Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:

Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 PM

LW, I dredged up some pics of mine taken before the camera was broken ( no it wasn't me). I made this from junk I had lying around. The frame was made of old chainlink fence posts. The tub is 3/16 plate. Having a hitch on either end is the way to go IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trucks 026.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	77334   Click image for larger version

Name:	trucks 027.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	77335   Click image for larger version

Name:	trucks 028.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	77336   Click image for larger version

Name:	trucks 029.JPG
Views:	502
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	77337  

Never drink downstream from the herd
Old 05-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
The frame was made of old chainlink fence posts.
Dang! That's unlike any chainlink posts I've ever seen. Looks more like some sort of H beam that's galvanized.

Your scoop is a carbon copy of what I bought yesterday. Yours is nicely done.

I had to run into Lafayette at noon to HF and picked up a quicktatch affair that I will morph onto the drawbar works of one of the SA's and on to Southern Steel to pick up different sizes in flat bar. I had been working into and past the scrap pile the last few weekends.

But, I'll have to be crafty to be sure and get it together before a Monday comes as Pop's might need use of the tractor. Hmmmmm. Crafty!

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks LW. The fence posts were from the local HS football field. Those are probably from the 1960's or 70's. It is a small I beam that's 2 3/4 in. tall and about 2 in. wide. I ground off the galv where I welded.

When I was building the scoop I didn't have anything to reference the
size so I made a WAG. If I really load the scoop to overflowing it's hard to keep my front wheels on the ground. My little 24 hp Kubota pulls it easy enough. Maybe your Dad won't need the tractor this weekend. Good luck.

George

Never drink downstream from the herd
Old 05-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
Maybe your Dad won't need the tractor this weekend. Good luck.
I most probably won't tear into any of this over the weekend. I have a few other hotter irons in the fire. But I now have all of the pieces to make life easier for us old folk.

Quoting "The Hunt". "A man will walk into hell with both eyes and arms wide open. His dog will know better."

I never thought I'd live long enough to become a grumpy old bastard. Here I am, killing it!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Roving Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW Hiway View Post
R'Bill, good find on the Fresno Scraper. While looking at that pic and doing a little more looking, I now can tell that two of the old hulks in the weeds look identical to this, see pic. The side C shaped loops are still evident as well as the altered draw bars. Wow, can you imagine how many thousands of tons of material my family must have moved with these things? Or, how many tired mules at the end of the day were fed watered and cleaned?
My folks have an old Fresno scraper,too.

Apparently, they bought it to pay off land taxes by using it, themselves, and their 8 plow horses on local road building during the depression. Last time it was used, Dad hooked it behind a U Minneapolis to drain a bog in front of the cow barn. MANY miles are put on by the operator as he follows along behind handling the reins and the "Johnson bar" cutting/filling, carrying, and dumping. With a good team, a single operator can manage, unless the cutter blade hooks a rock. When that happens, the operator can be flipped up in between the horses....

With the half broke crow bait farm teams my folks had, two are needed, one to manage the team and one to run the scraper.