel I could get that will hold an edge when I sharpen it, and not crack. I wonder if quality control had the day off when mine was made, and the metal used for the blade was way too brittle. I used to have a machete that I bought at an Army Navy Surplus that lasted for years, and had very minor nicks in the blade. Unfortunately that one walked off about the same time my brother in-law who was living with us was told to find a new residence. Any ideas for material would be greatly appreciated.......thanks.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Over the Top

Pat,
I've got to agree with you on the quality of machetes today. I made one years ago from a knife blade that they use to use to cut sheet rock (wall board) to size. That one also walked away. I've got one more piece that I hope to make a new one with one day. Don't know the material but it would hold a good edge.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Voice of Experience

Buy a 2" X 24" commercial hacksaw blade. Grind the untoothed edge to a utility blade angle and leave the teeth on it too for sawing. Makes a hell of a bush knife.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
redfarm

this may help

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopi...&hilit=machete
Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

A cheap route would be to use an Old leaf Spring.

You'll have a battle with Heat Treatment and such since technically you would need a Forge the size of the Blade but if you get the Spring for free it's worth a shot just for the fun of it and you could try a Po' man's heat treatment with an O/A set and a BBQ or Fire.

You'll have to anneal it first to be able to cut & shape it- build a big raging fire and put the Spring in it- gonna be tough as you really need to get it Red Hot and then just leave it in there until the fire goes out.

A Rose bud could work also.

Should be able to hammer it flat at this point and then cut out the Profile you want. Grind the cutting edge to your liking.

Then you'll need to heat it up again and quench it.

Then on to tempering.

Anvilfire probably has some directions.

or just buy a known quality Machete
Spoolmate 100
SO 2020 Bender
Miller 125c Plasma
TA 185
Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 PM
trust but verify

I just took a grinder to old lawn mower blades and welded a pipe handle to 'em.

Now I use Roundup instead so I don't have to work as hard.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Elite Member

I don’t know how it was made but I spent many hot hours with one made out a spring.
It still had the curve in it with a bit of a bend at the handle.
Sharpened on both edges.
You could use it in either hand and get close to the ground because of the curve.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Moe,

If the blade you mentioned is one of them used in something like an industrial power hacksaw, I know where to get some free ones. I will visit my brother. The power hacksaw he has looks like it came over on the Mayflower, and is a very heavy saw. It may be slow but I have seen that thing cut through some pretty thick materials.............thanks to all
Old 11-13-2010, 12:24 PM
Gold Star Dad

I understand that the Tramontina machetes from Brazil are good, though not terribly thick. They seem to sell for $5-$8.. I have one with a copper-wrapped wood handle but haven't put it to the test. I do have a couple Tramontina hammers that I like (not soft).

http://www.dpciwholesale.com/cart.ph...roduct_id=1207

I bet a genuine John Deere lawn mower blade would be good steel. Most any leaf spring should do.

I'll sell you a hand-forged Thai spring steel machete for $8. plus postage. The straight or concave-curved ones are good on brush, especially the latter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Machetes.jpg
Views:	3716
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	67987  
Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Voice of Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Moe,

If the blade you mentioned is one of them used in something like an industrial power hacksaw, I know where to get some free ones. I will visit my brother. The power hacksaw he has looks like it came over on the Mayflower, and is a very heavy saw. It may be slow but I have seen that thing cut through some pretty thick materials.............thanks to all

That's it Pat. Smaller blades make one hell of a butcher knife..and the teeth are very handy, especially on a brush blade..

I have a Stihl commercial weed eater that will take a 8" inch brush blade. Removes the sweat factor..

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will
be a nation gone under". ~Ronald Reagan

We should have picked our own cotton...

I love my women hot and my beer ice cold..