Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Elite Member

Default Small engine help requested

Good afternoon gentlemen. I own a Cub cadet 50" zero turn lawn mower (2004 RZT 50). My dad found it for me in the local paper a number of years ago, and I love it.

For the past couple of years (ok maybe 5 or 6) the solenoid took a shit (I assumed) and replacing it didn't fix the problem. This year the seat safety switch started acting up.

I don't have any kids, there are rarely any here. I've decided I want to get rid of all safety switches (except low oil shutdown), and install a toggle switch, push button start switch and a new hd solenoid.

I picked up all the parts and intend to do the deed this weekend. I understand the basics:

Toggle switch passes power to push button and grounds ignition in off position. Push button provides momentary power to solenoid and solenoid is obviously the starter switch.

My question is, which wires do I need off of the engine, and where do they go? Is there a stupid simple wiring diagram out there that I haven't been able to find?

Sent from my [device_name] using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Post Fiend

Oof. More when the minions hit the bed......
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Lord of the Minions

JB, found this on the 2nd page of results.

Found a schematic for a 50" RZT for 2005, but not for 2004. See attached file my friend.

I really do not know the difference between a readable schematic or a 'stupid simple' schematic, but do know this one is easy to follow and trace what is needed. lol
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RZT 50 (2005).pdf (37.1 KB, 35 views)

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Post Fiend

We can get you where you want to be. In all honesty it would easier to diagnose the issue with your current set up and then repair it.

The red flag for me is when you say you changed the solenoid and it still doesn’t work? What do you currently do to start the mower?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
We can get you where you want to be. In all honesty it would easier to diagnose the issue with your current set up and then repair it.

The red flag for me is when you say you changed the solenoid and it still doesn’t work? What do you currently do to start the mower?
Was he talking about the fuel shut off solenoid? I have a 2005 with the B&S and it does not have the fuel shut off provision any longer. Been that way a few years now. I saw the how-to on youtube.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH35 View Post
Was he talking about the fuel shut off solenoid? I have a 2005 with the B&S and it does not have the fuel shut off provision any longer. Been that way a few years now. I saw the how-to on youtube.
Well he mentioned a new HD solenoid so I presumed it was the starter solenoid. But hey I’ve fucked up before.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Well he mentioned a new HD solenoid so I presumed it was the starter solenoid. But hey I’ve fucked up before.
my bad. He did mention solenoid and starter in same sentence.

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.--Red Green

Home is where the G91G28X0Y0 is.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
You are correct - starter solenoid. Currently, I turn the key to the "on" position and take an old battery cable and jump the starter to the positive battery post. Don't judge me - it works. lol
Old 06-08-2018, 08:13 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFab View Post
You are correct - starter solenoid. Currently, I turn the key to the "on" position and take an old battery cable and jump the starter to the positive battery post. Don't judge me - it works. lol
No judgement. Just want to make sure once you do all this work you don’t have to jump the solenoid to start it.

If you turn the key to crank does anything click?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Currently, I turn the key to the "on" position and take an old battery cable and jump the starter to the positive battery post. Don't judge me - it works. lol
I've had a few mowers in the past as well as the Mustang currently in use and had the same situations with the solenoid.

If I could jump start by shorting out the contacts, I usually check the switch that is supposed to do so.

It never fails, I change the switch and all is good, or a bad wire for that 'start function'.

Screw safety, the seat switch was the first to go as if I'm wanting to mow on the inclines I have, which would be a 6' deep ditch with damn near straight sides, I deserve to be beat to death in the ensuing tumble to the bottom.

Screw safety, the safety switches that killed the pto driving the blades when pulling the levers to reverse/back up were the next to go.

I left the deck exhaust shroud in place, added better covers for the deck belts and pulleys.

Having a mower or trimmer two wheeled type that will kill the engine once you let go of the handle bar, sucks as much crap as can be. All are zip tied down. Again, if I'm that stupid to stick my hands under the deck, I deserve the consequences.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!

Last edited by LW Hiway; 06-08-2018 at 10:13 AM.