Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Shop & Safety

SFT Search:   

Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 PM
Iron Modification Investigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcord View Post
My shock treatment is a gallon of pool chlorine followed by a hose rinse right down the well.

My BIRM filter also has carbon to strip the chlorine.

That is the way it is commonly done and I am told is a half assed way of doing it.
The right? way is to do as you said, dump bleach down the well and recirc with a garden hose. Next, measure your static head level. Next you would mix up a 500 to 1000 gallon tank of bleach and water.
After the well has mixed the bleach in it, you now pump that tankful down the well. This brings the water level above the normal static head, and you wait for this mixture to percolate down through the bed and kill all the little fuckers in the surrounding terrain. Once the water has reached the static line, shut down circulation and wait till the next day, and then start pumping out the bleach.

Quote:
Pro's to iron rich water.

The iron is there with or without the bacteria.
Iron reducing bacteria are not harmful to humans or animals.
Iron in your water is actually a great source of iron for your body, much better than taking iron supplements, it is easily absorbed by your body. Whereas, you shit out iron supplements.
One word - Hemochromatosis.
Thiobacillus ferrooxidans bacteria combine iron and manganese with oxygen to form deposits of "rust", and a slimy build up. This deposits slime and crap into pipes and water tanks. They are a common soil bacteria, I just don't want them in my well.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM

My research today seems to say that oxidation is the best way to rid your water of iron.
Dissolved iron in water in itself should not be a problem, it is ferrous. You can't filter it, and it may cause no problems at all. When oxygen hits it, it becomes ferric (rust) and can be filtered out. If bacteria get with it, you get slime and a strong oxidizer such as H2O2 peroxide will do it.

My friend did his well in the way I described above, and so far he is happy, I am waiting to see when he thinks he needs to do it again.

The virtue is always a cover for the sin. That's the key to understanding the modern left. Whatever they're accusing you of doing, they are doing themselves but more enthusiastically. And that's definitely the story of Justin Trudeau. Tucker Carlson
Old 06-30-2019, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Some company is selling a very expensive concoction of oxalic acid. You can read the marketing material here - https://www.boresaver.com/ They want $400 US for 27 lbs. There are some YouTube’s showing a clean out if pipes and seepage conduits being cleaned with the stuff

I asked my water guy about using oxalic on iron bacteria in my well. He said they use it in community wells. I think they use a process like you described to saturate the area down in the well. I think I’ll stick with what I have for now, but I love learning about this stuff.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Man, I made the right decision tearing out the water conditioner.
I would not want to drink anything that went through that. I unscrewed the control module on the tank top as it was laying on it's side. As soon as I unscrewed it, a reddish sludge came oozing out and began to plop onto the steps. I screwed the controller back on in a hurry. Like mud with the consistency of cowshit.
Now I got to get that shit off the back steps.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Big event today.
I spliced the new water line into the well pressure system, switched it on and spotted one seep, so bled down and tightened the street el in question.
Now we have water pressure on the new line, and I removed the garden hose supply into the cold side and reconnected the plumbing.
I fired up the water tank and we now have hot and cold water.
Goodby garden hose.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Curmudgeon

Dang, sounds like you're about ready to plumb the outhouse.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Just Keep Walking

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both."
Eric Hoffer The True Believer 1951
Old 07-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter View Post
Dang, sounds like you're about ready to plumb the outhouse.
That outhouse went on the burn pile about 2002. As we have 4 toilets,2 bathtubs and 4 showers all functioning within a 80ft radius, we are fine without one
Hope to cut that number by 1/2 by winter.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:06 PM

OK, today I tested the fiber optic cable and it was a big success. I was able to upload SFT from 390ft away. So now I can start shoving the dirt back in the trench. So I did, until I realized how wet the fill is. Yeah, finally I don't have to travel to the other end of 10 acres to git to the other side of the house.

However....

Back to my fiber optic ignorance. I ordered duplex or twin fiber optic cable as simultaneous send and receive seemed to be a good thing. Then further along I ordered the transceivers. They had a xmit and receive port....fine.
Today, I unwrapped the package and noted there is a dust plug on one port and the other port is a dummy. So I figured I fucked up, and I''ll test each FO line separately and I did. This thing is plug and play and very fast, and seems to send and receive flawlessly with only one fiber line.
The cost of a duplex transceiver is 23 bucks. Should I order a new set of transceivers or just fly on one wing?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Blast this!

I like the idea of a spare line already in the hole .If function suits your need why change .
Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmosandblasting View Post
I like the idea of a spare line already in the hole .If function suits your need why change .
The more I read on networking the more I don't know.
It turns out these things can be multiplexed like electric lines by running multiple light wavelengths in them to carry different data streams. It's cheap enough that I might try the single and the duplex type and see which racks up a higher score.