Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 PM

Default Husqvarna or Stihl

I need a new chainsaw. I have an outdoor wood burner and cut about 7 cords a year from my 20 acres of woods. I used to have a Husqvarna XP series and it was very powerful, but very heavy. I've used a Stihl 441 CM and same thing. I don't need one as powerful as those were, and would like something a little lighter. I'll be putting an 18" bar on it and that should be plenty.

I "think" I have it narrowed down between the Stihl MS 362 C-M, or the Husqvarna 562XP. Pretty much identical when it comes to power, features and price. (About $750.00)
I'm going to write out what I consider to be the pros of each because it helps me to get them down on paper, more just to help me figure it out. Feel free to give your input if you have any.

The Stihl is a pound lighter than the Husky.
The Stihl has 2 piston rings as opposed to one on the Husky.
The Stihl seems to have more parts availability locally.

The Husky has a faster acceleration and chain speed which cuts a little bit faster.
The Husky has just a teeny bit more power.
The Husky has a primer bulb.
The Husky has an aluminum handle as compared to the plastic handle of the Stihl.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I don't know if you would have the same problem we have here but id say go with the Stihl as we find it hard to get Husqvarna chain saw parts here
and most repair shops don't even want to take one in around here.
but Stihl seem to be easier to get parts for and get repaired by most shops
but it all boils down to preference and price for most people

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Post Fiend

You can’t go wrong with either saw. Go run a tank full through both of them and see which you like. I run stihl, BIL works at a stihl saw shop.

I’m just glad your not asking about some damn poo-lan......
Old 09-26-2018, 12:23 AM
Blast this!

I have sthil ,huskey and Jonesred . Buy the dealer you have the faith in .
Old 09-26-2018, 12:39 AM
Elite Member

I wouldn’t say that the primer bulb is a feature. I would say that if the primer bulb makes starting faster or easier, that faster easier starting is a feature.

I’d rather be able to order parts online and get them delivered to my door. With Stihl (I have 4 of them), I call the dealer, he orders the parts, but only once a week, then I wait, wait, wait, and then I have to drive 20 miles each way to pick them up. And plus the f’n dealer charges freight. I have 7 or 8 dealers to choose from, but it’s always the same story.

I have a 261CM, but I wouldn’t buy a more expensive computer saw unless I had access to the computer. I like the 261, but I’m glad I have bigger saws.

Can’t say anything about the Husqy. I don’t have any experience.

I’m glad all the controls on my saws are in the same place, I don’t have to stop and think about where the switch is.

How come you only want one saw? I don’t understand.

What brand burner do you have?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Connoisseur of Old Iron

First, I own Huskys, I have run both. But bought my 455 Rancher when my local Stihl dealer did not have similar saw in stock. I run a 20 in. bar on it, that size bar is still not big enough a lot of times. I have to cut from both sides on a lot of trees I fall. I do not know the max bar length on the saw you listed, but over powering a short bar is better than lugging a saw woth too long a bsr and chain.
I would buy Husky again.
Dan.

Sent from my Samsung J7 using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Miller 10-E Wire Feeder
Miller Spectrum 2050 Plasma Cutter
Hobart AC/DC stick welder
Hobart 175 Mig
Craftsman O/A set
Turbo torch and B-tank
Old 09-26-2018, 05:46 AM
Boiler God

I own a Husky (rancher 455) and am very satisfied, I’d buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:28 AM
Elite Member

Talking

I have a Husky 51 1999 model bought new, 16" bar and a 2003 55 Rancher, 18" bar bought used about 5 years ago. I do nearly all of the cutting for 2 outdoor stoves. My awesome dealer one man shop died of cancer a few years ago so I am on my own. I rebuilt the 55 top end from Ebay parts and both saws have new carbs this year. There are other shops around but I have not needed them yet.

I do have a Stihl weed whip and Stihl pole saw I bought at the Rural King. Dad runs a Stihl since the Local John Deere dealer sells and services. I am not partial either way they are all good.

I stated using rec gas (no ethanol) this year on all outdoor equipment so hopefully the carbs will last longer.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Standard of Excellence

My wife bought me the Husky Rancher for Christmas. I have enjoyed using it, seems like a darn fine saw. All parts are available online and decent pricing.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

I'll vote for Stihl. Have them both, and the Stihl is just a bit better. Parts and service are everywhere.
The primer button is handy when you want to flood the engine, and when it cracks every two years you get a chance to play with tools.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson