Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 10-21-2020, 11:08 PM
Nutbuster

I forgot to take some pics today.
I'll do it in the morning.
I did get the cylinder off. I have it mocked up. Now I can get some measurements.
Its going to be easy to mount. I just want to make sure its aligned with the slides.
This may be why the welds are broken on the pusher.
I got to looking at that today. I need to measure that too. I'll do it in the morning.
I want to extend the cylinder and check that.
I think this will be an excellent splitter.
It just needs a little tinkering around with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using ShopFloorTalk mobile app

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

I'm mostly worthless! You'll see.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Nutbuster

Also before I change any hydraulics on it I want to run it. I would like to see how it performs.
I can tweak the hydraulics on it if it needs it.
I have just the blocks of wood I can test it with.
That'll be the easy part. I gotta get the welding out of the way.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."- Albert Einstien

Old 10-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Auction Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman56 View Post
Milo, The beam is a 8" x 12" H beam 1/2" web. The builder turned it a quarter turn when they built it.
I don't like the way it is. I think too much wood chips accumulate in the grooves.
Its going to work tho.
I'm just helping Tyler get it runable. I'm not planning on a major build here. Lol

The pic looked like it was a beam on its side. Agreed, I would not have done that either. Much stronger straight up. Should work OK but will collect trash as you say. Glad to see you back here.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:42 PM
Nutbuster

Ok here's what I got done. Besides working 14 days in a row, running out of acetylene, the torch tip being screwed up, running to the HoDePo to get a 2 1/4" hole saw, looking for the grinder for who knows how long and running the Towmotor out of gas.
It was all this piddling around and finally here I am at this point! Lol
I did get the plates cut out. The holes cut. I should have went to Dad's house and borrowed his little drill press. I know it would have been better than my drill press. I could have clamped it to the outside table and drilled them. But now the plates are done. I still have to drill the mounting holes. Before I drill them I'm going to check the stroke with the pusher hooked up. Just knowing if I drill them mounting holes it won't be right.
I'm going to burn out the pusher and 2 more gussets then I'll be able to start welding.
This splitter has a 7" cylinder. I think its quite capable of being able to bend things!
Lol Lets see!Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_130954.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	158234Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_131000.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	158235Click image for larger version

Name:	20201031_131014.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	158236

Old 10-31-2020, 04:39 PM
Auction Addict

Looking forward to seeing the results of the blinding bright light work.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:04 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Digr, I need to move the rod up higher on the pusher so there isn't so much leverage on the upper part. Then it'll reduce trying to bend the upper part of the pusher.
Somebody put all kinds of crappy welds on it too. And inferior gussets too.
I want to make it like the pusher on my splitter. I don't have any trouble with that one.

Raising the cylinder was my first thought, too.
You did not say what steel was bending other than the obvious Mickey Mouse brand push plate. I would suggest welding a slider plate onto the base beam that overhangs the base beam about 1" on each side. Have a shoe on the pusher plate with bolt on bars that grip the under edge of the slider plate and have shims for wear compensation so you can keep it snug.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 11-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Nutbuster

Gerry, I would have built this differently. The beam is 1/4 turn from the way I would have done it. I'm not going to reengineer this. I'm going to get it to work. This is only a repair.

And yes the only bending is the crappy pusher. I'm going to build a new one similar to the one on my splitter. I don't have any problems with that one.

I just need to check the alignment of the cylinder mounting point with the ram extended to make sure there isn't any binding. This thing is going to be a good machine once I get it repaired. I think its just poor engineering on the pusher.
I like what you're saying and the idea.
The builder had a different idea tho.
I didn't build this one. Lol

Old 11-02-2020, 11:26 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Gerry, I would have built this differently. The beam is 1/4 turn from the way I would have done it. I'm not going to reengineer this. I'm going to get it to work. This is only a repair.

And yes the only bending is the crappy pusher. I'm going to build a new one similar to the one on my splitter. I don't have any problems with that one.

I just need to check the alignment of the cylinder mounting point with the ram extended to make sure there isn't any binding. This thing is going to be a good machine once I get it repaired. I think its just poor engineering on the pusher.
I like what you're saying and the idea.
The builder had a different idea tho.
I didn't build this one. Lol

As the builder laid the I beam on it's side, now the channel is filling with bark and sawdust, laying a slider plate overtop of the Beam to guide the pushplate, that way means that every stroke cleans the area of debris.
But whatever it takes to make it work.
I have a homemade splitter that was assembled with pigeon shit, and he did some things right and some wrong. I wish the builder had made the splitter knife movable to adjust for different lengths of wood.

edit:
Looking over the original pics I see how he dealt with the debris. Similar to my idea, but I don't know if it adds strength.
I do like that cylinder, though.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson

Last edited by Ironman; 11-02-2020 at 11:56 AM.