Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Elite Member

Shoot.... it must of been rough farming in yawls youth.... all I can recall is Dad would piss mom off real good, Then quickly grab her by the ankles' and start cutting hay
Do a whole field in a very short time

Tried that once with my wife "I".... Almost didn't survive it...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 06-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Reaper binder
Not what the customer wants to see in a big crate of a box. Especially with the money spent.

I'm not particularly fond of spelling nazi's, and I refuse to capitalize or anyone particularly fond of defining moments. It is what it was.

Quote:
were the later ones all in one operation without a man to tie ?
The closest thing was the pulled cutter binder, but still a man sitting on the machine controlling a few things, but not doing the tying.

I remember one Gpa' saying what's the need to ride and have to control what's happening when my old one we just have a guy wrap without having to control the cutting.

I do see less loss due to handling if done by hand, which when your farming to make every seed count, well..............

Even by today's standards with fancy combines, there is enough loss of seed with that operation that you have a full crop growth (second crop) just by reflooding the field from the seed loss of a $200,000 dollar machine.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 06-15-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Sorry about the spelling nudge. Guess ya led a sheltered life. Not had your door handle greased. Never had the brakes backed off. Etc. We call it busting balls around here If folks don't like ya, they don't even talk to ya, let alone tease ya. From here on out, I'll treat your posts with more gravitas. Take care.

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 06-16-2018, 12:40 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/repose

Unless, of course, yer so fed up with it, yer gonna bury it after due ceremony

Good Gawd, a spelling Nazi
Yeah, I figured he was imagining how to lay it on it's side.
He doesn't know how to spell penetrating oil either.
But that's just between us "nazis".

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking
Old 06-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
If folks don't like ya,
and I you.

The choice of word was indeed purposed due to most of the cutter removed/killed/buried, removed and scrapped to my pile. I've had too many folk want to purchase this thing with neither/none of us truly knowing what is inside any of the boxes. Selling it would only make for bad feelings, more so on mine.

No hard feelings here Sam.....although there is a difference in some instances. I was raised country, about 15 or so before I saw a container of milk in a store. Probably first trip to a store, that's about as country as you can get for my generation. I'm surprised I ever passed any English courses ever. My first paying job outside what I got off the farm was stocking and bagging groceries 18 or so miles from the house. To and from on a bicycle. I was truly amazed at what could be packaged and bought off the shelf. Truly amazed. I've gotten over that since though.

Um, I possibly need to work on the use of smilies more often. lol

About the project, my first thoughts and wants was for the cutter to resemble what's now offered in a 3pt, having the down angles and up cutting angles possible.

After talking with the new friend this morning and looking at some of his creations, my need for a sickle cutter of that ability is less now than before.

I could make the cutting platform have the ability to raise and lower on one end with the other keeping alignment somewhat with the pto driven end.

Mr. Eccentric has a boom mower on his SA that 3pts and levers up and down on the right side of the tractor. The boom rises to 6' and lowers 5' below the tire to ground level. On the outboard end of the boom is a 3 blade mowing deck and 18hp twin Briggs w/knuckle drive shaft and offset pulleys to the deck. He's able to flip the deck to 90°to the ground for hedge trimming, blades o.b., and 45° i.b. to the tractor for clipping/mowing his side of a ditch etc or either side to mow.

As the twin boom, on the horizontal side by side also extends to a worthy 12' and a bit, with when sucked in allowing mowing just outside of his rear wheel, allows him to mow next to the outside of his fence while the tractor is moving on his lane/side on the country road. His counter balance on the l/h side of the boom self adjusts as the stinger/mower is moved out or in.

Very trick use of two hand winches, pulleys, 4blt block and two bolt block bearings and springs.

This morning he asked me about a post he saw for attachments on Farmalls here in La. One armed FEL's in Indian Bayou. Surprising question until he told me he was/still but not active member of Welding Web and a guest all the time on SFT but never joined. Said he quit forums after his disgust with some member called Franz on several forums. lol

I mentioned it was my posts he was talking about and invited him to join SFT, but I really doubt that will happen. He's about as good as gold with his insights and abilities. His parting shot was whether or not I got the S/B 13x60 up and running and then opened a door and showed me his fully restored better than new s/b13. I wish mine was as well setup for tooling and look as his.

The last piece of equipment I spotted was his twin side by side Farmall SA's, two engines sharing two trans missions and gears, running duals on the rear. You sit in the middle of two engines etc, twin pto's and TC units. It's a beast of a machine considering the hp of each engine. He pulls a 12' disc with it. Awesome self-engineering. Said he saw something in P'mechanics years ago and put his together by memory and trial and error.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 06-16-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:49 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
But that's just between us "nazis"
But your still a lovable 'ahole'. lol

Even the worst could agree on that one.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Blast this!

Sometimes I think of ee cummings ,Punctuation and capitalization are forgotten .