Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Blacksmithing & Forming

SFT Search:   

Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Elite Member

Clive I've spent alot of time at the cement works in the plant and the quarry on shutdowns and installing plant Its a long time since they had any of their own fitters all the work is contracted out now But they still have a huge fitters shop just no one to run the machines. I'm out on the Mangakahia road at Poroti
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 PM

nuf,
Last I heard they still had a shift fitting crew, one of the guys I did my apprenticeship with was still there, Kiri Edwards, he had a brother Pat Edwards who might still be there too.
We have the same thing here, BHP used to have a great machine shop and apprentice training centre, complete with it's own machine shop. Then the federal govt. stopped the compulsory training levy (1% of profit from memory) and they stopped their training school, cut back the apprentices to smaller numbers, although they have increased lately. then the accountants decided they didn't need the machineshop so that went too. Now it's contractors who do most of the work.
Clive
Old 05-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Has anyone tried the Kasenit that usmcpop mentioned, or the brand called Cheery Red. I am thinking about slightly case hardening a few things and was curious as to how well it works. Next thing will be trying to find either one. None of the LWS' in my area stock it. USMCPOP gave the ingredients or something close to ot for the Kasenit, but I don't know where I would beging to look for them chemicals...................thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Has anyone tried the Kasenit that usmcpop mentioned, or the brand called Cheery Red. I am thinking about slightly case hardening a few things and was curious as to how well it works. Next thing will be trying to find either one. None of the LWS' in my area stock it. USMCPOP gave the ingredients or something close to ot for the Kasenit, but I don't know where I would beging to look for them chemicals...................thanks
Pat,
From what I can remember from 40 odd years ago Kasenit did make a pin hard but it was not as good as a commercial job done in molten salts which penetrates much deeper. Depends on how much your part has to work.
Clive