Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 03-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Kibble King

Send a message via AIM to OldRedFord Send a message via Yahoo to OldRedFord

In two to three weeks I should have the drawings for the shop from the building company.

What equipment would you guys use to put up the building if you were doing it yourself?

Even if I did build a house right after the shop it would just be the exterior shell of the house and I'd work on the inside over time.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
In two to three weeks I should have the drawings for the shop from the building company.

What equipment would you guys use to put up the building if you were doing it yourself?

Even if I did build a house right after the shop it would just be the exterior shell of the house and I'd work on the inside over time.
https://www.google.com/search?q=visa...R36GJsMPBWZHM:
Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM
Kibble King

Quote:
Originally Posted by randydupree View Post

I think credit card debt is very undesirable.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord View Post
I think credit card debt is very undesirable.

Smart man!

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 PM
Why, Hell Yes!

We pay them off every month,no interest.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:01 AM
Director of Languages

Quote:
Your right about one thing,you will need a firewall.
My building inspector said i needed 2 layers of drywall on each side of the wall between the house and shop.

Other building inspectors said i only needed a double layer on one side.
We had to please our local inspector,so we have 2 layers of 5/8th drywall on each side of the wall.
The wall is 80' long and 18' tall.
Plus the doors had to be fire rated doors.
I have a double door going out from the mudroom and a single door leading into the shop bathroom.

The shop side of the building is 4000sf.
In this shop i have my mill,my lathe,my wood working shop,most of my tools,my welders,my iron worker,chop saw,band saws and my parts washer.

No smells so far,and i do use the small gas forklift in that shop.
Carol paints her projects in there too,spray can stuff and bigger projects get rolled or brushed.

The chop saw probably makes the most smells (we don't allow smoking on the property,if you want to smoke or dip,go somewhere else).

This shop has no windows and only 2 outside doors,10x10 feet.

Dunno, for a firewall between a shop and possible living quarters I'd want one thing, concrete. four block walls, a slab roof, industrial fire door into the shop and I'd be slow to have windows into the shop. do they have such a thing as fire rated windows?

If I was actually using it as living quarters personally I'd keep the shop to living space door locked too, a bit of seperation between church and state is no harm. Great that you can do it, but I dont think I'd be able for the discipline of not wandering in filthy
Old 03-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Made From Scratch

Firewall construction will depend on local code, and also more than likely on how the inspector views the risk level of the shop.
Firewalls have a time rating on them, and adding layers of drywall increases the time rating. So if code or the inspector want you to have a half hour fire rating, you are going to have to build one way and if they decide it should be an hour then your are going to have to do a lot more.
You won't be able to do a mezzanine over the living area unless you fire proof the ceiling as well. A firewall has to go floor to ceiling with no penetrations (doors have to be fire rated, heating duct has to have automatic fire dampers which have to be inspected, you are better off to have a solid wall), cracks have to be caulked with fireproof expanding caulking, and I believe you will need to use steel studs as having flammable material inside the wall will reduce the rating to whatever is on the outside of it instead of getting you credit for the sheetrock on both sides.

I think the problems with fumes could be taken care pretty easily but it will cost more money. I would get a mini split for heating and cooling the living area and mount it on an exterior wall so that it isn't pulling air from the shop area, and would somewhat give the living area positive pressure.
I wouldn't even have a door from the shop to the living area, each should have its own exterior door. If you really think you can't walk outside and back in then you need to put a mudroom with double doors in between, and it needs to have an exhaust fan blowing air back into the shop.

I think living in the shop temporarily would be a faster solution to moving out to your property but I think doing it properly will be expensive and will push back your timeline for building a house.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:10 AM
Why, Hell Yes!

wow! i had no idea you could have so many problems with the shop attahed to the house!
If i had to do it again,i would.
We love being able to walk out from the mudroom into the shop.

I do have the other building thats not attached,thats where we do the nasty work,we can get two 45 foot motorhomes in and we have a 6 foot deep pit 40 feet long and 4 feet wide,which makes underside work so easy.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:49 PM
Made From Scratch

Quote:
wow! i had no idea you could have so many problems with the shop attahed to the house!
If i had to do it again,i would.
We love being able to walk out from the mudroom into the shop.

I do have the other building thats not attached,thats where we do the nasty work,we can get two 45 foot motorhomes in and we have a 6 foot deep pit 40 feet long and 4 feet wide,which makes underside work so easy.
I don't consider them problems so much as expenses. If you want to do it right it will require more than just throwing in some 2x4's with drywall on one side.

I do most of my work in an attached garage, and for the most part it's no big deal, but occasionally when I'm using the chop saw alot or painting, you get some odor in the house. I also have to watch I don't walk past the belt grinder and then go inside as I leave a trail of iron gray footprints....

I didn't post that as a "don't do this" I posted that as someone who has built buildings that had fire rated rooms and had to deal with inspectors. Some guys will just glance at it and say you're good, others will demand pictures and documentation that there are indeed 3 layers of sheetrock. Fire dampers in heating duct are a pain in the ass to test, and if your knuckles get in the way it doesn't shut right and the guy fails you. Most folks won't have any of those problems but I think people should know about them ahead of time so it doesn't bite them in the ass later.

I had a building fail because they got dryfall paint on the glass plugs in the sprinkler system. The inspector read me the riot act and acted like I was personally trying to kill everyone inside. The sprinkler company wouldn't come back, and the painters worked for my company so it was my baby, and I spent 4 days on a scissor lift scrubbing sprinkler heads off in between dealing with my subs. I finally got them done and paid the fee for a 2nd inspection and the dickhead guy was on vacation....his replacement was a afraid of heights and when he saw the sprinkler heads were 25 feet high he slapped me on the shoulder and said I trust you, lets just get that signed off buddy!

You never know who you're dealing with and have to have your shit together or suffer the consequences.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Kibble King

Even though I am zoned A1 I don't know how anal the building inspector will be.

The more I think about it the more I like having the house and shop separate.