Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 08-18-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
I'm not sure I understand which model 3 way I need for the run, safe, Jog switch.. they mention code 1, code 2, code 3 doesn't make much sense to me.
The rotary switch operators have different cams available to program what contacts are closed or opened based on which operator and operator position you select..it can be very confusing to specify and select the proper cam program to do what you want..Ive had luck in the past with stacking contact blocks,this is something you can do with the Allen Bradley 800T series product..they offer a contact block with both NO and NC so you can make it do what you want.Some switch operators are spring loaded from center to left or right position,some are maintained position..lots of options that go on for days
Old 08-18-2021, 06:59 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
That thing is really quiet unless you turned down the sound in the video.

Does it have a pipe cutter on it as well, or do you cut pipe on something else?

I'll see if I can help out on the switch. I am not familiar with codes on switches.

Scott
Has a built in lathe type cutoff with a chamfer tool bit mounted on the side of it.. So once it's cut you run it up a little further and it chamfers the pipe Od as well.

The pipe is carried in solid HSS wear plates and are lubricated by the cutting oil as the cutting and chamfering process is being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts View Post
Jen,

The button on the right you pressed to start the machine. Does the outer part around it have knurling? If so you may just need to turn the outer ring to the proper position to have your button to do what you want.

I went back and watched the video a few more times right before you press the button and it looks like the outer ring is knurled at the top, try turning the out ring around the button to see if it has 3 stopping positions. If so try them out and see what your start button does then.

Scott
Yes, it has knurling and it is 3 position.. It has run, safe, jog.

When in run mode IIRC only 1 contact (NO) closes when the button is pushed, in safe no plungers are touched but the ramp moves the (NC) to open middle position.

In JOG mode the ramp completely moves the (NC) plunger completely to the depressed aspect and now the plunger on the (NO) functions when the button is pushed

I will snap some shots..

Here is a video of it doing the cutoff and ream..

https://youtu.be/28IkLTpadS8

If I defend myself I am attacked.

My meaningless thoughts are showing me a meaningless world.

My attack thoughts are attacking my invulnerability.

I'd like to think of something smart, but I don't want to hurt myself.

My google+ page

DoALL 36"
Another Johnson model J Project
Lathe? Maybe..... 1958 SBL 13"
Yeti Esseti Aka running welder on 3phase.

https://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...860#post766860
Old 08-19-2021, 09:00 PM

Can you just flip the little HSS reamer bit 180 degrees so that the machine doesn't have to be reversed to make the ream cut.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:27 AM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Can you just flip the little HSS reamer bit 180 degrees so that the machine doesn't have to be reversed to make the ream cut.
Yes in theory. It's just a HSS steel 3/8"X3/8" so could use pretty much any lathe bit..

I did contact Oster and they want big dollars for a replacement.

I was thinking i'd order some high cobalt lathe bits as a replacement and have it sharpened on the down side like they have on the Oster unit..

What say's the group on 8% cobalt lathe bits? Or just M42 or M35.. Is there a preference.. I use 8% cobalt on my slitting/cutoff blade and it holds up well.

If you watch Osters video on the 784 you can see the chamber blade is upside down and it's just beveled.

https://youtu.be/ZQ521C84fXc?t=248

I'm not setup for accurate grinding of this type of thing and find the smooth accurate cut with no rounding of the cutting edge is important.. I have a tendency to round off the very edge some.. I suppose practice would make perfect..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Last edited by allessence; 08-20-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-20-2021, 02:35 PM
I can dig it

Quote:
Originally Posted by allessence View Post
Yes in theory. It's just a HSS steel 3/8"X3/8" so could use pretty much any lathe bit..

I did contact Oster and they want big dollars for a replacement.

I was thinking i'd order some high cobalt lathe bits as a replacement and have it sharpened on the down side like they have on the Oster unit..

What say's the group on 8% cobalt lathe bits? Or just M42 or M35.. Is there a preference.. I use 8% cobalt on my slitting/cutoff blade and it holds up well.

If you watch Osters video on the 784 you can see the chamber blade is upside down and it's just beveled.

https://youtu.be/ZQ521C84fXc?t=248

I'm not setup for accurate grinding of this type of thing and find the smooth accurate cut with no rounding of the cutting edge is important.. I have a tendency to round off the very edge some.. I suppose practice would make perfect..

If we can figure out what you need, and a way to get them back and forth, I can grind a batch up for you.

Any decent HSS would work, the higher cobalt would likely hold an edge longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2021, 03:20 PM
SFT Historian

M42 is 8%. I always get/look for M42 cutting tools.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Gadget Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywynd View Post
If we can figure out what you need, and a way to get them back and forth, I can grind a batch up for you.

Any decent HSS would work, the higher cobalt would likely hold an edge longer.
Thanks.. I did sharpen the 1 I have but think I messed it up.. I should have watched the Oster video more closely.. I think it will be to aggressive so dig in more than wanted..

I vaguely remember something about making the outside edge the nearly the same angle as the pipe so the cutter does not dig into the pipe without control but can run on the bottom of the cutting edge so it won't dig..

The HSS bits are inexpensive enough and I might have a few 3/8" on the shelf.. I usually get the 1/4" ones for the adapters..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWIZ View Post
M42 is 8%. I always get/look for M42 cutting tools.
I will keep that in mine as I have that slotter.. I can't keep up and what happens more then 15minutes ago is toast..

My google+ page

DoALL 36"

Old 08-23-2021, 10:06 AM
I can dig it

I’ll see if I can get on the laptop in the next day or two and look at the videos, and see what sort of form the tool should have.

Only home a couple days before we’re gone for the rest of this two weeks, headed out camping while the other half is on vacation, so it may not happen til after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk