Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 11-17-2020, 01:12 AM

Default Belt Drive vs Chain and Sprocket vs Gears

Which is best for what use and why?

When I see a chain and sprocket on a motorcycle I don't understand why that's used instead of a belt drive or some kind of gear and shaft assembly.

Or another example: most industrial grinders have a gearbox, why not use a chain and sprocket?

I'm really an expert engineer, just testing you guys of course.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:51 AM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by staybusy View Post

When I see a chain and sprocket on a motorcycle I don't understand why that's used instead of a belt drive or some kind of gear and shaft assembly.

Or another example: most industrial grinders have a gearbox, why not use a chain and sprocket?

Did we ask you for a test ?

Try cracking a book.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Elite Member

Well I’m not an expert engineer but in the case for a motorcycle I suspect packaging issue is one reason for a chain. Moreover a sprocket on the rear wheel is much lighter than a gear case and shaft. This reduced unsprung weight and lowering of CG I imagine has a significant affect on the handling of a bike.

It started hitting the fan in the 1950's https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnNDkHb0MU

A technologically advanced society would teach their children how to start a fire by rubbing two sticks together before teaching them how to use a lighter.

If you are not having fun then you are doing it wrong.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Belts do not work well below 500 rpm.
Roller chains and gears do.
Speed reduction in a small package is hard to do with belts/chains compared to gears.
And yeah, threepiece you are right about unsprung weight

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-17-2020, 10:21 AM
SFT Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by staybusy View Post

AS for motorcycles they have used all three.
Chain... there could be a geometry issue where the swing-arm pivots and the drive sprocket... so more slack maybe required

As for drive shaft...... some one told me that the rear gear tries to climb and pulls the rider down on acceleration .... not that great if racing.

(cog/timing) belts require precise alignment or you wear the sprockets.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:48 AM
Elite Member

Someone should have told BMW years ago the gears and drive shaft can't be used on a motorcycle . :-) They just went ahead and did it anyway.
...lew...
Old 11-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Roving Reporter

I had 3 motorcycles over the years. 2 chain drive and a shaft drive.

Chains are more flexible in alignment, cheaper to modify ratios, can be run open without undue wear. They are also nearly immune to slip. Chain drives tend to be bulky compared to gear drives. Chains tend to stretch and wear under load faster than gear sets. A 3 speed chain oil bath chain drive rated at 700 HP was 6' wide, 4' high, and 6' long. Quite bulky compared to the Allison automatic transmission that replaced it. Chain drives tend to be noisiest of the 3 drive types.

The positive drive of a chain or gear train lends itself to timing applications.

Belts have most of the above advantages, but are prone to slip if not tensioned enough. A belt drive may typically slip when a load is suddenly applied, or under high torque. Belts can be used as poorboy clutches, but only in low HP applications. Belts are limited in power transmission, but multiple belt drives are around transmitting several hundred HP. Those large belt drives are quite bulky. One mud pump drive I remember had a 16" diameter drive pulley and a 72" driven pulley. IIRC, there were 12 - 1 1/4" wide belts. The driver was a pair of 379 Cat engines. Naturally aspirated, they were rated at 550 HP each. Relatively recent clogged belts try to give the positive drive of a chain combined with the quieter running of a belt-a compromise not without issues like tensioning, alignment, and timing issues.

Gear drives are more compact by comparison, rarely are run open due to wear. Are quite finicky as to alignment. Adequately lubricated and properly aligned, gear sets are relatively long lasting and suffer less power loss than either of the above. Gears are also positive drive nearly immune to slippage. Gear sets are more expensive to make and can be prohibitively expensive for low numbers of units. The solution in industry has been to make a few units and ratios and then mix and match, or add an external speed change - look at truck transmissions. 3 major mfrs each with a range of maybe 8 major units, paired with maybe one of 6 rearends from one of 3 makes. Very few heavy trucks (Mack might be the exception) are built totally from in-house assemblies. A KW, Pete, WesternStar,Sterling, and Volvo may have identical power trains.....

Last edited by camdigger; 11-17-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Hey...wait...is there a prize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post

Chains are more flexible in alignment, cheaper to modify ratios, can be run open without undue wear. They are also nearly immune to slip. Chain drives tend to be bulky compared to gear drives. Chains tend to stretch and wear under load faster than gear sets. A 3 speed chain oil bath chain drive rated at 700 HP was 6' wide, 4' high, and 6' long. Quite bulky compared to the Allison automatic transmission that replaced it. Chain drives tend to be noisiest of the 3 drive types.

The positive drive of a chain or gear train lends itself to timing applications.

Belts have most of the above advantages, but are prone to slip if not tensioned enough. A belt drive may typically slip when a load is suddenly applied, or under high torque. Belts can be used as poorboy clutches, but only in low HP applications. Belts are limited in power transmission, but multiple belt drives are around transmitting several hundred HP. Those large belt drives are quite bulky. One mud pump drive I remember had a 16" diameter drive pulley and a 72" driven pulley. IIRC, there were 12 - 1 1/4" wide belts. The driver was a pair of 379 Cat engines. Naturally aspirated, they were rated at 550 HP each. Relatively recent clogged belts try to give the positive drive of a chain combined with the quieter running of a belt-a compromise not without issues like tensioning, alignment, and timing issues.

Gear drives are more compact by comparison, rarely are run open due to wear. Are quite finicky as to alignment. Adequately lubricated and properly aligned, gear sets are relatively long lasting and suffer less power loss than either of the above. Gears are also positive drive nearly immune to slippage. Gear sets are more expensive to make and can be prohibitively expensive for low numbers of units. The solution in industry has been to make a few units and ratios and then mix and match, or add an external speed change - look at truck transmissions. 3 major mfrs each with a range of maybe 8 major units, paired with maybe one of 6 rearends from one of 3 makes. Very few heavy trucks (Mack might be the exception) are built totally from in-house assemblies. A KW, Pete, WesternStar,Sterling, and Volvo may have identical power trains.....
Excellent explanation! Pretty much sums it all up in a few simple paragraphs...

Measure twice and cut once...or...wait, was that the other way around?
Old 11-17-2020, 03:43 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
Excellent explanation! Pretty much sums it all up in a few simple paragraphs...
Well, he is an engineer

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdigger View Post

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Very much appreciated!