Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Welding

SFT Search:   

Old 04-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Not to be used as a Flotation Device

Touchy a wee bit are wee ?

You asked a very obscure question, and got a wide range of answers.

......and then you complained ?.....

Sumthin' wrong is right.

Last edited by digger doug; 04-14-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnewby View Post
Farmersamm I hope you are doing okay, I know that there has been a lot of wildfires not too far away from you. I drove through the Vici a few days ago and stayed two days in Woodward. I have been seeing videos and pictures of the fire around Vici see where the town was evacuated. Also see where there have been fires close to Woodward with Structures burned. Take Care,
I'm over in the Central part of the State, Thank God. It's been rough for those people up there.

We had the same thing in 2012 during a bad drought. I can't believe we didn't lose everything.

https://youtu.be/80IkxlgN058 The fire went on the other side of the highway earlier in the afternoon. The truck going by was one of the trucks volunteered by the oil companies to haul water to the brush pumpers. That dood was flyin' . The road was closed to all traffic.

That evening, we thought we were in the clear, then the wind shifted, and brought the fire back South, and East.

https://youtu.be/tYYqbbaIyxs I only had a few seconds to point the camera out the window of the pickup truck before we hauled ass up to the next mile section to get out of the way.

It was a miracle we didn't suffer.

Our turn could come again though. The winds are still running about 40mph as I sit here. Gotta luv this State............Tornado season is next

http://www.farmersamm.com/
Old 04-15-2018, 02:11 AM

Thumbs up

Man that is way toooo close..Sure glad you made it through. (checked out "hauling hay" only saw your left leg move once ) ( when you started off LOL You're hired !! )

We'll be down later this summer checking out our ground around Chickasha.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 AM

My mistake Farmersamm I thought you lived close to Shattuck, Okla. The fires around the Woodward and South of there have sure been bad. There was a fire near where I live last week started by a cutting torch. We have a lot of fires nearby at a Cotton Gin and a bad fire a month or more ago when a semi driver hauling cotton bales was heading West down 54/400 toward Liberal when the cotton bales started on fire. Luckily the driver was able to drop the trailer along the highway which was a total loss afterwards.

Nothing like the wildfires they have had around Vici and that area though thankfully. Lots of homes and structures burned and some lives lost.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmersamm View Post
Buncha Heathens...............

Heathens I say!
ROLMFAO!...................Damn!
Now That made me laugh..... it brought back memories of when we kids would piss off grandma.......... She'd get so made at us grand kids and call us a Heathens and then when or parents would come pick us up grandma would go in to the ass chewing on mom about how she could not figure out how she raised such a buncha dam little Heathens.....

You know It does not pay to marry a Nymphomaniac ya finally find one
BUT... soon after the Nympho leaves and your stuck with the Maniac

-----------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to
do nothing." -Edmund Burke-
Old 04-17-2018, 08:39 PM

In case anyone is interested Jody recently put up a good video on overhead with 7018

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...head-7018.html
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 AM

Overhead is relatively straightforward IMHO.

Keep the amps at what you'd run for a flat weld. And, you can go hotter if you wish.......just a matter of increasing travel speed.

In the following pics,, and what I started the thread with........I'm using 3/32 7018. And why is he using 3/32

Sometimes I weld with a little crackerbox 225/125 plug in welder. Although it is claimed that it will run 1/8 rod........it doesn't like it. The top end taps are 115amps, and 125amps. The sweet spot is somewhere in between on this particular machine, so I generally just keep it running 3/32.

Now that I've limited it to 3/32........I have more choice in taps....from 85amps on up.

Here, I'm running somewhere around 105amps with the leetle rods IIRC. There's around maybe 125 individual welds on this job. By the time I get to welding all that out, I get pretty bored and disgusted. I really don't enjoy welding like I used to. Just get it done. 105amps gives me fast travel, as well as faster buildup, with the smaller rod.

I generally do something like this from inside and outside the structure. I'm too damn old to be climbing around to sequence welds. I do what I can reach, then drag the leads inside, and crawl inside. It's plug and chug.

If it's convenient, and I can get to the weld area without having to climb around like a monkey..........I like to backstep into the previous weld. I do not like cold starts. This way I only have one cold start on the entire perimeter of the piece of tubing.

Pic 1 is a cold start where I didn't backstep, probably couldn't see around the corner from where my body was positioned.

The rest of the pics are backstepped.

I feel that an "out of position" weld should look like a flat weld.

Included one pic of how I like to handle arc blow. To beat it, I start from outside corners, and weld "in"

Just the way I do it on something like this, not the way you might do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	144543   Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead3.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	144544   Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead4.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	144545   Click image for larger version

Name:	overhead5.jpg
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	144546  

Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM

On something I consider pretty critical, I break out the big welder. 250 GXT. It gives me the ability to run bigger rods with infinite amp control. You can find the sweet spot.

This is a suspension rebuild on a Great Dane 45' float semi trailer.

Pic 1 is the equalizer hanger.

Pic 2 is a strut attached to a hanger. Hanger is 3/16 material, so the weld is sized to the thinner of the two. Too many guys tend to over weld stuff. It's not the worst thing, but can lead to too much heat input, and distortion from too much shrinkage in larger weld deposits.

Smoother arc characteristics, more deposit without slowing travel. Amp settings are really useless to convey. I'd imagine I was running on the low end of the 130-175(maybe 180? haven't run that welder in a while) range. You just tune it to make an acceptable weld.

If you got your shit together, and the planets are aligned on that particular day, you shouldn't be able to tell what position the welds were made in. All should look the same.

There's nothing nicer than working with a good machine. I'm lucky to have a good one.

Again, this is just the way I'm used to doing it, your way might be different. Long as the end result is good......it's all same same
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	suspension6-1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	144547   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension7-1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	144548  

Last edited by Farmersamm; 04-19-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added 4 sentences
Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 AM

You can really see the difference between the two machines in the weld deposit they leave. The nicer machine has a smoother bead appearance with less ripples. I imagine it has a better rectifier setup, dunno.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM

These feeders take one Hell of a lot of abuse. I have 8 of them now, and they get pretty boring to make. I believe the first one was made about 18yrs ago, and is still straight as the day it was made. I can't believe that people buy those flimsy things at the farm store...........gotta replace them just about every other year.

I also have 3 other feeders made to open on one side so they can be loaded with a 3pt bale spike if/when the loader tractor breaks down. You have to cover your bases.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	overhead6.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	144549