Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2022, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Default Making a crankshaft

Not sure if boss charges a premium for this lathe or not. But he had figured it would take me a full day plus to do this rod. I did it in just over half a day. I was thinking that it probably should be charged and extra premium, since we usually only use it 1-2 times a year.

This year I set a goal to use it once a month. I’m putting the date on the machine each time I use it. I think I’ve used it 6 times this year so far. For some reason, my co-machinist does not want to use it, if possible.

Basically, spending time cleaning it up, so I can read the feed change tags, and downloading a manual for it, so I learned the little features of it has paid off in learning to use it efficiently.

The old guys used to have to power it off, coast to a stop, then reverse the motor to return the carriage when threading.

I learned that when you turn on the separate Quick traverse / coolant motor, I can thread to when I want to stop, turn in the cross slide to remove thread tool from the cut, and pull up on quick transverse lever and the carriage will move back to wherever I want very quickly, and then will drop back into the gear to start threading the next pass again.

This was the first time I ever used the turret slide, using the # 6 Morse taper for drilling the hole up to 2-1/2” diameter ( largest drill I have at work) I still haven’t figured out how to rotated the turret to other positions yet, not that I really need to, I just want to see the whole machine operating like it can.

We have talked about making a crane and attaching it to one of the turrets spots so I can more easily load bigger cylinders into the lathe from the front side so I don’t need to try to use the fork lift .
I have bosses permission to get it built someday, when it slows down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't know what you don't know.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." John Wooden