Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Mechanical & Electrical

SFT Search:   

Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Lubrication Consultant

Default Tail light trailer wiring issue on 06 Dodge Ram

Ok so Now I need a little help as I'm stuck and a bit stressed

I'm having an issue with a 06 Dodge Ram the 7 way and 6 way trailer connectors plugs (truck side)

The truck had a flat bed installed a few years ago and I have had to fix broken wires at the truck side plug before on this truck a few times.

Now who ever did the wiring when bed was installed they did a crap job as they tapped in the harness and did use the snap lock in some places and just striped insulator back on others and mad jump wires yada yada yada
total rats nesting job of it...

So I have cleaned up the rats nest eliminated the not nessocery jumper wires...

Now I have R & L turn at both 7 way and 6 way I have brake lights and of course flashers. all of these have good voltage no issue...

I have made new grounds from harness and bed to frame.

The issue is the Tail/Park lights is a very light glow and low voltage but a glow in the correct prong on both the 7 and 6 ways and when I jiggle the test light ground it will flash bright but go back to low glow...

All the lights on truck work properly no issues nice and bright

My thought tells me the power wire to the outlet/Plug is grounding on something but I can not find it in the harness or on the frame in a 3an a half foot length in to harness....

An so I am frustrated and stuck on where else to look for the issue any of you Dodge pro mechanics have any insight you don't mind sharing
I don't know if it is because I'm tired stressed and totally frustrated that I cant find it as I am usually really good at automotive electrical and do repairs quite often for people

But I am stuck on this one maybe because its not a broke wire or direct short and that is glows low under powered and then flashes when I shake the test light ground and I have tried several grounding places and 3 different test lights and meters just to be sure it was not my test equipment.. but with the same exact results...

I Have Only One Wish, To Achieve "Pura Vida" In All That I Do!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Auction Addict

The answer to electrical issue on vehicles seldom are the same answer. That is why I hate tracking down electrical issues. Have you put in new bulbs to see if you have any bad ones. Poor contact on the tungsten inside the bulb can cause what you described.

We are losing sight of civility in government and politics. Debate and dialogue is taking a back seat to the politics of destruction and anger and control. Dogma has replaced thoughtful discussion between people of differing views.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 PM
Lubrication Consultant

No bulb problem…. problem is at the Truck 7 and the 6 way plugs only

lights on truck all work rite.. trailers work properly on other vehicles

just not on this one with the park lights when you hook any trailer to it
but truck park lights work rite on truck..

Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM

You could have a damaged wire with bunch of strands broken or corroded with only a few strands left to conduct current.

This can be difficult to locate with a multimeter. If the wire only had one strand intact and you measure resistance or voltage they will both measure normal values. The trick is to measure current since the damaged wire will not be able to pass enough current through the remaining strands in the wire.

You could try a jumper wire to bypass the existing wire and check if the tail lights function normally.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:24 AM
I can dig it

If there was a bare spot ‘robbing power’ it would still blow a fuse. There’s some sort of ground issue. Poor grounds will often show as ‘working’, except the current is still going somewhere.....often it will feed back through another circuit.

A lot of these trucks have separate systems for truck versus trailer lights now, running through separate relays etc. So just because the truck lights work, it may not mean the trailer plug/feed is working.

Sent from my iPhone using ShopFloorTalk mobile app
Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Post Fiend

Pretty sure 06 is when they went to the TIPM. Early years of that system could not handle trailers or beds with shitty wiring. After three or four faults it fries the TIPM.

Have you tried hooking the trailer up? It’s a canbus for the lights on any ram after 03 it might need to “see” the lights before it turns them on.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinDodge View Post
Pretty sure 06 is when they went to the TIPM. Early years of that system could not handle trailers or beds with shitty wiring. After three or four faults it fries the TIPM.

Have you tried hooking the trailer up? It’s a canbus for the lights on any ram after 03 it might need to “see” the lights before it turns them on.
It did have a short in it earlier the TIPM was replaced by another shop actually last month... although it was replaced with a used one...
so I guess it don't mean its good...

Thanks Smoke... It was something I was not considering till now you mention it... mind set was it was replaced but Just forgot about it being used not new

Last edited by MetalWolf; 01-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalWolf View Post
Ok so Now I need a little help as I'm stuck and a bit stressed
The issue is the Tail/Park lights is a very light glow and low voltage but a glow in the correct prong on both the 7 and 6 ways and when I jiggle the test light ground it will flash bright but go back to low glow...
As well as the Canbus info you may have provided the answer right here.
Check your ground and wiring to the ground pin.
If he had not destroyed the wiring, the stock plug is very good, I find. Much better then the aftermarket ones for staying clean and un-corroded. Probably not an issue for you as you don't put salt on your roads there.

"I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.” Jane Philpott
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM
Lubrication Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
As well as the Canbus info you may have provided the answer right here.
Check your ground and wiring to the ground pin.
If he had not destroyed the wiring, the stock plug is very good, I find. Much better then the aftermarket ones for staying clean and un-corroded. Probably not an issue for you as you don't put salt on your roads there.
yeah I'll be crawling back under it after while and recheck every thing
I'll get it figured out eventually got 50 things need to done helper is at the age of chasing skirts an don't want to show up when he's supposed to so have been a bit overwhelmed for the last few days and I guess I get frustrated and brain shuts down in "dah mode" the where was I at with this memory syndrome

maybe I just need to throw in the towel an give all this up and watch tv an play video games all day, Or start chasing girdles with knee high stockings oh an blue hair

Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 PM
Lubrication Consultant

I ended up having to replace the TIPM after all and redid half the rear harness.. so now some of the Pains in my ass is gone with three other jobs today out the door.....

So A big Thank You to SmokinD. for taking the time to post advice on where to look when I was stumped.... Thank You!

all three belonged to the same guy truck wiring, trailer brakes replaced and new bearings and the ignition switch and glow plugs on his tractor...

It seams it is the season where everyone needs glow plugs replaced in their tractors they don't worry about them till the winter cause tractor will start all summer long but now its a little colder in the AM hours so they don't start with out a little help from the glow plugs but they wait so long they are a bitch to get out.....

now I Have three more tractors to repair and 4 vehicles to repair and the so called rebuilt Artic Kitten engine came in so that's on the front burner now too.... but the one I don't look too forward to is the darn smart car man I hate those things but its work I guess... heater issues..

been a long hard day started at 9 ish a few stop and think about it moments make a post or two while searching out info and parts on the net.....

and just now getting buttoned up an out of the shop for the night just to get back at in the morning once again....