Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Dman033189
Default Craigslist Weldanpower

Well I was browsing online tonight and stumbled upon a weldanpower that is like new. The only thing that concerns me is that it doesnt appear to have the frame that goes around the engine, does anybody know if thats a big deal? Also Im not sure on the price he seems like he will come down a little bit but im not sure. I guess i should also ask if these units are decent? I dont really need it, but there has been times that it would be handy to have around for a quick repair here and there. I have a generator about the same size so I could probably sell that to save myself alittle bit of money. Thanks, Don

http://lansing.craigslist.org/tls/1633253522.html

BTW I sent him an email asking if he knew anything about the frame and this was his response:
Quote:
Man, you sure saw this ad quick...Don't have much info for you on this one, as it was among some items I purchased privately from someone who needed some cash, and I try not to dwell on any individ. item too much in the course of my inspections-I could see that it had little use, and I checked the oil which was on full & pretty clean. There was no gas in the tank as they ran it dry for winter (good idea) and it was a very cold day so I just bought it and loaded it up, but we can throw some gas in it and fire it up here at my place if you like. As I mentioned in the listing, it only has 37 hrs of use on it. I've got 3 generators & don't know how to weld, so it's for sale.
Clint.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Sultan of Scrounge

A frame could be easily fabricated it seems to me
Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 PM

If it was locked up on a jobsite, about the only place for that would be the frame... which might still be there.

I can't think of too many other reasonable explanations as to why the cage is missing.

It could be hot. Might be a good idea to run the serial numbers through the local cop shop.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Dman033189

haha I never even thought about it being stolen. Well he has sent me three emails today and they dont seem to make the most sense so it might just be stolen. I think I will let it pass for now, if its still available then I might make an offer who knows.

Quote:
Don, I cked out the "roll cage" you were referring to at the brochure website, & I'll call the people to see if they know of its' whereabouts & get back to you. If not, I'm sure one would be avail. as a replacement part from Lincoln-maybe I'll but a call into them too.
Clint.
Quote:
Here's the scoop...apparently, the cage was removed for space/usage reasons & then left behind in a move. MSC Industrial Supply Co. shows stocking a 2 Wheel Undercarriage Kit (part#K882-2) for $143.00 as well as a Welding Accesory Kit (& the Unit itself, which is priced at $2,300.00). I have their website address & toll free phone no. which is 1-800-645-7270.
Clint.
Quote:
Just spoke with Lincoln Elect. Tech. support/parts...they have a frame in stock for $75.00 & I think I'll go ahead & buy it...I Figure it will make the unit more marketable, so if your interested, it'll come with a new cage.
Clint.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Chairman of the Headboard

My instinct is also to steer away from it since the guy selling it openly admitted that he got it from 'someone who needed some cash'. In other words the seller knows nothing about it other than what he paid for it and how much profit he seeks to make. I'd just venture a guess and say there is better than a 50/50 chance the thing is stolen since it's lacking a part that wouldn't normally be removed. I'm not quite buying into the space saving excuse.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
That HURT!

I'm not saying it's not hot, it may very well be, but I have seen a service body truck with a machine like that mounted into one of the compartments on the truck and they had to take it out of the cage to make it fit.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Project Phoenix

If you were serious about buying it, check the S/N with lincoln, maybe they provide the same service as Miller.

Miller will tag the S/N as stolen for the owner so when ever it hits one of their service centers it shows in the computer.

Millermatic 200 w/ SKP-35 Spot Pulse Weld Panel, Tweco MIG-GUN #2, running ER70S-6 .035 wire on CO2, Spoolmatic 1 Spool Gun
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tigamajig79
Default that looks like the "a/c only" model

it looks like the same type that i've used before....dry conditions only.if the air is damp....slightly humid,rainy or foggy...changing an electrode will light YOU up, ... i got hit with 50v x 100 amps.....it rattles your brain.and you can't TIG with it....or weld long duty cycles(longer than 15 min. continuous)