Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Been busy trying to be at to many jobs at once and somehow forgot to take the stinger for the portable welder this morning. Didn't realize it til at the job 10 miles away, and being too proud to call the boss to bring me one, did what I had to do to make it work. Had some funny looks from the construction guys, but never had such a good connection before! Originally tried to take the quick connect cover off, but screw wanted to strip, so took knife out and cut some of the wire insulation back and stuck the rod into the wire and clamped it. Will replace the end with a new one at the shop.

This was the job that we showed up to install the posts and found out they poured the floor the day before. So the posts were too short. But before we actually got around to shorting the posts, the contractor called and said they made a mistake with the floor height and concrete walls, and had to add another 4 3/4" of wood, so now our posts are too short again. And the two beam pockets are off a couple of inches too. So I guess it fits right in to forget the welding stinger. :-)

Oh yah, two of the beams were too long too. One was able to cut some wood out and squeeze it in, but had to take a cut off grinder to take 2 1/2" off the other one. Now just have to go back in the morning with two 4 13/16" stub post for the beam pockets to raise the beams up, have them setting on temp wood now.

Really wanted to call off this job today, since driving out was in white out conditions, and really should not have been on the road, but job had to get done. Sent from my iPod touch using SFT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3032031089.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	137074   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2857038158.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	137075  

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Auction Addict

Did a mobile job that way, way back. Boss showed up at noon and saw the vise grips/cable/rod I used. He asked why not come back and get a stinger whip. I said hour delay, but this worked just fine. Clapped me on the back and said hop in the truck, I'm taking you to lunch.

It was all flat work so no big deal. Your right, I did notice this getup did make for a nice electrical connection too.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 PM
The Real Deal

LOL I have used the ground clamp a time or two
Old 12-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Standard of Excellence

You can bend the end of the rod over until it is a vee shape and stuff it into the QD end. Don't know how I know that!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Lord of the Minions

My GAWD Brian, how could you forget your Vice Grips.

VG's make pretty good stinger handles as well. lol

Old saying around these parts, "Adapt and overcome". Or was that "When met with superior forces, Guile and Deceit can overcome"?

Either way, job done and won.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Rufus Send a message via Yahoo to Rufus

Brian, that sure is some thrifty thinking

Tim
Old 12-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
You can bend the end of the rod over until it is a vee shape and stuff it into the QD end. Don't know how I know that!
I was actually thinking about grinding up a wedge to make the rods stick in the QC end, but while thinking about that decided on the wire idea. I knew I was going to figure something out so I thought about it while I was setting the posts and beans, and it worked out.

Brian

Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
My GAWD Brian, how could you forget your Vice Grips. VG's make pretty good stinger handles as well. lol Old saying around these parts, "Adapt and overcome". Or was that "When met with superior forces, Guile and Deceit can overcome"? Either way, job done and won.
I've been running around with my head cut off lately. Usually we show up with a work van with all the welder and tools needed. All the tools stay in the van, so we just hop in and go when needed. But, the head gasket is blown on new remanufactured motor so we are back to grabbing the tools we think we might need and load up for each job. And I have been leaving some tools on the one big job we are doing, so my mind is scattered as to where what tool is where. And for some reason, I didn't have any vice grips with me this day. Just took c-clamps. :-). Maybe one of these days we will get the van fixed right.

Brian

Old 12-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Glad to know I'm in good company here! Gotta be flexible at all times.

Today, had to go mount those two stub posts for the beam pockets and managed to remember a stinger today. But I have to say, the wire clamp did work better. I need to clean up the stinger some for a better connection.

Headed to the next job, and they had a guy come out to fire up the teleboom forklift to help set a 12" X 26# X 12' beam. I had to weld the two posts up to the stub columns that the wood guys mounted to the crawl space foundation so the could put the floor on. Then they built the wall where the posts went and the beam was bolted up above. Well, they managed to not mount the stub posts very plumb, so they have a pretty good bend in them at the weld Seam to get the top where it needed to be.

I didn't really go over the details with the boss and he did all the math figuring, I did field measure with him for the columns, but forgot the actual numbers. So one of the other workers cut the posts and painted them, and they marked the tops LP and RP, for lake post and road post. So that is how I welded them up.

Well, there was about five of the carpenters there to help me with the beam, and they said why use the lift. We can just carry it and set it by hand. I'm thinking, ok, but I am not going to bust my back when we have this nice lift running right here, but if you guy want, have at it. I can watch that just fine. As soon as I had the posts welded, they put the beam up, and then they left for another job.

We bolted in the beam, rolled up the leads, and tools, and for some reason I decided to put my laser up on the beam to see how level it was. Only 3/8" out in 12'. WTF. Think the posts were mismarked so welded them up on the wrong stubs. Was going to leave it, and fix it if the wood guys complained later, but conscience got the better of me and said don't leave that way. We do better work than that and don't cut corners if we can. So thought about making a shim plate to bolt in to raise the one end, but realized that would put the beam too high and then the carpenter wood have to plane the top wood plate, so I decided to cut the tall post weld out and lower that end. Fun cutting with a wood stud 4" away from the post. Was fun welding too. So it was about an extra 2 hours before we pulled off that job.

I really need to start double checking everything we do. Can't take anything for granted that it was done right. :-(

And I know I make my fair share of the mistakes. I am just biding my time for the next week. Going on vacation for two weeks. And I am leaving the state ! I could not believe that the boss told the construction Forman on our big job that we should have all the truss modifications done and steel up and should be ready for cutting holes in the roof for the next phase by 1-6-17. I should miss putting up the 21x62# beams that weigh 1800#s 18' in the air with our hand lifts if he has the schedule estimated right.:-) Hope everyone stays safe.

Brian

Old 12-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Pics. Not hard to believe that the carpenters could not plumb the 24" tall posts any better. Lol . Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2606556068.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	137089   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2328320043.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	137090   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-788086986.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	137091   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1964868478.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	137092  

Last edited by toprecycler; 12-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.